Las Vegas AHL affiliate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa
^None of those teams will want to move up.

Rumors here in Utica have comets President Rob Esche as a part of the Las Vegas Management. Apparently he has already left this area and moved to Las Vegas.

Vancouver could move their affiliate in California at the same time as Las Vegas NHL team arrival.

Would that mean Utica will be left unserved if the Canucks move their AHL team to Sacramento or something?

A Las Vegas Utica ECHL team would be interesting.

Though I'd assume a team close by like the Rangers would jump in as soon as possible.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
:dunno:

6-8K seems to be the preferred size.

Yes, Fresno is empty (no pro team) on either FSU or Selland ice. About 5 hours of ground travel to LV (hard, often boring/featureless, desert driving; lots of empty "50 mph" miles and a few mountain curves).

Meh.... made runs from SLO to LV for years. It isn't that bad with the right music. :D

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Rumors here in Utica have comets President Rob Esche as a part of the Las Vegas Management. Apparently he has already left this area and moved to Las Vegas.
That is what I'm hearing as well.... Vancouver is looking at several options in the pacific northwest or Vancouver area to move the Comets for as soon as the 16-17 season. I'm sure they'll look at California as well, but I'd say they'd consider Pacific Coliseum as the eventual landing spot.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Old Sacramento arena -- not sure but could be scheduled for demolition with the new arena opening soon (lack of competition). Last I heard the ice plant was kaput; so putting a team there would require refurbishment of entire ice system, minimum.

How about a cluster of AHL teams in 2017-18 of Utah (Las Vegas) Idaho (Vancouver) and Loveland (Avalanche. Yes I know they would need to buy a team). That woild make * teams I believe West of Colorado. And provide a bridge between the Texas teams and some of the mid-west teams.

ECHL Idaho just signed two year extension affiliation agreement with NHL Dallas. Doesn't sound like that market would be available in 2017-18.

Colorado Springs might be better option for Avs.

PSGJ

May 19, 2012
Sweden
^None of those teams will want to move up.

That doesn't matter one bit. If an NHL owner wants something to happen on the minor league level he will make it happen by buying and moving teams. Maybe overpay a few hundred thousand for a franchise and the minor league owner will happily sell.

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
Hockey fans are a little tamer than those in the political realm. But, it is fun to come here and see how everyone has their own take on things.

More fun to the Silly Season, next week we shall all know more than "we think" we do now.

September is not that far away and training camps will be under way.

Have a great summer to the BEST FANS anywhere - Hockey Fans!

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa
meh when you're moving into an old building chances are the ice system will need work done on it.

The arena could work, but it would need to be downsized.

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/andy-furillo/article50196000.html
AHL president David Andrews said NHL clubs in the West are happy to keep their minor-league affiliates closer to the home base, and that more of them are looking to make California moves. Sacramento and the new arena taking shape on L Street have generated some discussion in that regard, according to Andrews.

“We would have a strong interest in that,†Andrews said. “Sacramento would certainly make sense.â€

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
One option for an AHL location that's geographically close to Las Vegas, and has a ready facility the appropriate AHL size with fully functional ice equipment:

Las Vegas.

Orleans Arena - where the Wranglers played - is like, four blocks away.

As it's own market/business, not a very solid business idea.
As part of the NHL West's "own the affiliate, operate at a loss, but be efficient as a developmental league" plan, makes total sense.

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
That doesn't matter one bit. If an NHL owner wants something to happen on the minor league level he will make it happen by buying and moving teams. Maybe overpay a few hundred thousand for a franchise and the minor league owner will happily sell.

"PSGJ":

Try buying the Hershey franchise might just piss them off and then they would buy you out......

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
One option for an AHL location that's geographically close to Las Vegas, and has a ready facility the appropriate AHL size with fully functional ice equipment:

Las Vegas.

Orleans Arena - where the Wranglers played - is like, four blocks away.

As it's own market/business, not a very solid business idea.
As part of the NHL West's "own the affiliate, operate at a loss, but be efficient as a developmental league" plan, makes total sense.

The Orleans really isn't interested in having a hockey team there, which is why there isn't one there anymore. The ECHL Wranglers didn't fail, they lost their lease with the Orleans Arena because the arena/hotel wanted to concentrate on events that brought people to town to stay in their hotel/gamble versus catering to the local crowd the hockey team brought.

I think the Orleans is out.

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa
Funny how that arena was built for the Wranglers.

What happens in 15+ years they have the same problem? Where they build an arena for hockey but make most of the money from concerts/events so they decide sell off the team?

PSGJ

May 19, 2012
Sweden
"PSGJ":

Try buying the Hershey franchise might just piss them off and then they would buy you out......

Hershey and the teams owned by NBA owners are the exceptions. Utah is not one of those exceptions.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
A Las Vegas-Utah affiliation would be awesome simply for the irony :laugh:

The cost thing isn't as much of a hurdle as people want us to believe

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
The American Hockey League has expanded west in the past year, but don't expect to see the Utah Grizzlies in the AHL anytime soon.

"From our standpoint, I don't think there's anything new going on," said CEO Kevin Bruder. "… If the opportunity arose, we would obviously look at it, but with the understanding we would do what's best for our organization and what's best for Utah."

Link>>>>

Canucks21

Feb 24, 2015
Canada
That is what I'm hearing as well.... Vancouver is looking at several options in the pacific northwest or Vancouver area to move the Comets for as soon as the 16-17 season. I'm sure they'll look at California as well, but I'd say they'd consider Pacific Coliseum as the eventual landing spot.

Old Sacramento arena -- not sure but could be scheduled for demolition with the new arena opening soon (lack of competition). Last I heard the ice plant was kaput; so putting a team there would require refurbishment of entire ice system, minimum.

ECHL Idaho just signed two year extension affiliation agreement with NHL Dallas. Doesn't sound like that market would be available in 2017-18.

Colorado Springs might be better option for Avs.

Trevor Linden said the Canucks wanted to stay in Utica for the next couple years. its too late to move a team for 16-17 anyway. maybe for 17-18 if Las Vegas also as their AHL team in the West.

For Sacramento could a AHL team play in the new building?

With Utah not wanting to make a comeback to the AHL that leaves Sacramento, Fresno, Idaho or Seattle as possible option for Las Vegas, for Vancouver its either Abbotsford, Vancouver or Utica

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Trevor Linden said the Canucks wanted to stay in Utica for the next couple years. its too late to move a team for 16-17 anyway. maybe for 17-18 if Las Vegas also as their AHL team in the West.

For Sacramento could a AHL team play in the new building?

With Utah not wanting to make a comeback to the AHL that leaves Sacramento, Fresno, Idaho or Seattle as possible option for Las Vegas, for Vancouver its either Abbotsford, Vancouver or Utica

Why is vancouver limited to the cities you mentioned? Why can't they go to maybe fresno or even sacramento or seattle?

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Why is vancouver limited to the cities you mentioned? Why can't they go to maybe fresno or even sacramento or seattle?

It would make sense for balanced clusters in the West.

Being close to the home market doesn't make too much sense if they're going to spend 50% of the time in California, Tuscon and Texas.

South Four: San Diego, Ontario, Bakersfield, Tucson
North Four: San Jose, Stockton, (VAN/LV pick two of Sacramento, Reno, Fresno).

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
For what? It's not a done deal until they say it is. [MOD]

SO....It's my opinion that YOU owe someone an apology! Like I said before there were WAY too many insiders saying it was a done deal for it to be false. Too many people who's reputations were on the line to be spewing false info.

Canucks21

Feb 24, 2015
Canada

Vancouver already try to move their AHL team to seattle when they bought the Peoria Rivermen it didnt work cuz Seattle was expecting the Coyotes to move in if they couldnt reach an agreement with Glendale Idk if they would try it again it would make since but I think if they move the Comets west they will take advantage theres no team that plays at the Coliseum.

It would make sense for balanced clusters in the West.

Being close to the home market doesn't make too much sense if they're going to spend 50% of the time in California, Tuscon and Texas.

South Four: San Diego, Ontario, Bakersfield, Tucson
North Four: San Jose, Stockton, (VAN/LV pick two of Sacramento, Reno, Fresno).

Can the new Sacramento arena can even host hockey games?

segelrj

Jun 22, 2016
Ohio via Las Vegas
Can the new Sacramento arena can even host hockey games?

The Golden 1 Center's website says that the arena can accommodate "ice shows," but I don't know if they have an ice plant on-site, or if the ice show that would come into town would have to bring in a temporary plant.

To the best of my knowledge, the Reno Events Center and Lawlor Events Center don't have ice plants at all and have no plans in the near future to construct any, so I believe Reno is out of the question for either Las Vegas or Vancouver.

In my opinion, it is either Fresno, Idaho, or Utah as the likely options for the two and that's if either Foley or CSE buy out the owners in Idaho or Utah or are able to convince them to make the jump, which as stated in earlier posts, doesn't seem like what they're inclined to do at this moment.

Canucks21

Feb 24, 2015
Canada
The Golden 1 Center's website says that the arena can accommodate "ice shows," but I don't know if they have an ice plant on-site, or if the ice show that would come into town would have to bring in a temporary plant.

To the best of my knowledge, the Reno Events Center and Lawlor Events Center don't have ice plants at all and have no plans in the near future to construct any, so I believe Reno is out of the question for either Las Vegas or Vancouver.

In my opinion, it is either Fresno, Idaho, or Utah as the likely options for the two and that's if either Foley or CSE buy out the owners in Idaho or Utah or are able to convince them to make the jump, which as stated in earlier posts, doesn't seem like what they're inclined to do at this moment.

What about just putting a team in Vivint Smart Home Arena instead of buying the Grizzlies or convincing them to move to the AHL?

For Vancouver I think they would prefer having their team play in Abbotsford or at the Pacific Coliseum or try to work something out with Seattle

segelrj

Jun 22, 2016
Ohio via Las Vegas
What about just putting a team in Vivint Smart Home Arena instead of buying the Grizzlies or convincing them to move to the AHL?

For Vancouver I think they would prefer having their team play in Abbotsford or at the Pacific Coliseum or try to work something out with Seattle

If Foley decides to buy an AHL expansion franchise (let's say, $5-10mm?) and doesn't care about losing money, then why not? Just don't know whether SLC would be going to see the AHL team instead of the Grizzlies. But when it comes to prospects and being owned by the NHL club, attendance/lack of revenue really doesn't matter. Can't see Seattle since they love the T-Birds so much, Pacific Coliseum would be nice though.

segelrj

Jun 22, 2016
Ohio via Las Vegas
Looks like we finally have some official word from Foley himself: Fresno is the front-runner, followed by Salt Lake City and Reno. Only problem with Utah is whether they want the AHL franchise to replace the ECHL franchise and the problem with Reno is sharing dates with the NBA D-League team there.

There is also a suggestion to increase the seating capacity at the practice facility that is to be built in Summerlin from 2,000 to 5,000 and placing the AHL squad there. Foley would own the facility, so the AHL team wouldn't have to pay rent and it would give an option for "local hockey fans that can't afford NHL ticket prices." It could make sense, but I don't think there is enough fans to support both the NHL franchise and an AHL affiliate.

LINK

Canucks21

Feb 24, 2015
Canada
the problem with Reno is sharing dates with the NBA D-League team there.LINK[/URL]

How would it be more of a problem than the other teams in the same situation? theres currently 5 teams in different leagues (Iowa, Texas in AHL, Fort Wayne in ECHL, Erie and Mississauga in OHL) who share buildings with NBADL teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad