Las Vegas AHL affiliate

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
So the fact that the BOG WILL meet on 6/22 and a decision on expansion WILL be made and WILL be announced that day per NHL/Bettman means that neither the league nor the commissioner are legitimate media outlets?

Then where should I get my hockey news from?

[MOD] post a link to a reputable media source to corroborate your rumor.

There is a BOG meeting, yes. They'll make a decision on expansion, perhaps. But that doesn't mean that expansion is guaranteed.

Last edited by a moderator:

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
[MOD] post a link to a reputable media source to corroborate your rumor.

There is a BOG meeting, yes. They'll make a decision on expansion, perhaps. But that doesn't mean that expansion is guaranteed.

I dont recall ANYONE on here making any guarantees about anything regarding expansion. BUT I DO RECALL Gary bleepin' Bettman saying that the committee on expansion had met last week and made a recomendation to all 30 teams and that the BOG would vote in vegas on June 22nd and make an announcement that day. He also said that there were 3 courses of action available to the board...#1 Expand to vegas and quebec or to only 1 of them...#2 vote to push back the decision to another time and or year...#3 Not expand at all.

A number of reputable people in the vein of mackenzie etc ahve said that they have sources inside the room and the decision to expand is a go and it will be vegas. Which makes sense since they are in vegas for the announcement and awards plus owners aren't going to turn down 500 million free and clear of the players.

Hope you are willing to apologize on the 22nd if they do announce that they are expanding etc.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
I dont recall ANYONE on here making any guarantees about anything regarding expansion. BUT I DO RECALL Gary bleepin' Bettman saying that the committee on expansion had met last week and made a recomendation to all 30 teams and that the BOG would vote in vegas on June 22nd and make an announcement that day. He also said that there were 3 courses of action available to the board...#1 Expand to vegas and quebec or to only 1 of them...#2 vote to push back the decision to another time and or year...#3 Not expand at all.

A number of reputable people in the vein of mackenzie etc ahve said that they have sources inside the room and the decision to expand is a go and it will be vegas. Which makes sense since they are in vegas for the announcement and awards plus owners aren't going to turn down 500 million free and clear of the players.

Hope you are willing to apologize on the 22nd if they do announce that they are expanding etc.

For what? It's not a done deal until they say it is. [MOD]

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
For what? It's not a done deal until they say it is. [MOD]

[MOD]

Of course it's not a done deal until announced...BUT some very high profile people in the business have made comments about it being a done deal and being announced on June 22nd. People who would be very foolish and lose a ton of credibility should it not happen. People who's livelihood depends on that credibility.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
And just now, on the bottom crawl on espn it has breaking news that the ap is reporting that he NHL is expanding to vegas, providing the operating people can come up with the 500 million fee.

Hurricane Ron

Jul 23, 2015
Tulsa
Well, looks like Vegas will get a team (per ESPN), which means there will be an AHL affiliate at some point.

Just wish the thread would have started AFTER the announcement.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa
As I expected, they want to go to Cali. It's close enough, has plenty of markets available and plenty of rivals. I bet they think Oakland/SF is too close to the Sharks. But I expect those cites to get a team or two within a couple of decades.

Summerlin I was not expecting, so it's a suburb of Las Vegas?

I have doubts of putting an AHL team and NHL team at the same (barely tested) market at the same time. I would have expected Reno first honestly.

Would the Summerlin team be named the Wranglers?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Before or after, it doesn't matter. I would like to know if AHL will create a 31th team now.

Yes, they will. They're going to be coy about it, but with 31 NHL teams the AHL will want a matching 31 teams, and it's a very safe bet they'll start play in October of 2017 when the Vegas NHL entry does.

My guess is the AHL BOG won't have any new franchise for the 16-17 season, but whenever the NHL expansion team(s) start play there will be opportunity for new franchise then.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Rumors here in Utica have comets President Rob Esche as a part of the Las Vegas Management. Apparently he has already left this area and moved to Las Vegas.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
What about Spokane for a Vegas affiliate? Didn't they used to have a minor league team in the old professional WHL?

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I would think Fresno & Reno would be the two leading candidates. It’s not “that close” to Vegas, but all the games the AHL teams will play are San Jose, Stockton, Ontario, Bakersfield, San Diego.

Sacramento is a dark horse, depending on what happens with the Sacramento Kings old arena when their new place opens. Turning it into an AHL arena would make some sense (And help the growth of hockey in Northern California).

I think the only way the Pacific Northwest gets AHL teams is if Las Vegas and Vancouver work together and become travel partners in places like Seattle & Tacoma, or Spokane & Boise, or something like that.

Working together to have teams in clusters makes sense. But obviously, it’s not that easy. So when it comes down to individual franchises doing what’s best for them, that points to Reno or Fresno.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
What kind of a hockey history does Reno have? I know a couple of Canadians who live there but they don't seem the hockey type.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
How about a cluster of AHL teams in 2017-18 of Utah (Las Vegas) Idaho (Vancouver) and Loveland (Avalanche. Yes I know they would need to buy a team). That woild make 8 teams I believe West of Colorado. And provide a bridge between the Texas teams and some of the mid-west teams.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad