News Article: Larsson on LTIR (6-8 weeks, broken fibula)

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
What is the Accruable Cap Space Limit (ACSL)?
When a team goes into LTIR, their effective salary cap, or upper limit, is changed. This adjusted upper limit is calculated as a function of the teams cap space and the player’s cap hit. This value is the “accruable cap space limit” (ACSL), and is the first value calculated. Second are the salary and performance bonus relief pools that are later explained below.

The accruable cap space limit is the teams new upper limit excluding their LTIR relief pools. If the team operates below the ACSL, they begin to accrue cap space. A team can operate up to the ACSL without using their LTIR relief pools, once they operate above the ACSL, they begin to use their LTIR relief pools. In the majority of cases, a team using LTIR will be using their relief pools. Only in uncommon circumstances does a team operate below their ACSL.

The ACSL is only calculated when a team first enters LTIR, if a player is placed on LTIR while another player is already on LTIR, the ACSL is not recalculated. In the event that a team stops using LTIR, their ACSL resets to the default upper limit of the active season, upon reentering LTIR, the ACSL is again recalculated.

Two methods can be used to calculate the ACSL:
  1. The Basic Equation

The basic equation can be used throughout the NHL regular season, and during the off-season:
    ACSL = Salary cap upper limit - team cap space
    Example: The 2017-18 upper limit is $75M, a team with a projected cap hit of $74.9M places a player with an AAV of $5M on LTIR:
    Upper limit = $75M
    Team cap space = $0.1M
    ACSL = $75M - $0.1M = $74.9M
    If the team decides that they do not need to recall a player, and instead reassign a player to the AHL, they would begin to accrue cap space because they are operating below the ACSL.

So if I understand this correctly, this move changed the Oilers ACSL to $81.41M instead of 81.24M.

So while they may not use all of the extra cap space, having them set the ACSL at a higher number allows them to accrue a little more cap space for every day they keep the overall number below $81.41M instead of $81.24M.

So this move not only allows teams to spend more in the case of the player not returning at all (Toronto), but gives a benefit to teams that stay below their new cap value while still having the flexibility if there are enough shorter term injuries to fill the spots.

So in Edmonton's situation, they may want the extra player in the event Persson isn't good to go Saturday, so they need LTIR to get an extra player in because they were already within $263K of the cap due to having 3 extra players on short term IR.

However, once they trim the roster back down assuming Sheahan and Persson come off the regular IR within the next week. It allows them to accrue a little more space as they earn a prorated daily amount of cap space every day for every dollar below $81.4M rather than $81.2.

In the grand scheme of things it's a very marginal amount, but may help a little at some point later in the season if they want to add players or ultimately pay those potential bonus' with real cap space earned.

----
edit to add.

If they had really wanted to maximize the benefit they could have demoted Haas and Bear, then recalled Gagner and Samoroukov. That would have set the ACSL at $81,492,000 (i.e. only $8K from the cap). But they probably couldn't have logistically worked it so that Bouchard would actually be here Saturday by doing that.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Well, I just read the tweet so that's all I know. What does the paper transaction entail?
Guys don't actually go anywhere. To get more LTIR space they "recall Bouchard" who makes more than Bear.
Place Larsson on LTIR as the space gained is based on the cap you have when player is put on. Tomorrow Bouchard gets reassigned and either Bear recalled or Persson activated from IR

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
not necessarily true - it increases your ability to go over. So if Holland was looking at adding a 4-5 mil cap hit player, but didn’t have quite enough room...

That’s the weird part though. If you add $4M while Larsson is out, you have to get rid of $4M when he returns.

Hopefully that doesn’t mean the injury is way more serious than it seems.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That’s the weird part though. If you add $4M while Larsson is out, you have to get rid of $4M when he returns.

Hopefully that doesn’t mean the Larsson is way more serious than it seems.
You want the space incase the injury turns for the worse and you need to make a trade. Also just gives more flexibility

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
I would have looked at possibly calling up Lagesson. If they need someone to play that shutdown role that Larsson was playing, feel like he would be the best fit when it comes to that.

Reactions: Jet Walters

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Guys don't actually go anywhere. To get more LTIR space they "recall Bouchard" who makes more than Bear.
Place Larsson on LTIR as the space gained is based on the cap you have when player is put on. Tomorrow Bouchard gets reassigned and either Bear recalled or Persson activated from IR

Thanks. That makes sense then.

Looks like...

Nurse-Russell
Klefbom-Bear
Benning-Persson or something like that.
Or maybe they just move Persson to the Nurse pairing?

Yikes.
If Larsson is out for months, Holland probably has to make a move. They can't ice a defense like that and expect to escape the basement. It would have been tough to compete for a wild card spot even with Larsson.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
I hate that he is injured, but I don't even think it is going to be a huge deal. He hasn't played well in 1-2 years. Youngins stepping up!

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Thanks. That makes sense then.

Looks like...

Nurse-Russell
Klefbom-Bear
Benning-Persson or something like that.
Or maybe they just move Persson to the Nurse pairing?

Yikes.
If Larsson is out for months, Holland probably has to make a move. They can't ice a defense like that and expect to escape the basement. It would have been tough to compete for a wild card spot even with Larsson.
That's why he made the paper transaction. I think it depends on how the defense looks for a bit and then make a move depending on that

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
gInV0ZG.jpg

His foot is above his ankle. It's part of the reason the trade was heavily criticized.

Last edited:

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Klefbom-Persson
Nurse-Bear
Russell-Benning

Going off them apparently liking Klef/Persson together and keeping Bear off the top pairing. If Persson isn't ready to go...

Woof.

Reactions: LaGu

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Good point. Both are shut down guys... never really understood that pairing. Klef-Lars although not spectacular were fine for the most part.

Exactly, i think nurses game is relatively well rounded now, but his one weakness is the breakout and yet hes never been given a partner to cover that weakness. Along with that there was 2-3 times last night nurse made a pass in the dzone and then starting skating hard up ice to receive a return pass, if only there was a d partner that could identify that and make the pass...

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Hey Oilers fans. What is the situation about your goalie? I have Koskinen in my pool and im wondering if hes gonna play a lot. Thanks
Most of us have no clue, who plays more will be merit based, so far with a relatively small sample size Smith has looked better than Koskinen. I think our coach has an internal bias towards Smith so things being equal in terms of SV% I'm guessing he would play Smith over Koskinen, but management would likely prefer Koskinen playing over Smith since Smith has bonuses built in based on games played.

Honestly I think having either one of our goalies is a bit of a dangerous proposition, hard to tell who will come out on top.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Spector saying it’s “possibly back in the new year” serious. Jesus.
Broken bone in foot so that make sense.

Was already concerned with guys having to play more minutes to make up for rookies. Doesn't make me feel any better now.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
You guys can have Hagg, for free even.

Seriously tho, does anyone think Bouchard sticks? And if so, what his minutes and usage would be?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad