Larsson for the 3rd overall pick... Yes or no.

• Thread starter DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
  • Start date

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I think it's a crazy idea. Larsson is the foundation of our future defensive corps. He is not being traded for a pick. Not even a top 5 pick.

All it does is lose a guy we have developed for two years, and replace him with a guy whose development clock is at zero. Lou refused to give up the 29th pick because he didn't want to do that, what makes you think he will do it in this situation?

It's not as if we don't know who that pick will be. We'd be getting either Drouin or MacKinnon and both those forwards are closing in on Jones for that #1 overall race.

I don't care about losing a player we "groomed" for the past 24 months if we're getting a player that will balance out our depth chart and help our mediocre offense pick up the pace.

We have several solid pieces that are a year or two away from cracking our blueline but we have absolutely zero assets up front outside of Boucher and he's no lock to make our club anytime soon. Matteau is a futur 2nd/3rd line "grinder" with some skill but we are lacking that stud forward that will help Kovy run the show and we all know that we aren't signing a star forward via free agency and if we're landing someone with a trade, we'll have to part ways with too many assets to get the player we want.

My dream scenario would be to move Larsson for Drouin/MacKinnon and the flip our 9th overall pick for a proven d-men who's apparently on the block, in a package, for someone like Keith Yandle. The Yotes are, according to rumours, looking to shop Keith Yandle and something like the 9th overall pick, Josefson and Urbom might get it done IMO since they are looking to add offense and can possibly get two of Shinkaruk, Domi, Horvat, Lazar, Zykov with our pick (9th overall) and their own pick (12th overall).

That's probably asking for too much out of Lou but when looking at the big picture, I think both proposals are fair and would help all 3 teams involved moving forward.

apice3*

I don't care about losing a player we "groomed" for the past 24 months if we're getting a player that will balance out our depth chart and help our mediocre offense pick up the pace.

I stopped reading right here. You've been using the phrase "mediocre blueline" since I joined HF three years ago. Now we finally add the #1 potential D-man and you chance the phrase to "mediocre offense." Give me a break.

Nick0930

Mar 16, 2011
Quebec
Next season if Pete uses Larsson the way he has the last two years, I don't see how you guys would want him over Mackinnon/Drouin and whoever they pick 9th.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Next season if Pete uses Larsson the way he has the last two years, I don't see how you guys would want him over Mackinnon/Drouin and whoever they pick 9th.

Good point but I'm not sure I expect him to use those two any better.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

Larsson was infinitely better defensively in 12/13 than he was in 11/12. whos to say he won't improve again next year?

also neither of those guys has ever played 1 NHL game.

also if Pete is "bad" at using young guys what makes you think he'll use either of the 2 forwards correctly?

Nick0930

Mar 16, 2011
Quebec
Larsson was infinitely better defensively in 12/13 than he was in 11/12. whos to say he won't improve again next year?

also neither of those guys has ever played 1 NHL game.

also if Pete is "bad" at using young guys what makes you think he'll use either of the 2 forwards correctly?

I'm not saying Larsson didn't improve, but I hate that he was one of the defensemen getting rotated in the lineup. Not to mention the lack of PP time...

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

its like he expects us to have a perfect team.

Perfect no... just balanced.

When you have several assets at one specific position and you need a glaring upgrage at another, you make moves to even out your depth chart.

Why do you think the Canucks and the Kings are trying to move one of their goaltenders or why do you think Ottawa moved Bishop for Connacher? When you have solid pieces at one area, you can "afford" to move one of them to add more stability in a area of weakness.

I guess it works for other teams but not us... "status quo" for life brah. In Lou we trust.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I dont get why everyone flips out over Larsson not getting PP time. who the hell cares? he wasnt getting on there over Zids, Kovy or Greene.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
If the idea is to trade Larsson for #3 to land a top forward and then trade #9 for a D to replace him, why not skip the first step? Keep Larsson and package #9 with other assets for a Top 6.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I dont get why everyone flips out over Larsson not getting PP time. who the hell cares? he wasnt getting on there over Zids, Kovy or Greene.

Greene shouldn't be on our PP and got a spot mostly by "default" IMO.

He's a terrific all around d-men but has no shot whatsoever and his passing skills aren't better then Larsson's. The only reason he got PP time over Larsson, IMO, is because he's a left handed shot and they didn't want both PP units to be Qb'ed by a set of two right handed shooting "point men".

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Perfect no... just balanced.

When you have several assets at one specific position and you need a glaring upgrage at another, you make moves to even out your depth chart.

Why do you think the Canucks and the Kings are trying to move one of their goaltenders or why do you think Ottawa moved Bishop for Connacher? When you have solid pieces at one area, you can "afford" to move one of them to add more stability in a area of weakness.

I guess it works for other teams but not us... "status quo" for life brah. In Lou we trust.

the Canucks could be "trying" to move Luongo but no one is going to take him. also who told you the Kings are trying to move one of their goalies?

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

If the idea is to trade Larsson for #3 to land a top forward and then trade #9 for a D to replace him, why not skip the first step? Keep Larsson and package #9 with other assets for a Top 6.

Cause I don't see us getting anyone that interesting who's currently on the block for the 9th overall pick ++.

ATM, Yandle is being shoped and he's the only stud name I've heard over the past 2 months. I wouldn't want to move our 9th overall pick++ for a 2nd line winger, cause I don't think that type of package can land us a 1st line winger.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Our blueline is mediocre but we have assets in our pipeline that will make it alot stronger... the same can't be said about our offense.

You've been on Merrill's dick for the past couple of years, saying he's a future 1st pairing d-man, we know Gélinas and Urbom are a ready to make a impact this year and Severson looks like a real promising kid.

We can also draft the 2nd or 3rd best d-man of the draft at #9 or we can package that pick with some kids for someone like Yandle.

This entire place wants to see changes but are only willing to move Tedenby and Corrente in order to land a top #6 forward.

With the departure of Parise and a aging Elias, if we do resign him, our offense looks like a black hole for the next several years to come. I remember you *****ing just as much when I made the Parise Vs Weber thread but when looking back at my proposal, I'm certain you would be all over it today.

That's cool, it's not like I was expecting anything different anyways.

None of our other defensive prospects are nearly as good as Larsson. It's been obvious that to get a true #1 defenseman you essentially have to develop him yourself. Now all of a sudden we're going to trade Larsson because we struggled to score for a 20 game span? There are plenty of free agents and trade targets who will produce the same amount of offense next season as MacKinnon or Drouin.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

the Canucks could be "trying" to move Luongo but no one is going to take him. also who told you the Kings are trying to move one of their goalies?

The Canucks are trying to move Luongo mostly because of his contract but I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up moving Schneider since they'd get a bigger return and would still have a #1 netminder between the pipes.

As for the Kings, you don't have to be miss Cleo to realise that they won't be able to satisfy both Quick and Bernier when talking about playing time. Bernier actually had a better year then Quick this season and I'm certain that management will have to make a choice as to who's going to be their #1 guy down the road and with Bernier asking for a trade, wich was done last offseason IIRC, they'll have to move one or the other.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I just think its hilarious how DATW screams for years how we need an upgrade on D, etc. and then we get one and he wants to trade him

then once that trade goes through he'll complain that we don't have a good enough DMan

just a constant complainer.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Cause I don't see us getting anyone that interesting who's currently on the block for the 9th overall pick ++.

ATM, Yandle is being shoped and he's the only stud name I've heard over the past 2 months. I wouldn't want to move our 9th overall pick++ for a 2nd line winger, cause I don't think that type of package can land us a 1st line winger.

Whomever we draft at #9 may only turn out to be a 2nd liner. Then of course there is this -
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1411937

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Whomever we draft at #9 may only turn out to be a 2nd liner. Then of course there is this -
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1411937

If Dallas is willing to do this, I'd be all for it... just don't see them moving Eriksson. I was simply trying to get the vibe of our fanbase cause most of this board want to end talent but aren't willing to part ways with anything significant.

There's really not much out there but if Loui Eriksson is on the block, just like Yandle, I'd target both the Yotes and the Stars for a possible trade.

apice3*

Our blueline is mediocre but we have assets in our pipeline that will make it alot stronger... the same can't be said about our offense.

You've been on Merrill's dick for the past couple of years, saying he's a future 1st pairing d-man, we know Gélinas and Urbom are a ready to make a impact this year and Severson looks like a real promising kid.

We can also draft the 2nd or 3rd best d-man of the draft at #9 or we can package that pick with some kids for someone like Yandle.

This entire place wants to see changes but are only willing to move Tedenby and Corrente in order to land a top #6 forward.

With the departure of Parise and a aging Elias, if we do resign him, our offense looks like a black hole for the next several years to come. I remember you *****ing just as much when I made the Parise Vs Weber thread but when looking back at my proposal, I'm certain you would be all over it today.

That's cool, it's not like I was expecting anything different anyways.

In your eyes, Volchenkov needs to be bought out yesterday. Zidlicky and Harrold are UFA's. Tallinder is a UFA in 12 months.

That leaves us with Larsson, Greene, Fayne and Salvador at the beginning of 2014-15. You take Larsson out of that and we have next to nothing, especially with Fayne's future unknown. And then you will complain about having an inexperienced blueline that Lou mishandled even though he did exactly what you asked.

B A T M A N

This is assuming that we don't upgrade our roster at all with the $24 million in cap space that we have.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

In your eyes, Volchenkov needs to be bought out yesterday. Zidlicky and Harrold are UFA's. Tallinder is a UFA in 12 months.

That leaves us with Larsson, Greene, Fayne and Salvador at the beginning of 2014-15. You take Larsson out of that and we have next to nothing, especially with Fayne's future unknown. And then you will complain about having an inexperienced blueline that Lou mishandled even though he did exactly what you asked.

We have Gélinas and Urbom who can step in as soon as this year, in a limited role and it's not as if they can be any worse then Volchenkov.

Merrill will need a year of AHL experience IMO, before making the jump to the NHL. We can find a 3rd pairing d-men if need be via the UFA market or Lou's favorite shop, the bargain bin. To me, that's really not a problem. Our youngster will add a dimention we haven't had in a while and that's generating offense cause Gélinas seems to be more then capable of putting up pts and Merrill, according to this very board, is pretty solid when breaking out of the zone when making tape to tape passes.

We lost Parise last summer, Elias is still looking solid but we all know that his better days are past him and outside of Kovalchuk, we have zero threat offensively.

If our pipeline on our blueline was just as bad as our pipeline offensively, I would never suggest such a move but that isn't the case.

apice3*

I just think you have a man crush on Drouin and would scrap our entire team to get him if possible

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad