Larsson for the 3rd overall pick... Yes or no.

• Thread starter DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
  • Start date

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I was disgusted after game 3 when Volchenkov was still in the lineup last year. Should have been scratched after that game for at least the duration of the series. He was astronomically bad the first 3 games. He almost cost us game 7 of the Florida series by pushing a Panther into Marty on the PK, and not allowing him to make the save. That was the tying goal.

I really thought Larsson should have been in then.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Dougie Hamilton is a healthy scratch for Boston (even while they are down DMen)...do you hear fans claiming they are stunting his growth?

look, I agree he should be playing every night. but I think this gets way overblown.

:laugh: this is great...dougie hamilton, who played in every game this season, right? who was on pace for 10 goals as a rookie? who had less TOI than larsson? who helped his team make the playoffs?

lets stop kidding ourselves. if boston needed the help right now, DH would be in. they dont, so he isnt. pretty simple.

for the dramatic, i have to say that i'm not saying hamilton will turn out better than larsson- but right now its not really close.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
:laugh: this is great...dougie hamilton, who played in every game this season, right? who was on pace for 10 goals as a rookie? who had less TOI than larsson? who helped his team make the playoffs?

lets stop kidding ourselves. if boston needed the help right now, DH would be in. they dont, so he isnt. pretty simple.

for the dramatic, i have to say that i'm not saying hamilton will turn out better than larsson- but right now its not really close.

Hamilton did NOT play in every game this season. he played in 42 and Larsson played in 37. WOW BIG DIFFERENCE. if you are going to make definitive statements at least get your facts straight. also, when the first stat you bring up for a DEFENSEman is goals, you lost all credibility

Boston was down to their 8th, 9th, etc. options at one point and he still wasn't playing consistently.

and Larsson didnt help us make the playoffs last year? ok.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
excuse me, about 90% of them...i didnt look it up. and hamilton made more of an impact in those games than larsson did. are you disputing that? :laugh:

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Boston had a good amount of injuries at one point a few weeks ago and dougie was scratched so I don't think the statement of them needing help now is valid.

That said, we should probably wait to see how the 3rd year of Larsson goes before tossing him aside for a healthy scratch as well. although if lou doesn't fix the D, he's gonna get ****ed again.

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006

How exactly is it "not even close"?

If we're comparing rookie seasons, Hamilton had 16 points in 42 games, Larsson had 18 points in 65 games. Not sure there's enough of a difference there to definitively determine anything, especially when you consider Hamilton was paired with a d-man that's capable of offensive production that our entire defense struggles to combine for, some seasons.

Also, Larsson averaged 20+ minutes of TOI last season. Hamilton averaged 17:08. Sure, it serves the "Hamilton had more points averaging less minutes" argument, but Larsson's ATOI proves his ability in his own zone. Some games last season, Larsson logged over 26 minutes. That's amazing for a rookie d-man playing on a veteran defense. He was averaging about 22-23 minutes for the first 27 games of his NHL career. Hamilton went over 20 minutes in 4 games this year. Many games he had about 13 minutes. Larsson played less than 14 minutes twice in his rookie season.

If you want to focus on Larsson THIS season, he was playing on a team that simply wasn't as good as the Boston team Hamilton is playing on, as evidenced by what is happening in the playoffs right now and that our season ended over a month ago. We were 28th in GF this season, Boston was 14th. We were 13th in GA this season, Boston was 3rd. Our situation on defense deserves to be considered when analyzing Larsson's season, as well.

It's not outlandish to suggest that considering the entire situation this season, Hamilton may not have played more than 15-20 games for the Devils. Therefore, it's pointless to compare the two players.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I wouldn't be adverse to trading Larsson... But no way in the world would I trade him for a pick...That just doesn't make sense. It is taking two steps backward with hopes of taking 3 steps forward...That is just a poor scenario. Now if you're talking about an established top 6 forward that is a different story.

But trading Larsson for a pick is throwing away 2 or 3 years. You should be getting real contributions from Larsson in the next 2 years -- with a pick, even a top 3, it wouldn't be outlandish to say that player might not even have played a single NHL game in the next 2 years...That is not a position New Jersey can put themselves in.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Lou is not going to trade Larsson for a pick, no need to even discuss it cuz it won't happen and for good reason.

We're not in a position to trade young assets for other young assets that may be as good.

We need to acquire more picks this draft, it's a deep one, and get some skilled forwards in the system along with an offensive defenseman that skates very well and can rush up the puck with his speed.

I think Lou Conte can do that in the first 3 rounds of this draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad