Dreger: Larsson departure re-ignites Barrie negotiations

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I don’t mind Barrie as long as the price is not too high. It’s the more the mix of D in Edmonton that would concern me. Larsson is just a much better fit. Would have loved him in Vancouver too and much more than Barrie. Those defensive D are really valuable.

Last edited:

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
5x5.2

4M 7M 7M 4M 4M

Avoids the worst of escrow. Keeps the cap hit low. Longer than you want, but thats free agency.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Great move to trade for and protect Kieth instead of signing Larsson early.

Yes, it turns out it was a good move. Don’t you think Larsson would have signed in Edmonton instead of Seattle if that’s what he decided he wanted to do? He had zero obligation to sign with Seattle. 90% of our fans/media ripped on him for the last 3 years, for a trade that he had no say in, and he lost his father in Edmonton. I’m disappointed he’s gone, but certainly not shocked he decided to have a fresh start

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I dont see the point when our other D will pick up the offensive slack, especially with Bouchard graduating. Replace Larsson with a defensive D

That would be ideal.

Unfortunately there are very few defensive RD available. David Savard was nowhere near Larsson caliber last year. Who else is even out there?

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Playing with McDavid and LD on the PP is gonna get this guy paid.

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
I really dislike Barrie's game as a top-4 defenseman

I think if hes your #5 and PPQB youre actually a contender

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Can the Oilers make him a Designated Hitter ala American League MLB? Keep him off the ice except for PP time?

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
$4M in Canada is not the same as $4M in USA. Back of envelope calculations it's $2.1M after tax vs $2.6M

This. There is a nearly 2M spread in the full contract value after taxes. Larsson didn't take the same deal offered by Seattle - he took the one that offered nearly an extra 2M over the full term.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
$4M in Canada is not the same as $4M in USA. Back of envelope calculations it's $2.1M after tax vs $2.6M
You pay American taxes when playing on the road in America so the difference is not as big as you think.

Not to mention being paid in USD living in Canada so I don’t think money was a factor here.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
So it's Keith and Barrie instead of Larsson lol

Who is going to defend for Edmonton? Are they going to score their way out of every game 7-6?

nzoilerfan

May 18, 2011
Would think EDM just takes a swing at Dougie Hamilton or David Savard now as opposed to bringing Barrie back. Bouchard is the offensive soft minutes guy now.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

razor ray

May 8, 2011
It amazes me that the Oilers cant get better players. You have your Jordan and Pippen so you would think some better guys would want to play with with them just to pad their stats for the next deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad