Proposal: Larsson + 10th for Parayko

steinerecliner

May 15, 2018
I'm pretty sure Parayko is on the untouchable list, since last season he signed a long term deal. The only way the Blues are moving him if We are getting an elite player in return for multi years which I doubt that is happening.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
There is no way we trade Parayko for Larsson. It would be to fill our need for a top6 C/RW. We all know where this goes. If Drai isn't in the deal it wont happen. RNH doesn't warrant creating the hole at RD that trading Perry would make.:edmonton fans say Drai is worth more :blues fans say Parayko is worth more to the team...Blah Blah Blah

Personally I would do

:edmonton
Parayko
Sobotka
Tage Thompson
29OA

:blues
Drai
10thOA
Okay, so what you are saying, is that Draisaitl, (as opposed to RNH) is worth the huge hole on our defense that would be created by trading Parayko. At the expense of sounding like a broken record, I would like to point out that, presently, that hole cannot be filled from within . Losing Parayko without a decent RD coming back would necessitate another trade. If we use your proposal, we have already given up two of our best trade chips in TT and the 29OA. Quality RD that can eat minutes like Parayko are expensive, so we will likely have to give up the 10OA and yet another prospect to obtain one. We would have Drai as our new 1C, and as much as love him, I don't see how the Blues come out ahead in this scenario.

Reactions: 67Blues

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Unpopular opinion, but I think Larsson is better on the defensive side. From what i've seen (albeit not enough to make a conclusive opinion) Parayko is pretty inconsistent, while Larsson is pretty steady. Parayko is obviously better in the other facets of the game (breakout pass, offensive zone, etc.), but I think the value here is pretty damn close, even favoring the Blues ever so slightly depending on who's available at 10.

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
Well that's a completely senseless trade from the Blues....get a #10 pick and hope that he turns out to be as good as Parayko?

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
Okay, so what you are saying, is that Draisaitl, (as opposed to RNH) is worth the huge hole on our defense that would be created by trading Parayko. At the expense of sounding like a broken record, I would like to point out that, presently, that hole cannot be filled from within . Losing Parayko without a decent RD coming back would necessitate another trade. If we use your proposal, we have already given up two of our best trade chips in TT and the 29OA. Quality RD that can eat minutes like Parayko are expensive, so we will likely have to give up the 10OA and yet another prospect to obtain one. We would have Drai as our new 1C, and as much as love him, I don't see how the Blues come out ahead in this scenario.
Thats where the divide comes into play for :blues fans. I do think creating that hole at RD is worth adding a 22yo 70pt center and running drai/schenn/thomas into next year. RNH is not the caliber player that Drai is, so yes, he is not worth trading parayko for. and I agree Parayko is great, but the hole created is less than the hole of not having young elite upside quality Centers IMO. Thats why i prefaced my post with "Personally" .I dont think Parayko is worth passing up on a talent like Drai. I also believe that schmaltz and Bortz(yuk) can fill the RD until trade deadline, or we go out and sign a mike Green for a few years and move bortz to LD until walman/mikkola are ready. Finding a replacement for Parayko(doesnt mean same upside, just a servicable plug) is easier IMO than finding a #1C.

Last edited:

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
This trade wasn't meant for one team to "come out ahead" in this scenario as well. It was an approach at a balance trade that will help both teams at points of weakness. Yes we lose a top 4 RD. but we gain a #1C that is signed for years to come and is still getting better. I also am not huge on TT but if they would do the trade with Blais(not likely) or Sanford(again...not likely) then hey im all for that. Sobi is for cap(obviously). I dont think the value difference between Perry and Drai is a TT caliber prospect, hence the switching of the picks to help bridge that gap. But maybe :edmonton fans would still be okay with adding Bear, so we have the plug on RD you are wanting in return as well?

Last edited:

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
If I could turn back time I would trade Parayko for Hall .....
giphy.gif

Reactions: PerryTurnbullfan

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Unpopular opinion, but I think Larsson is better on the defensive side. From what i've seen (albeit not enough to make a conclusive opinion) Parayko is pretty inconsistent, while Larsson is pretty steady. Parayko is obviously better in the other facets of the game (breakout pass, offensive zone, etc.), but I think the value here is pretty damn close, even favoring the Blues ever so slightly depending on who's available at 10.

I agree with this as a Blues fan. I think the value favors the Blues. The issue isn't the value, the issue is down grading the roster for another draft pick. It just doesn't make sense. We have a very strong prospect pool - easily top 10 and in all honesty likely top 5. Our needs tend to be offensive not defensive as far as roster goes. It is down grading the roster for no reason, no help this year or likely the next two.

This totally makes sense for Edmonton, but no reason for the Blues to consider it.

Reactions: BangarangxRufio

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I agree with this as a Blues fan. I think the value favors the Blues. The issue isn't the value, the issue is down grading the roster for another draft pick. It just doesn't make sense. We have a very strong prospect pool - easily top 10 and in all honesty likely top 5. Our needs tend to be offensive not defensive as far as roster goes. It is down grading the roster for no reason, no help this year or likely the next two.

This totally makes sense for Edmonton, but no reason for the Blues to consider it.

Larsson would actually make a better partner for Dunn than Petro or Parayko. Depending on who the 10th pick is would be my determining factor. Neither player is a good partner for Dunn. All three run around alot.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Larsson would actually make a better partner for Dunn than Petro or Parayko. Depending on who the 10th pick is would be my determining factor. Neither player is a good partner for Dunn. All three run around alot.
You know who else's Dcore runs around like chickens with their heads cut off....Nashville. Nashville D >>> St. Louis D. I use to think the way of PMD paired with SAH. All that allows is the other team to just focuse on the puck rushers. Having 2 dman who are lethal at rushing the puck is the way to go. They just need to be in tune with each other

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

I completely disagree with you here. hypothetically they are perfect partners. They just really need to be on the same page. Paraykos raw tools perfectly complement Dunns and vice versa. Dunn is extremely shifty and a phenomenal passer who is calm with the puck. Parayko has a hammer of A shot. Would elaborate further but my phone is junk

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I completely disagree with you here. hypothetically they are perfect partners. They just really need to be on the same page. Paraykos raw tools perfectly complement Dunns and vice versa. Dunn is extremely shifty and a phenomenal passer who is calm with the puck. Parayko has a hammer of A shot. Would elaborate further but my phone is junk

Parayko does have a hammer of a shot, but takes forever to get rid of it. We can agree to disagree here. Neither player is much for in front of the net play. Dunn isn't afraid, but isn't big enough of yet. Parayko and Petro just as soon try to block a shot or a pass than move someone or even play passive aggresively....might clip someone spinning in their figure skates.

We will see next year as the Blues won't touch their D or do much at all other than add a nominal forward possibly and see what they have in Thomas, Kyrou, Kostin, and Thompson. All amounts to a one and done during the playoffs. This Blues fan will go and stay faithful!

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
You know who else's Dcore runs around like chickens with their heads cut off....Nashville. Nashville D >>> St. Louis D. I use to think the way of PMD paired with SAH. All that allows is the other team to just focuse on the puck rushers. Having 2 dman who are lethal at rushing the puck is the way to go. They just need to be in tune with each other

...and play with even the slightest bit of grit in their own zone. Even show a notch of leadership?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Parayko does have a hammer of a shot, but takes forever to get rid of it. We can agree to disagree here. Neither player is much for in front of the net play. Dunn isn't afraid, but isn't big enough of yet. Parayko and Petro just as soon try to block a shot or a pass than move someone or even play passive aggresively....might clip someone spinning in their figure skates.

We will see next year as the Blues won't touch their D or do much at all other than add a nominal forward possibly and see what they have in Thomas, Kyrou, Kostin, and Thompson. All amounts to a one and done during the playoffs. This Blues fan will go and stay faithful!
This is coaching.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006

Hurble durble old time hockey. So many non-bruisers who are key to their teams' success in the final four teams of the playoffs this year.

The "leadership" narrative is unfounded garbage. There are all kinds of flaws with the Blues, but they're way more about skill, speed, crashing the net, and goaltending. Criticizing the players who actually do their job in favor of "grit" is a St. Louis tradition, though, so who am I to interrupt?

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Hurble durble old time hockey. So many non-bruisers who are key to their teams' success in the final four teams of the playoffs this year.

The "leadership" narrative is unfounded garbage. There are all kinds of flaws with the Blues, but they're way more about skill, speed, crashing the net, and goaltending. Criticizing the players who actually do their job in favor of "grit" is a St. Louis tradition, though, so who am I to interrupt?
No reason to...enjoy your golf...also a St Louis tradition during playoff time.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
This trade wasn't meant for one team to "come out ahead" in this scenario as well. It was an approach at a balance trade that will help both teams at points of weakness. Yes we lose a top 4 RD. but we gain a #1C that is signed for years to come and is still getting better. I also am not huge on TT but if they would do the trade with Blais(not likely) or Sanford(again...not likely) then hey im all for that. Sobi is for cap(obviously). I dont think the value difference between Perry and Drai is a TT caliber prospect, hence the switching of the picks to help bridge that gap. But maybe :edmonton fans would still be okay with adding Bear, so we have the plug on RD you are wanting in return as well?
but one team does come out ahead Larsson is better defensively. And the 20 or so points that Parayko scored isn't worth 10th overall. The oilers would be insane to do that deal

I'm an islander fan not an oiler fan or a blues fan, you guys need to watch Larsson play

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Parayko is entirely over-rated and is sheltered by an excellent team defensive scheme on the Blues. I just wish people would finally figure that out and stop proposing Parayko trades. It will just be the Blues' cross to bear. :sarcasm:

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Can't see whats the big argument is about . Fans of both teams are saying NO .

Edmonton fans are saying no base on the fact for the small upgrade we gain on defence ( offensively ) it is not worth giving up the 10th overall . We are not a deep enough team to toss out high picks , Have you seen our wingers ? Just terrible . Also that 10th oa could net us a D man that could be almost as good as Parayko .

St Louis fans want to keep the better player around and have said they can't afford to down grade their D .

As for comparing the 2 players defensively they are both close . Unless we could go back in time and and have Larsson on the Blue and Parayko on Edmonton for the 2017/2018 season we will never know . Confidence is a real factor and if Larsson don't have faith in his team mates it will make a difference .

Both are good D man just difference players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad