Confirmed with Link: Larsen and Legace relieved of duties

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
The strange thing about evaluating Jarmo (and I think the crux of the recent debate in this thread) is I think in a vacuum, most of the moves he’s made have actually been “winning” moves. He can’t control (directly) when guys like Panarin/Bob/PLD/Seth/Duchene want out (all for various circumstances) and if you look at most trades, draft picks and signings, I think he’s “won” more than he’s “lost”.

But at the same time… this team has made the final 8 only once in his 10+ years, and never once made even the ECF.

ETA: This post is probably better for the Jarmo thread, but figured I’d reply based on the last few posts in this one.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Right, that's basically my problem with it. Read squashmaple's post above if you want my opinion, he basically nailed it.

This binary results-only perspective just doesn't really have much merit in my eyes. That being said, it's also basically the only real objective information we have as fans, so I get why & how it happens.

I know I'm not going to change your mind, I'm just expressing some "meh" on this because this overly-simple (IMO) argument has been swirling a lot lately - understandably given their standings finish.

So in closing:

Meh.
I'm actually a she! If Viqsi's name is a play on her actual first name, then I suspect we even have the same name.

The strange thing about evaluating Jarmo (and I think the crux of the recent debate in this thread) is I think in a vacuum, most of the moves he’s made have actually been “winning” moves. He can’t control (directly) when guys like Panarin/Bob/PLD/Seth/Duchene want out (all for various circumstances) and if you look at most trades, draft picks and signings, I think he’s “won” more than he’s “lost”.

But at the same time… this team has made the final 8 only once in his 10+ years, and never once made even the ECF.

ETA: This post is probably better for the Jarmo thread, but figured I’d reply based on the last few posts in this one.
Jarmo is a good GM in a vacuum but he has no manner of luck at all. Anything that is subject to chance almost always seems to go wrong for him. He generally speaking makes good moves that somehow always end up going sour because of crap luck out of his control.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I look at the teams that are winning in the playoffs and their rosters are frigging loaded with talent. Jarmo has been working toward building / rebuild through the draft: it takes a minute to do that on defense & our goaltending didn’t workout( look how well Jonas played with a little help on the blue line(as aKing) & our drafted centre was a p***y, and star Russians left Columbus. We are going to be be really good in the near future

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

Again a GMs job is to not win trades. It's to win championships.

To me he just randomly tries to add talent without first understanding what the team needs and what players will be most succesful.
it was like adding Ryan Dzingel at the deadline - did he somehow think he would fit in Tort's system?
Too often he has ticked off young players and agents in netotiations.

I mean I'm sure he would be an awesome fantasy GM, but I still have no idea how he has kept his job so long.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00