Lars Eller

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajmonkey

Mar 29, 2014
Yup, that's the exact play.

Have they ever tried him at RW? I don't remember any specific stretch in which they did but it's entirely possible it happened for a few games.

A couple of games with Chucky and Plek last year if I remember correctly.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I think both Chucky and Eller are being over scrutinized for the most part.

We need a winger for them to play with, not 4th liners, not failed experiments, not magic beans.

The revolving door of guys who aren't top 6 players needs to stop.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Good to be reminded you think Eller should not be held accountable for his line's relative lack of productivity. Considering you also think DD should be traded right now because he's doing too well, I wonder how you would reconcile those two things... good luck with that.

I really need to explain a lot of my post to you....might take time to try to understand and stop putting words in my mouth.

I never said that we SHOULD trade Desharnais.....but if the organization don't see him in their plans for the next 2-3-4 years, now it's the BEST TIME to do it. Never said we should do it, only said that right now, his value is higher than it never was and probably never will be considering age, contract, terms, money ect...Hope you get that one.

Eller has now 7pts in 19 games and most of them are not crappy assists that even goalies can get but lucky bounce or basic plays, they are goals which is more valuable . And i don't care the general stupid narrative out there, Eller is used as a 3RD LINE WINGER.

Top 6 player get PP time
Top 6 player get more ice-time than bottom 6 player

Eller isn't getting any of that, never really did. 7pts in 19 games.....3rd line winger...is it that bad overall?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I think both Chucky and Eller are being over scrutinized for the most part.

We need a winger for them to play with, not 4th liners, not failed experiments, not magic beans.

The revolving door of guys who aren't top 6 players needs to stop.

I think there's a little bit of blind defense and premature hate. People lack objectivity.

Eller & Galchenyuk are doing fine. They aren't on fire but they are doing okay. They will do better with a better RW obviously, that simple.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
This guy lacks Hockey sense. Playing baseball instead of hockey. Brain cramp. Not aware of player behind him. Stick lift turn over. I think it's time to trade him. Not a top 6 player.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
This guy lacks Hockey sense. Playing baseball instead of hockey. Brain cramp. Not aware of player behind him. Stick lift turn over. I think it's time to trade him. Not a top 6 player.
good thing he hasnever been used in the top 6 then

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
With Mitchell out, would putting Eller back to center with defensive assignment be a good idea? He was very good at it last year. Give a more offensive oriented guy to Galch.

Plekky line (16-18 min) -------------- Oppose to the best line with d-zone start (like now)
Galch-Semin-ghetto? (12-16 min) --- off assignment only, against 3-4th liners
dd line (12-16 min) ------------------- Oppose to second best line
Eller-Flynn-DSP (10-13 min) --------- shoot-down role, d-zone start

just a idea

Eller may have a similar impact to that line than Mitchell had... In fact I think that he would get as much offensive impact but give more to the team.

Last edited:

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
With Mitchell out, would putting Eller back to center with defensive assignment be a good idea? He was very good at it last year. Give a more offensive oriented guy to Galch.

Plekky line (16-18 min) -------------- Oppose to the best line with d-zone start (like now)

just a idea

Eller may have a similar impact to that line than Mitchell had... In fact I think that he would get as much offensive impact but give more to the team.
I criticize Eller all the time but one thing he is not is a 4th line player. If he's not playing on Galch's line, then he should be playing on DD's line. C or W, irregardless, he should be playing on the middle six.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I really need to explain a lot of my post to you....might take time to try to understand and stop putting words in my mouth.

I never said that we SHOULD trade Desharnais.....but if the organization don't see him in their plans for the next 2-3-4 years, now it's the BEST TIME to do it. Never said we should do it, only said that right now, his value is higher than it never was and probably never will be considering age, contract, terms, money ect...Hope you get that one.

Eller has now 7pts in 19 games and most of them are not crappy assists that even goalies can get but lucky bounce or basic plays, they are goals which is more valuable . And i don't care the general stupid narrative out there, Eller is used as a 3RD LINE WINGER.

Top 6 player get PP time
Top 6 player get more ice-time than bottom 6 player

Eller isn't getting any of that, never really did. 7pts in 19 games.....3rd line winger...is it that bad overall?

If the other players on his line could just score some goals this year he'd probably have 4 or 5 more points as well. Galchenyuk only 2 goals and a revolving door of 4th line players plus Semin who don't bring much offense to the line when inserted there.

Hopefully MT leaves Gallagher with Eller and Galchenyuk for a few games to hopefully jump start them offensively but he'll probably put Gallagher back with Pleks and Pacioretty again tomorrow.

Last edited:

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
I remember that play. Another reason why I think Eller looks more comfortable on the right. All he had to do was crashing the net and separate himself from DSP, making himself an option to pass the puck but for some reason, he turns on the right side and almost collide with DSP.

Eller likes to enter the offensive zone from the right and cut to the center of the ice, or be in position for a one-timer.. I don't why MT insists to keep Eller on the LW.. maybe it's better for his defensive duties but he doesn't look comfortable on the ice as a LWer at all.. IMO.

Well, adding to the idea that Semin playing as more of a shooter on the LW, why not just swap the two. Eller on the RW, Semin on the LW. Two shooters on both sides of Galch with Galch having the option of shooting himself.

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
I criticize Eller all the time but one thing he is not is a 4th line player. If he's not playing on Galch's line, then he should be playing on DD's line. C or W, irregardless, he should be playing on the middle six.

It's not a critic against Eller. I think he is a good player. My point is MT role is 4 lines. Mitchell has the second more TOI some night. Line number is not that important... it more us, medias and games to use that concept... The goal is to put Eller in position to success.

I don't think there's players that are liabilities in the habs. Almost all can have 10+ minutes without us being scrare when they are on ice. It's allowing the team the have our top players with more energy, making them more efficient against players that need to play more... (cause their bottom players are crap)

anyways, As someone pointed out, 7 pts is not that bad... He could be 30 pts+ I just don't think that it's enough since his currently 5 vs 5 assignment is almost only offensive. I think he would get these points even by having a defensive role. Look at Mitchell production, maybe Eller could do even more while he is out. Points+"tough minutes"... more place to success.

Ghetto, Semin and Galch are all offensive oriented players...

just a idea

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

just a idea

Definitely not opposed to that idea. I think MT might make Semin work his way up the line up and see if he can keep it up on the 4th line and maybe double shift him with Galchenyuk.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
It's not a critic against Eller. I think he is a good player. My point is MT role is 4 lines. Mitchell has the second more TOI some night. Line number is not that important... it more us, medias and games to use that concept... The goal is to put Eller in position to success.

That is the problem with some fans around here. Eller is not a prospect, he's not developing anything anymore. This is peak Eller. What you see is what you get.

And since we're contending, there's no way the coach should cater to his needs.

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
That is the problem with some fans around here. Eller is not a prospect, he's not developing anything anymore. This is peak Eller. What you see is what you get.

Okay... so tell me in what Eller is a sure thing? a good shot down center? Are a offensive wing?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
It's true that Eller will produce more if they place a better player at RW.

But if Eller should become the least effective player on his line he will be more heavily scrutinized even if he is more productive.

kalessin

Jun 11, 2007

You're missing the point. It's not to cater to Eller's needs. Good teams put their players in positions to succeed because, guess what, that's how you make the team better.

Too often the Habs put players in a position to fail.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Okay... so tell me in what Eller is a sure thing? a good shot down center? Are a offensive wing?

He's shown to be a good shutdown center with a little bit of offense to his game. But the problem is that we now have enough talent to roll 3 lines that are expected to produce. Putting Eller back at center on the third line wouldn't help the team much.

I've said it before: Eller needs to simplify his game in order to have success on the wing. Stop overthinking and just move the puck towards the net a little more. I'm not saying he should always shoot it like he's braindead. But just a little less puck hoging would do great for him.

That and throwing his body a little more. Eller is a physical player with some skill. Not a skilled player with physicality.

You're missing the point. It's not to cater to Eller's needs. Good teams put their players in positions to succeed because, guess what, that's how you make the team better.

Dude, we're 15-4-2. On pace for a 125 points season. So tell me, what should we do with Eller so that we improve the team's results (and not just Eller's stat line)? :laugh:

Nynja*

You got that right

Eller in the 2015 playoffs was put in a position to shut down the oppositions top players, his entire role and purpose was to keep the puck out of our net. And despite doing that job very well, heres what some people saw...or didnt see:

"Eller was invisible in the playoffs"
"Eller only had 3 points, he did nothing"

He's shown to be a good shutdown center with a little bit of offense to his game. But the problem is that we now have enough talent to roll 3 lines that are expected to produce. Putting Eller back at center on the third line wouldn't help the team much.

Who knows though? Eller's role last year was to get the puck out of the zone and get off for a change. If he won the D-zone draw, got the puck out of the zone but was offside at the opposing blue line...good 15 second shift, off the ice now, you did your job.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Who knows though? Eller's role last year was to get the puck out of the zone and get off for a change. If he won the D-zone draw, got the puck out of the zone but was offside at the opposing blue line...good 15 second shift, off the ice now, you did your job.

It's true that he's involved in a ****load of offsides. Needs to pay more attention to what the other guys are doing...

Nynja*

It's true that he's involved in a ****load of offsides. Needs to pay more attention to what the other guys are doing...

Most players know not to dangle at the blue line for that very reason. Get it in THEN dangle.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Dude, we're 15-4-2. On pace for a 125 points season. So tell me, what should we do with Eller so that we improve the team's results (and not just Eller's stat line)? :laugh:

That record is luck and will not be maintained regardless of how Eller is used. The team should strive to improve any way it can.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
That record is luck and will not be maintained regardless of how Eller is used. The team should strive to improve any way it can.

I agree there's some luck involved in that record. But still. This team is good. Yet, we see posters complaining that Eller is misused and that it's detrimental to him (poor guy).

Eller needs to adapt to his new role. He's got a good shot, skates hard and he's a big guy. He needs to play more like a power forward and cut it with the fancy dangles and puck hoging.

At least we don't hear the 'he plays with scrubs' excuse anymore...

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
i love Eller but I think the truth is we can do better than him on Galch's line. He's played well but I just think we can do better than him. I still want to see him be the complimentary guy with a real RW to see how he fares. But I'd love to see Semin claw his way back AND have a Holloway/Ghetto/Hudon with Galch.

Usually when debates are this fierce it means both sides are right but they just don't express it well. Detractors/haters just amplify the bad he does and ignore anything decent. Why can't it be the happy medium? lol.

he hasn't played bad at all but probably not quite good enough to be a long term solution as a top 6/9 winger on a cup contender. If the DD line wasn't doing so well he could easily go there and probably do just fine but he's just not better than any 3 of those guys right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad