Lars Eller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
SouthernHab said:
Prust now has 5 points in 9 games (hopefully not injured too badly). With that pace, Prust would become a 40 points player.

Who was holding who back last season?

:laugh:

So you want to talk about pace?

Prust is on pace for 40 pts.

Eller's linemates both are on pace for 8 goals this season.

Eller, who doesn't even play on the PP anymore, is on pace for 24 even strength goals and 8 assists. Why only 8 assists? Well, his linesmates goals total pretty much explain it. So who's holding who?

Galchenyuk who was the 2nd LW last season, scored 20 goals last season and 17 at ES.

So if you're trying to bash Eller by using Prust's pace, make sure it's actually to make Eller look bad.

And for a guy that always use the line: "As long as the team is winning, I don't mind a certain player underacheving". So since you like talking about pace, We are on pace for 148 pts, with a 2nd LW that can score 24 ES goals. You should be happy.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I hate to admit it, but moving Eller up to LW with Chucky has started to changed my opinion and view of him.
If they gave that line a good RW, they'd be unstoppable.
Maybe, as many have said previously and i have been against til now, it is time to reunite the E.G.G. lineup.
Move Gallagher to the Eller-Chucky line and go after Vrbata to play with Pacioretty-Pleky.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
I hate to admit it, but moving Eller up to LW with Chucky has started to changed my opinion and view of him.
Maybe, as many have said previously and i have been against til now, it is time to reunite the E.G.G. lineup.
Move Gallagher to the Eller-Chucky line and go after Vrbata to play with Pacioretty-Pleky.

I'd reunite the EGG line too. I know MT wants to have a North-South guy on each line but it deserves a try. 2nd line is not producing enough and I think Plek and Pacioretty are good enough to keep the 1st line working without Gallagher.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal

Very interesting. Personnaly, I would try to land Iginla. This team could use his grit and experience come playoffs time. And I believe Colorado will be out of contention by christmas. Plus they could use a D-man like Tinordi...

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
It's kind of funny.....

Last year Desharnais played 10 games on the wing between Dec. 20th and Jan. 15th.
I vividly remember what was said by a lot of the Medias and a lot of posters here as a general narrative:

DD showing his versatility, how good he can be on the wing or center and how great he is as a person to accept his role without complaining.

A lot of the same posters and Medias starting to getting on Eller's case saying he slowing down everybody, his offensive upside are not there etc.....Funny that Eller is doing better than Desharnais was in the same position after 10 games and they were loving DD's play back then, praising him actually.

#11 = 3 goals, 1 assists, 4 points, -1, 21 shots on goal without PP time
#51 = 2 goals, 0 assists, 2 points, -4, 11 shots on goal with PP time

As far as i'm concern, considering the scoring chances that line gets, his points total should be a little higher. but he's doing a fine job so far and still need time to adjust.

ak90210

Sep 18, 2011

Talk about building a team around a player's shortcomings :shakehead

I know this some super hilarious and witty point you're making, complete with Desharnais reference, but he's talking about demoting Eller so not exactly building a team around his shortcomings.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I know this some super hilarious and witty point you're making, complete with Desharnais reference, but he's talking about demoting Eller so not exactly building a team around his shortcomings.

Could work, but then again, it's nice to give Eller a more offensive role. See what he got.

And no, he won't be promoted on the first line. So please, no projected lineups with Eller centering Patches and Gallagher. :laugh:

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
It's hard to put the blame on Eller. Frankly none of the 3 on that line look very good lately.

That's what's going to happen when two of them are basically playing a brand new position at the NHL level and the other is a salvage project with a huge history of flakiness. It's pretty much an entire line destined for highs and lows.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
It's hard to put the blame on Eller. Frankly none of the 3 on that line look very good lately.

That's what's going to happen when two of them are basically playing a brand new position at the NHL level and the other is a salvage project with a huge history of flakiness. It's pretty much an entire line destined for highs and lows.

Never thought about it in that way. Fair analysis.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy

As in moving him back to center. People use to complaing all the time that because Eller was facing tougher competition there was no way he could produce in that role. Last year Eller's rel QoC was 0.436 this year DD is at 0.576 and people say he's being sheltered. DD is making the 3rd line work like Eller never did in the past. And don't tell me it's because of his linemates. If it wasn't for Weise that line would have a bunch more points.

Besides, I'm fine with Eller on the wing. All that being said, I always thought people vastly overstimated his offensive potential. For a team that has had a tough time getting production from their bottom 6, I'd much rather keep things the way they are now.

Funny we already see people blaming Eller's linemates. At some point when you always blame everybody around you the problem might be yourself. It's not like Galchenyuk and Semin are missing tons of chances. Eller just never made players around him better. It's really all there is to it IMO.

Well hes already not getting PP time lol

and 9th among forwards at ES pts/60 with a whopping 60% ozone start and -0.515 Rel QoC. This would be anyone else and all we'd be hearing is that the coach's pet is getting preferable treatment over harder working players who would do a heck of a lot more with that ice-time. Also, that this kind of treatment should not be tolerated in the NHL blah blah blah. Not even entertaining the thought of that player getting any PP time.

Last edited:

Nynja*

DD is making the 3rd line work like Eller never did in the past.

Maybe if Eller didnt have a -25 ZSOREL and played with Flash and Weise last year instead of DLR and Prust and Bourque, he might have been able to make the third line work too.

Funny we already see people blaming Eller's linemates.

Who is exactly? The only thing theyre saying is two players on that line are new to their positions (and one of those two being Eller).

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Maybe if Eller didnt have a -25 ZSOREL and played with Flash and Weise last year instead of DLR and Prust and Bourque, he might have been able to make the third line work too.

Oh boy, back to the linemate thing. Fleischman made the team on a PTO after nobody in the league wanted him. Doesn't scream all-star there either.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
As in moving him back to center. People use to complaing all the time that because Eller was facing tougher competition there was no way he could produce in that role. Last year Eller's rel QoC was 0.436 this year DD is at 0.576 and people say he's being sheltered. DD is making the 3rd line work like Eller never did in the past. And don't tell me it's because of his linemates. If it wasn't for Weise that line would have a bunch more points.

Besides, I'm fine with Eller on the wing. All that being said, I always thought people vastly overstimated his offensive potential. For a team that has had a tough time getting production from their bottom 6, I'd much rather keep things the way they are now.

Funny we already see people blaming Eller's linemates. At some point when you always blame everybody around you the problem might be yourself. It's not like Galchenyuk and Semin are missing tons of chances. Eller just never made players around him better. It's really all there is to it IMO.

I guess 2012-2013 never happened, nor did the playoffs in 14-15 where Eller was making the 3rd line work.

And I guess we are also ignoring the Desharnais's 57% offensive zone starts this year compared to Eller's 37%, and the PP time that Desharnais gets on the 3rd line which Lars didn't get. Clearly they had the exact same usage and Desharnais is just able to make it work.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
LArs fan here. You guys are making a lot of excuses. He's getting the chance now, time to show up.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
I guess 2012-2013 never happened, nor did the playoffs in 14-15 where Eller was making the 3rd line work.

And I guess we are also ignoring the Desharnais's 57% offensive zone starts this year compared to Eller's 37%, and the PP time that Desharnais gets on the 3rd line which Lars didn't get. Clearly they had the exact same usage and Desharnais is just able to make it work.

Eller is getting 60% ozone start this year. I don't see what the hoopla is about really.

DD is outscoring him even at ES/60 this year with lower ozstart and weaker line mates. PP doesn't have anything to do with that.

and like I said, I'm fine with Eller where he is. But people should move on from thinking Eller is some sort of overkill 3rd line center and that only Therrien prevents him from leading the league in scoring.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
LArs fan here. You guys are making a lot of excuses. He's getting the chance now, time to show up.

Amen. Lars is on the 2nd line with our young stud C getting o zone starts, time to get it done.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Amen. Lars is on the 2nd line with our young stud C getting o zone starts, time to get it done.

Well, that's the thing. I always liked Eller, but I don't think he can "get it done" more than right now. What we're seeing right now is what he is in terms of offensive efficiency. He could produce more with a more lucid right winger, tho.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Eller is getting 60% ozone start this year. I don't see what the hoopla is about really.

DD is outscoring him even at ES/60 this year with lower ozstart and weaker line mates. PP doesn't have anything to do with that.

and like I said, I'm fine with Eller where he is. But people should move on from thinking Eller is some sort of overkill 3rd line center and that only Therrien prevents him from leading the league in scoring.

If you want to compare Desharnais in a 3rd line role to Eller in a 3rd line role then fine, but whatever Eller does this year on the wing is is irrelevant.

So why the need to change the goal posts, and why claim people thought Eller would lead the league in scoring?

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
If you want to compare Desharnais in a 3rd line role to Eller in a 3rd line role then fine, but whatever Eller does this year on the wing is is irrelevant.

So why the need to change the goal posts, and why claim people thought Eller would lead the league in scoring?

DD is ahead of Eller on the depth chart at center IMO and it's not that close. No way I'd move DD back to wing just so we can get Eller back to his spot. Time for Eller to put up or shut up as an offensive player, especially after the condescending interview he gave at the end of last season. DD has shown so far he's a better option as 3rd line center (mind you the ozonstart% that some people go crazy about) and I wouldn't change things just because Eller isn't showing he can adapt to wing (in certain people's view).

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

Somewhere in the middle I guess. It's all relative on expectations.

I think Eller is doing fine, mostly because I didn't expect top 6 numbers out of him.

For those that expected it...well now it's suddenly an excuse all the way around.

Some of the excuses are actually fair, new position for 2 players on the line and semin being a reclamation project doesn't help.

In the end I see it as a situation where we need to be patient and see where it takes us. Maybe in the future swap the RW and see if it makes a difference.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Somewhere in the middle I guess. It's all relative on expectations.

I think Eller is doing fine, mostly because I didn't expect top 6 numbers out of him.

For those that expected it...well now it's suddenly an excuse all the way around.

Some of the excuses are actually fair, new position for 2 players on the line and semin being a reclamation project doesn't help.

In the end I see it as a situation where we need to be patient and see where it takes us. Maybe in the future swap the RW and see if it makes a difference.

I agree with most that the line has played well for the majority of games. And they've certainly created a fair amount of chances that they haven't cashed. But in the end, what matters is grapes and apples.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Oh boy, back to the linemate thing. Fleischman made the team on a PTO after nobody in the league wanted him. Doesn't scream all-star there either.

Agreed, that's a lame excuse. If it was Eller between those 2 we'd never hear the end of how Therrien stuck him with an aging walk-on that no one else wanted and a 4th liner and then expected him to perform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad