Lars Eller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
...Do you remember that goal?

Do you remember that knee goal from Weise on the PP?
That was one of his 2 PP goals this year....but he's a fixture on the PP for the last 9 games.....

Having said that, this is the whole point.....Points are easier to get when you're on the PP for that reason and others.
I can show 3-4 assists this year from many players this year who simply made basic plays on the PP and got rewarded for it.

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
Do you remember that knee goal from Weise on the PP?
That was one of his 2 PP goals this year....but he's a fixture on the PP for the last 9 games.....

Having said that, this is the whole point.....Points are easier to get when you're on the PP for that reason and others.
I can show 3-4 assists this year from many players this year who simply made basic plays on the PP and got rewarded for it.

To your earlier point, his line was great last night causing several turnovers and drew 2 penalties. Eller himself was on the ice for 9 shots for and 3 against at 5 on 5, and unfortunately one of those 5 on 5 shots happened right after Weise's penalty expired and ended up in the back of the net. The line as a whole earned PP time yesterday and should have got a crack at it.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
To your earlier point, his line was great last night causing several turnovers and drew 2 penalties. Eller himself was on the ice for 9 shots for and 3 against at 5 on 5, and unfortunately one of those 5 on 5 shots happened right after Weise's penalty expired and ended up in the back of the net. The line as a whole earned PP time yesterday and should have got a crack at it.

And yet, the team scored 3 PP goals in 5 attempts last night and have the 3rd best PP in the league at 24.4%. It's hard to argue for making any changes to a winning formula. Besides, if any one player deserves more PP time, it's Fleischmann, not Eller.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

I concur - they played great.
Now, who do you take out ? At least two players, as Galchenyuk already play on a PP unit.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Exactly...building confidence, rewarding good players.
But that's not Therrien's cup of tea when it comes to Eller.

Instead, Weise got a 3:00 (I don't think Eller got that much in a game in the last 2 years)....sharing? 1 goals in his last 7 games for Weise, he ain't hot right now

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

With Gallagher's injury, maybe Eller will get more looks on the PP.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
Exactly...building confidence, rewarding good players.
But that's not Therrien's cup of tea when it comes to Eller.

Instead, Weise got a 3:00 (I don't think Eller got that much in a game in the last 2 years)....sharing? 1 goals in his last 7 games for Weise, he ain't hot right now

It takes a lot more than one good game to earn PP time, if you're going to mix your PP every single night based on who's hot you'll never get 5 guys to work as a unit, it all starts in practice and if Eller is going to get to practice with the PP squad he's going to have to play a lot better on a regular basis.

He's got 0 shots the last 2 games and half the points Weise has, absolutely nothing points to him deserving some PP time over the great one.

Oh, and our PP is actually working this year, why the hell would we it after all the struggles we had the last couple years.

Last edited:

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
You're correct. Numbers from NHL.com

Habs forward leaders in PP TOI/Game

1. Pacioretty 3:06 PP TOI/Game
2. Pleks 2:55 PP TOI/Game
3. Gallagher 2:49 PP TOI/Game
4. Galchenyuk 2:19 PP TOI/Game
5. Semin 2:09 PP TOI/Game
6. Desharnais 2:05 PP TOI/Game
Eller 0:36 PP TOI/Game

I only added Eller to the group because this is the Eller thread so I needed to stay on topic in this thread. :sarcasm:
So we are going to include semin who has played about half the entire season..ok thats not cherry picking at all. And Semin gets 9 minutes a game while DD(though he has earned it) gets about 14-15. Or in other words DD gets the approx same time as Chuckie on PP
while playing wing/centre and the top 3 guys are our top line. Not mentioned is who is on the backend of those minutes. Because I gaurantee the 'second' unit gets markov and PK almost always. Everyone else that isn't benched by the coach on a routine basis has FAR LESS PP time.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
True, Eller have a goal AT 4-ON-5.....and DD at 3-on-3.
In my books, 4-on-5 isn't an offensive situation and even harder to produce than at 5-on-5....and 3-on-3 is mainly only an offensive situation.

Still stand by what i said, DD is doing very well with those offensive situation, but lately he only produce in those offensive situation. No problem

But don't go crap on Eller who never gets those offensive situation, cause lately, if DD wouldn't be getting those situation like Eller, he isn't doing a whole lot more.

Regardless of the merits of SHGs, you're the one who said 5 on 5. I agree 100% SHGs are harder to come by but if you're comparing ES performance, compare ES. Don't do stuff like "We can't include SH TOI but we can include SHGs though!". Just stick to it, ESP only and we're already removing 3 on 3.

As for Eller, I'm personally not crapping on him at all. I know you're speaking in general but all I know is based on the numbers you choose(which 9 is an odd number...) DD has more points than Eller.

I mean, last 5 games ESP:

Desharnais: 2 ESP
Eller: 0 ESP

Last 10 games:

Desharnais: 5 ESP
Eller: 1 ESP

Last 15 games:

Desharnais: 9 ESP
Eller: 2 ESP

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
It takes a lot more than one good game to earn PP time, if you're going to mix your PP every single night based on who's hot you'll never get 5 guys to work as a unit, it all starts in practice and if Eller is going to get to practice with the PP squad he's going to have to play a lot better on a regular basis.

He's got 0 shots the last 2 games, and half the points Weise has, absolutely nothing points to him deserving some PP time over the great one.

Oh, and our PP is actually working this year, why the hell would we it after all the struggles we had the last couple years.

Please tell us another. You don't immediately remove a guy when they score on the PP you should at least get another PP or two in the next couple games. Something MT doesn't do with Eller. Such none sense from people making BS excuses as to why eller doesn't see more PP than flash, weise, or even flynn. The coach doesn't like him and no matter how often people say that is conjecture or put their fingers in their ears and go lalalalala it is still true. Time and again he has done well but this coach has done NOTHING to help out Ellers confidence. He has worked in the opposite direction. Mikey is a barbarian the way he runs his bench.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Regardless of the merits of SHGs, you're the one who said 5 on 5. I agree 100% SHGs are harder to come by but if you're comparing ES performance, compare ES. Don't do stuff like "We can't include SH TOI but we can include SHGs though!". Just stick to it, ESP only and we're already removing 3 on 3.

As for Eller, I'm personally not crapping on him at all. I know you're speaking in general but all I know is based on the numbers you choose(which 9 is an odd number...) DD has more points than Eller.

I mean, last 5 games ESP:

Desharnais: 2 ESP
Eller: 0 ESP

Last 10 games:

Desharnais: 5 ESP
Eller: 1 ESP

Last 15 games:

Desharnais: 9 ESP
Eller: 2 ESP

Why are we not comparing Lars Eller to Tomas Fleischmann? Neither get PP time, both play with offensive minded centres, both play PK, etc.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Please tell us another. You don't immediately remove a guy when they score on the PP you should at least get another PP or two in the next couple games. Something MT doesn't do with Eller. Such none sense from people making BS excuses as to why eller doesn't see more PP than flash, weise, or even flynn. The coach doesn't like him and no matter how often people say that is conjecture or put their fingers in their ears and go lalalalala it is still true. Time and again he has done well but this coach has done NOTHING to help out Ellers confidence. He has worked in the opposite direction. Mikey is a barbarian the way he runs his bench.

Why would he?

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013

It's weird, I could've sworn Weise made a great pass to DD on the 1st PP goal last night. He was also part of the GWG on the PP again as he pushed Boychuk back towards the crease opening the lane for Subban to make the cross ice pass to Chucky, pretty ridiculous to argue he shouldnt get a lot of PP time when he was essential on both PPG just last night.

Oh, and if you're referring to the PP goal Eller scored against the Jets it was a lucky redirection with his skate lol...MT doesnt hate him, that goal proves it, he gave him PP time because the score was already 4-0, he didnt desperately need a goal so he gave Eller and DSP a treat. Why is he on the PK if MT hates him? There are several good PK players on this team, his usage is based on his strength, he's good defensively but subpar offensively, it just makes sense that he gets PK and not PP.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Desharnais is actually having the toughest deployment he's ever had, in terms of zonal deployment at the very least. Can't access QualCom numbers, but last time I checked they were surprisingly high too.
Great. It still doesn't change the fact that these guys haven't been given equal opportunity.
But why are we talking about DD when this is the Eller thread. They don't even play the same position anymore.
Because a poster said that Eller should look to DD as an example. It's a ridiculous argument because DD's been given every opportunity to begin with.
No team will give every player equal opportunity. They cannot afford to.
Well, then don't make an argument that doesn't make sense then. Don't say that Eller should look to a guy who's been given every opportunity to succeed while Eller's never been given the chance. Again, it's up for debate as to how good a player he is or how he would do in a more offensive role. What's not up for debate is that DD has been given far more offensive opportunity than Eller has. So citing DD as an example for Eller to follow is ludicrous.
Not to mention, why would you say that "in order to get PP time you need to be good at ES" and completely remove their PP points from the equation? Don't you also need to be good on the PP to stay on the PP?

So if Desharnais is picking up points on the powerplay...then why wouldn't Therrien keep him on the powerplay?
Very few people have an issue with him on the PP this year. DD has played really well this season.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Why are we not comparing Lars Eller to Tomas Fleischmann? Neither get PP time, both play with offensive minded centres, both play PK, etc.

Can't remember if I actually posted this myself but I was going to. I know DD and Larry are locked together in comparison for all eternity but the more sensible comparison is Eller and Fleischmann. Similar TOI in all situations across the board, probably similar QoC, same position, etc.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Can't remember if I actually posted this myself but I was going to. I know DD and Larry are locked together in comparison for all eternity but the more sensible comparison is Eller and Fleischmann. Similar TOI in all situations across the board, probably similar QoC, same position, etc.

Last time I checked, there was a significant gap (not huge, just significant) between DD's line and Galchenyuk's line.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

Yeah, it boggles my mind it's still about DD vs. Eller when DD is a centre when you can compare Fleischmann and Eller way better. Both don't play PP, both play PK, Fleischmann has got a little more ES minutes but not at first, average the same length shift yet Fleischmann is second only to Pacioretty for even strength points and has 9 more ESP than Eller. Eller is tied with Brian Flynn for even strength points.

Is it because there's no argument one can make against Fleischmann if one is arguing for Eller, while there's all this historical baggage between DD vs. Eller?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yeah, it boggles my mind it's still about DD vs. Eller when DD is a centre when you can compare Fleischmann and Eller way better. Both don't play PP, both play PK, Fleischmann has got a little more ES minutes but not at first, average the same length shift yet Fleischmann is second only to Pacioretty for even strength points and has 9 more ESP than Eller. Eller is tied with Brian Flynn for even strength points.

Is it because there's no argument one can make against Fleischmann if one is arguing for Eller, while there's all this historical baggage between DD vs. Eller?
The obvious reason is that they are both centers and one is being used as a winger. I don't think it's hard to understand. There's nothing "mind boggling" about it.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
The obvious reason is that they are both centers and one is being used as a winger. I don't think it's hard to understand. There's nothing "mind boggling" about it.

Since the start of the season, Lars Eller is a left wing. There's no place for him as a centre with exception to right now Torrey Mitchell being hurt, Eller could take the fourth line centre spot. 20 games in, if Eller went back to centre, he'd be fifth on the depth chart. He isn't in Desharnais' discussion. He's fighting Mitchell for the fourth line spot.

At LW, he hasn't proven capable of being top six. He's once again taking a third line LW position, which he played at times last season when Jacob De la Rose took the 3C spot.

If Eller doesn't play LW, he doesn't have a spot on the team. Plain and simple.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Since the start of the season, Lars Eller is a left wing.
Right. But he's a natural center. So why do we have him on the wing? Moreover, why haven't we ever really given this guy a shot at 2nd line center?

That's where the comparisons come in. It's not hard to understand why people would ask the questions or make the comparisons.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Since the start of the season, Lars Eller is a left wing. There's no place for him as a centre with exception to right now Torrey Mitchell being hurt, Eller could take the fourth line centre spot. 20 games in, if Eller went back to centre, he'd be fifth on the depth chart. He isn't in Desharnais' discussion. He's fighting Mitchell for the fourth line spot.

At LW, he hasn't proven capable of being top six. He's once again taking a third line LW position, which he played at times last season when Jacob De la Rose took the 3C spot.

If Eller doesn't play LW, he doesn't have a spot on the team. Plain and simple.

... Well I think he's playing quite well this season. He would probably look better if there was a better player on the RW, but yeah, not much to say against (or for) him. Doing exactly as he should in the circumstances.

(Besides, in b4 lock...?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad