Lars Eller: first line minutes edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
You mean for the 10 games they've played together after that?
Remember that in 2012-2013, Gallagher wasn't on that line.

Galchneyuk best moment in the NHL were at center and on the wing of Eller. Both those options would destroy poor little Davey so i won't expect you to agree with any of this.

Remember when Galchenyuk was put back on the wing.....you kept saying that
Galchenyuk would produce more on the wing.
Man you were wrong on that one too.

Okay, quote me. If I said it then this should be no problem....

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
He was the only forward Karlsson showed any respect to on the ice. It could be that they're former team mates but Eller was able to hold the puck/strip it against Karlsson while he made our entire top 6 look silly.

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
Eller has no flaw and the Canadiens are showing him no respect... am I doing it right?

That said, I thought the Prust – Eller – Parenteau line had some good shifts during the little time they played together in game 6. I mentioned it before but Parenteau and Eller do have complementary skills.

Eller is out of his usual regular season hibernation and he is back to his great playoff form so it would be good to see at least one of the following wingers on Eller’s wing for round 2: Galchenyuk, Gallagher or Parenteau.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
What hibernation? Eller outproduced every single player in the league given the same usage as him. He was used as a fourth line player in terms of deployment and still nearly hit 30 points with zero offensive zone minutes or PP time.

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
Eller has no flaw and the Canadiens are showing him no respect... am I doing it right?

That said, I thought the Prust – Eller – Parenteau line had some good shifts during the little time they played together in game 6. I mentioned it before but Parenteau and Eller do have complementary skills.

Eller is out of his usual regular season hibernation and he is back to his great playoff form so it would be good to see at least one of the following wingers on Eller’s wing for round 2: Galchenyuk, Gallagher or Parenteau.

Sorry, was your first sentence making fun of Eller advocates immediately followed by a post admitting they were right? :laugh:

Yeah dude, you're doing it right!

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
Sorry, was your first sentence making fun of Eller advocates immediately followed by a post admitting they were right? :laugh:

Yeah dude, you're doing it right!

I am a fan of Eller but I can see his flaws: mild case of tunnel vision, somewhat of a puck hog, never been able to stay "emotionally engaged” for long periods during the regular season (he needs an outside motivation - like the playoffs - ; he seems unable to find it within himself)... I think it’s a good thing when you can list the flaws of the players you like... everything is not black or white... you know this right?

Again... Eller is very solid right now and I do wish to see at least one of the following wingers on Eller’s wing for round 2: Galchenyuk, Gallagher or Parenteau.

My poke at his advocates takes root in the fact that 90% of Eller fans on HFBoards seem unable to name one freakin flaw in his game. I just think it is weird.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I am a fan of Eller but I can see his flaws: mild case of tunnel vision, somewhat of a puck hog, never been able to stay "emotionally engaged†for long periods during the regular season (he needs an outside motivation - like the playoffs - ; he seems unable to find it within himself)... I think it’s a good thing when you can list the flaws of the players you like... everything is not black or white... you know this right?

Again... Eller is very solid right now and I do wish to see at least one of the following wingers on Eller’s wing for round 2: Galchenyuk, Gallagher or Parenteau.

My poke at his advocates takes root in the fact that 90% of Eller fans on HFBoards seem unable to name one freakin flaw in his game. I just think it is weird.

hey! it's great to think him being capable of elevating his game in the PO is one of his flaws...

wonder what you think of those who are lucky enough not to have this huge flaw of his! :naughty:

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
I am a fan of Eller but I can see his flaws: mild case of tunnel vision, somewhat of a puck hog, never been able to stay "emotionally engaged†for long periods during the regular season (he needs an outside motivation - like the playoffs - ; he seems unable to find it within himself)... I think it’s a good thing when you can list the flaws of the players you like... everything is not black or white... you know this right?

He does have his flaws. He sometimes doesn't shot the puck when he has the chance and sometimes he takes a second to long to pass it. He doesn't hit as much as he did in prior seasons.

This puck hog thing is a joke though. Go back and watch the last 3 games closely. Follow his wingers. They are all stagnant. You don't score goals skating in to coverage and just stand there. If I was him, I wouldn't pass it either. I would rather retain the puck for as long as I could hoping one of the 2 idiots I'm with actually ****ing gets open. And on the off chance they do get open, they flub their shots.

dre2112

Jul 17, 2007
US and A
Did you guys even watch Eller in the last 20-30 games of the season or is he Desharnais #2 to some people to s--t on every game regardless of what he does? He's played the same hard working, forechecking, strong on the puck game for a long time now after being bounced up and down between Therrien's line juggling. The puck just wasn't going in for him but damn if he didn't work hard every game.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
hey! it's great to think him being capable of elevating his game in the PO is one of his flaws...

wonder what you think of those who are lucky enough not to have this huge flaw of his! :naughty:

You know what he meant.

Not to compare the two but Bourque was brutal in regular season and clutch in the playoffs. One might say "Bourque is raising his game!" another might say "Where the **** were you?"

It's not that extent with Eller though. In fact, Eller tends to get pucks on net at any point of the season. In the regular season you have more space and can be a little more fancy but in the playoffs it just won't work, that's why Eller is effective.

I've said it about Dale Weise and I'll say it about Eller, these guys are effective when they make decisions quickly and keep their game simple. That's what Eller does come playoff time and it's working out for him.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Eller is not as effective as Plekanec playing with scrubs.

Plekanec is seemingly more effective playing with linemates like Ryan White, Brad Staubitz, and Rene Bourque.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

Plekanec is seemingly more effective playing with linemates like Ryan White, Brad Staubitz, and Rene Bourque.

I've said it several times, people say "Plekanec becomes better with better talent" but honestly the difference in marginal. It's amazing because if Plekanec plays with grinders he hits 45-50 points. If he plays with top 6 forwards he hits 50-55. Ignore high scoring years where point leaders had 100-130 points(vs 80 ish now) and plekanec was younger.

From an optimization perspective it's almost like you're better off throwing him scraps...

I feel dirty even suggesting it though.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK

their respective style of play is the reason why, people who like to possess the puck more (like Eller) need other talented players to interact with and get on the cycle with.

Pleks north-south game doesn't suffer so much as which requires less time to do his damage and is more individualistic.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
their respective style of play is the reason why, people who like to possess the puck more (like Eller) need other talented players to interact with and get on the cycle with.

Pleks north-south game doesn't suffer so much as which requires less time to do his damage and is more individualistic.

A plausible explanation.

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
I am a fan of Eller but I can see his flaws: mild case of tunnel vision, somewhat of a puck hog, never been able to stay "emotionally engaged” for long periods during the regular season (he needs an outside motivation - like the playoffs - ; he seems unable to find it within himself)... I think it’s a good thing when you can list the flaws of the players you like... everything is not black or white... you know this right?

(1) somewhat of a puck hog
- as compile has pointed out, look at his usual linemates, offensive black holes that regularly destroy any play he sets up...he's essentially become conditioned to ignore his wingers.

(2) emotional engagement
- lol, the guy never gets rewarded for any of his effort, to the extent that the media itself is asking MT point blank what Eller needs to do to get more ice-time. Additionally, it's widely acknowledged that Eller became noticeably more animated once the trade deadline passed, so I wonder how much more "consistently engaged" Eller would be if he had even an iota of support from his coach.

The problem is that it's difficult to judge Eller given the current framework he operates under. Maybe you're right and all the "flaws" you listed are just a part of who he is, but maybe they're actually a reflection of being publicly ridiculed by his coach as "...not having scored in 2 months LAWL" or of never getting promoted or rewarded for his hard play.

Last edited by a moderator:

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
Eller was by far our most dominant forward in this series. Every time his line was on the ice the puck stayed in the offensive zone.

JohnKordicsGhost

Jul 1, 2013
You know what he meant.

Not to compare the two but Bourque was brutal in regular season and clutch in the playoffs. One might say "Bourque is raising his game!" another might say "Where the **** were you?"

It's not that extent with Eller though. In fact, Eller tends to get pucks on net at any point of the season. In the regular season you have more space and can be a little more fancy but in the playoffs it just won't work, that's why Eller is effective.

I've said it about Dale Weise and I'll say it about Eller, these guys are effective when they make decisions quickly and keep their game simple. That's what Eller does come playoff time and it's working out for him.

OMG will some of you guys just stop with this idiocy. 8G 3A in 1 17 game playoff run does not make someone a clutch playoff performer.

He did it once, not 8 times over his career. Enough with this bourque is a playoff warrior garbage.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I've said it several times, people say "Plekanec becomes better with better talent" but honestly the difference in marginal. It's amazing because if Plekanec plays with grinders he hits 45-50 points. If he plays with top 6 forwards he hits 50-55. Ignore high scoring years where point leaders had 100-130 points(vs 80 ish now) and plekanec was younger.

From an optimization perspective it's almost like you're better off throwing him scraps...

I feel dirty even suggesting it though.

Well he had 60 points when the league leader had 87 points. So that's not much different from his 70 point season when the leader had 112 points. And 60 vs 43 is a very big gap.

Also should the same argument apply to Pacioretty, he seems to be able produce the same whether it's Gallagher or Weise on his line, should we play him scrubs too?

HabsDieHard*

When Eller plays more minutes than Desharnais, this team has success.

Yet Desharnais continually gets the better wingers, better deployment, and significantly more power play time.

Does anyone really believe that it isn't entirely to do with the province he was born in?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
OMG will some of you guys just stop with this idiocy. 8G 3A in 1 17 game playoff run does not make someone a clutch playoff performer.

He did it once, not 8 times over his career. Enough with this bourque is a playoff warrior garbage.
Totally agree. The guy had some good games in the playoffs for us... great. That makes him John Druce not Rocket Richard.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
(1) somewhat of a puck hog
- as compile has pointed out, look at his usual linemates, offensive black holes that regularly destroy any play he sets up...he's essentially become conditioned to ignore his wingers.

(2) emotional engagement
- lol, the guy never gets rewarded for any of his effort, to the extent that the media itself is asking MT point blank what Eller needs to do to get more ice-time. Additionally, it's widely acknowledged that Eller became noticeably more animated once the trade deadline passed, so I wonder how much more "consistently engaged" Eller would be if he had even an iota of support from his coach.

Are we talking about a pet dog or are we talking about a professional hockey player?

You're basically suggesting that Eller has been predisposed to NOT PASS to his linemates because he's used to having bad linemates. If Eller is that unflexible with his game and is unable to adapt to new linemates, then how could he possibly deserve a bigger role on this team?

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
When Eller plays more minutes than Desharnais, this team has success.

Yet Desharnais continually gets the better wingers, better deployment, and significantly more power play time.

Does anyone really believe that it isn't entirely to do with the province he was born in?

If it was all about where a player was born then why did Briere and PAP go straight into the doghouse. Why did Douglas Murray get played so much?

It's entirely because the coach is not good at evaluating talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad