Confirmed with Link: Larkin suspended 1 game by NHL

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Oh shut it dude

I believe that's what he thinks happened and that he didn't intend to injure him. But Joseph has a history of these kind of hits. Intentional or not at a certain point you have to recognize that you're making bad decisions when hitting and adjust your game.

And I can see how Larkin's sucker punch warranted supplemental discipline. Joseph was ok (unsurprisingly) but it's a dangerous move. Larkin threw the gloved punch then dropped the gloves. In the heat of the moment he got the order wrong. Not that Joseph would've squared up after the dirty hit anyway.

Reactions: jkutswings

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007

How Joseph didn't get 5 is beyond me. Leaving aside Larkin's recovery from a serious neck injury this could have caused one! A clear hit in the back into the boards. Bot that hit and the one on Ras were BS. Cooper's consistent whining to the ref drives me nuts but it appears his goal is much like the Gretsky era Oil Cans, create 4v4 and PP situations (where they excel).

Bruisebros2426

Sep 23, 2021
The fact that Joseph wasn't penalized at all for the hit while the league simultaneously tries to act like they're prioritizing player safety is a joke. Joseph isn't gonna fight anyone over this so they should just take matters into their own hands. Plenty of borderline hits thrown by Tampa and Detroit needs to start taking runs at Kucherov and Hedman. Refs didn't act, league didn't act, Detroit lost because of it. Bring Witkowski in and set a precedent. Who knows if Larkin is going to miss additional time because of this. The f***ing captain of the team just got ran by a random 4th liner, for f***'s sake.

Reactions: JustJokinenAround

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
That feels honest to me.

I agree in that I don’t think he wanted to drive Larkin into the boards, but we watch hockey players do dumb shit all the time with the speed of the game. It’s on the boarder of “uncontrollable accident” and “hit with intent”. Players will always react like the latter, the refs control the game based on which of the two sides they err on.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
The fact that Joseph wasn't penalized at all for the hit while the league simultaneously tries to act like they're prioritizing player safety is a joke. Joseph isn't gonna fight anyone over this so they should just take matters into their own hands. Plenty of borderline hits thrown by Tampa and Detroit needs to start taking runs at Kucherov and Hedman. Refs didn't act, league didn't act, Detroit lost because of it. Bring Witkowski in and set a precedent. Who knows if Larkin is going to miss additional time because of this. The f***ing captain of the team just got ran by a random 4th liner, for f***'s sake.

Add Vasilevskiy to the target list. Aside from fighting, running the other team's goalie, especially one of that caliber, gets the message across real quick. I know, because I used to do it :laugh: And when it comes to running players, the more talented team is always at a disadvantage. Carrying so many players who have a history of dirty or questionable hits, including all 3 involved against Detroit (Joseph, Palat, and Perry) also carries some risk for TB.

That all said, I think the temperature of this rivalry will have cooled way off by the time we play them again in 34 years or whatever. That is, unless Larkin is really hurt and out long term.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Kucherov took himself out with a missed check. Karma.

Stamkos scores in OT, Kucherov suffers injury as Lightning beat Capitals

OneMoreTry

Sep 26, 2021
That all said, I think the temperature of this rivalry will have cooled way off by the time we play them again in 34 years or whatever.

Strange schedule, that's for sure. 2nd of the 4 meetings this season is on 03/04.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
Even if he didn't, he was probably pissed someone would take at a run at him so soon, in his first game back.
He was obviously pissed. Look at his face its pure evil. I would of done the same with that amount of adrenaline.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I love Bill Burr's take. He said perhaps what Wayne wishes he could say.

Wayne is wrong. Even if the league is doing good, they are far away from good enough.

So to be clear while two Tampa players get away with boarding as well, what Larkin did is worse than this as well...

Um yeah, what a ******* joke. Honestly if Larkin is hurt we need to move on from Joseph, the guy that answers for this isn't even him. Take one of their stars out.

It is stupid that we have to target their stars, but we have no choice.

He put himself in a bad position. If he kept skating into the zone the hit wouldn't have happened. He stopped and turned 3ft from the boards trying to keep the puck. Can't put all the blame on him, but it for sure wasn't smart. You can't make any play you want in an effort to keep possession.

Anyway 1 game seems right for his history (none). You can't just deck someone in the face with your glove on.

Shut up.

Craig Button is surprisingly animated about this one

This is the right take. In the heat of the game the players can get carried away and hurt players, but encouraging to injure a star player during a meaningless game is bad, very bad.

Last edited:

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
I just posted this is another thread, but it's relevant here.

I'm still waiting for a single good reason the league shouldn't:

1) Create a short list of inexcusable penalties (spearing, boarding, etc.).
2) Declare that inexcusable penalties carry an automatic 5 minute penalty, player ejection, and review for additional fine and suspension.

Either crap or get off the pot for things they claim they want to eliminate from the game.

If they actually took boarding seriously, the punch never happens in the first place.

Here is the only reason...

Chaos sells tickets and keeps TV's tuned in, and that drives capital growth.

They had a meeting about this, here's the NHL stating why they do what they do:

media.gif

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
“Tell me how soft this era of hockey is using one tweet”…

Kumbaya, my lord, kumbayaaaaaaa....

Yeah, weird times. You had to have your neck broke, your career ended, and your quality of life damaged before someone gave you an apologetic phone call back in the day. This is hockey, you hosers. Don't bury hatchets, unless it's in your opponent's face! LET'S GOOOOOO!!

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Here is the only reason...

Chaos sells tickets and keeps TV's tuned in, and that drives capital growth.

They had a meeting about this, here's the NHL stating why they do what they do:

View attachment 471593

You know what sells more tickets? Superstars doing superstar things. Nobody gives a shit about Luke Witkowski or Rasmus Andersson or Jordin Tootoo being physical assholes.

Reactions: stillwater

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
“Tell me how soft this era of hockey is using one tweet”…

Yeah I'm not saying what they did HAS to happen but I don't think of that as soft either.

If they didn't do that then fine. If they did do that then... fine. Got no judgement either way.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Larkin fought his best friend during a game. I don't see how recognizing each other as human beings off the ice is soft.

Honestly I think fans generally overestimate the amount of genuine hatred between players off the ice anyway.

To flesh this whole thing out further.... I don't think it's really about being "soft" (in a "you are weak" kinda way) or about "hating other players." Back in the day, the culture just dictated that these guys would have already moved on. A phone call was simply.... unnecessary. There was just kind of a mutual understanding that 'it's hockey.' If either player had been seriously hurt, it would be a different story.

That all said, I do have a problem with Joseph in this situation. Here's a guy who has had other questionable hits, and so far has not learned from them. Keeps making them. So his apology lands a bit flat and disingenuous. Actions speak louder than words, but Joseph seems to want the opposite. Eff him. If I'm the Wings, I still have him on my shit list. His lame duck apology simply doesn't mean much. But like I said the other day, going 5 months between games with TB, this whole thing would likely have blown over by March, regardless of any apologies.

Last edited:

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Phone calls to opposing players when one of them may have been hurt from a questionable hit is not new to this era. This goes way back into the history of hockey/sports. There's enough reasons to call this era soft without concocting new ones. Sportsmanship is not soft.

Reactions: Bench

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Phone calls to opposing players when one of them may have been hurt from a questionable hit is not new to this era. This goes way back into the history of hockey/sports. There's enough reasons to call this era soft without concocting new ones. Sportsmanship is not soft.

This certainly did not happen back in the day. Hell, Lemieux never even apologized to Draper after one of the most damaging hits in NHL history. It's a difference in eras. And I'm not using it as ammo to call this era soft, it's simply a difference.

And I just read the exchange between Larkin and Joseph was not a phone call, but a text. Texts didn't even exist back in the day. You think Lemieux called people after any of his dirty hits if he didn't call Draper? Or Kaspataitis? Tucker? Downie? Cooke? Marchment? Stevens? Samuelsson? These guys ran around making a living for themselves as best they knew how within the rules at the time. At least within the rules enough to keep playing and not get kicked out of the league. They didn't care who got run over. They didn't think twice about it and they certainly weren't calling opponents to apologize. At least not 99% of the time, and especially not after hits commensurate with what Joseph did to Larkin.

Again, I'm not saying one era is better or worse because of this difference, and I agree sportsmanship is not soft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad