Confirmed with Link: Larkin suspended 1 game by NHL

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Yes - he went face-first to the boards. 30 percent of the hits along the boards seem to do this.
But it wasn't nearly as dastardly as some pretend.
I tend to think it was worth a minor penalty. it wasn't delivered with all that much force - a lot less than the Palat-on-Rasmussen hit.

I don't think Larkin had "hurt feelings."
But I do think he had an unusually emotional reaction to that hit.

Last edited by a moderator:

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
[MOD]

Larkin probably new he was reinjured and he just was so angry , he could not control himself.

Reactions: MBH

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I'm so sick of these one sided BS calls, I was at the Tampa Detroit game at Amalie Arena when Radko Gudas gave Johan Franzen his career ending concussion when he sucker punched him to the head. But since it was against Detroit it was okay and no penalty.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Lots of, "Detroit always gets screwed" here.

Bad calls happen against everybody.

Do I think the league does a poor job enforcing its own rules? Yes. And part of that includes unnecessary favoritism towards star players - a penalty should be a penalty, regardless of who commits it, or when it's committed.

But there's no agenda that's specifically anti-Detroit. In games this weekend somebody on LA or Minnesota or Philly or Carolina will get screwed, because the problem is league wide, not focused against the Wings.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
A typical boarding is a 2 minute minor penalty. Actually drilling a guy's face into the boards is a minor. Should it be that way? I don't know. But the fact is, suspensions don't get handed out for run of the mill minors.

And this hit of Joseph's was not egregious or over the line. It was at most a 2 minute minor. If you guys think that hit was suspension-worthy, it's going to be a long season for you. I actually don't think it was dirty at all, just unfortunate.

It sucks that he got injured, sure. But it wasn't even the worst boarding call of the game... which was called as 2 minute minor.

I'm more concerned about the Kadri vibes I'm starting to get from Larkin.

Just cause the league doesn't give the proper penalties for hitting from behind is not justification for this hit. It was a dirty play, both of the hits from behind were. Little wee kids get taught when they are 5 and 6 to NEVER hit a guy in the numbers, and yet grown men can check a guy at high speed this way and get away with it. Have you ever skated on ice, honest question? It takes very little to steer an unsuspecting player in a dangerous spot into an even worse position and Joseph darn well knew this. This is also not his first time doing this kind of thing, so it is definitely done with intent to injure.

Larkin didn't get his "feelings" hurt here! He was hit dirty from behind and now appears to be injured as well, on top of spending his summer in a neck brace for similar trash done to him. Any human being in this instance is going to be damn pissed off about their body being put in harms way needlessly. Did he over-react, of course he did (I don't agree with his punch) however I understand it completely.

Reactions: ricky0034

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Do I think the league does a poor job enforcing its own rules? Yes. And part of that includes unnecessary favoritism towards star players - a penalty should be a penalty, regardless of who commits it, or when it's committed.

But there's no agenda that's specifically anti-Detroit. In games this weekend somebody on LA or Minnesota or Philly or Carolina will get screwed, because the problem is league wide, not focused against the Wings.

I agree with this. EVERY team gets screwed and all of this kind of stuff is cyclical and eventually every team gets breaks and every team gets screwed. Like the lottery for the Draft, if it was rigged, Edmonton, Buffalo and New Jersey would have ZERO draft lottery wins as all 3 are nowhere near the big money makers for the NHL.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Yes - he went face-first to the boards. 30 percent of the hits along the boards seem to do this.
But it wasn't nearly as dastardly as some pretend.
I tend to think it was worth a minor penalty. it wasn't delivered with all that much force - a lot less than the Palat-on-Rasmussen hit.

I don't think Larkin had "hurt feelings."
But I do think he had an unusually emotional reaction to that hit.

He went headfirst into the board. The top of his head, resulting in an unnatural compression of his neck.

When you make comments like “there wasn’t all that much force” it really makes me feel like you have the inability to grasp the totality of hit. Joseph didn’t have to provide the force…Larkin’s speed did that. The penalty isn’t “boarding with excessive force” it’s just boarding. Hitting someone from behind is the penalty because even a minor hit can have major consequences.

Watch that video and tell me anyone is embellishing about Larkin hitting the boards without a lot of force. Because that’s what matters. If Joseph wraps up and take it to the boards, this doesn’t happen. If Joseph plays the puck and doesn’t hit Larkin from behind, this doesn’t happen. There’s no embellishing that it was a stupid and dangerous hit that put Larkin’s health at risk.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
Can someone answer this for me, if Larkin is injured does his 1 game suspension start counting despite the fact that’s he’s IR or does it not for into effect until he’s cleared to play again? I assume that it’s the latter.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Can someone answer this for me, if Larkin is injured does his 1 game suspension start counting despite the fact that’s he’s IR or does it not for into effect until he’s cleared to play again? I assume that it’s the latter.

Since there is no system by which the league determines whether a player is healthy enough to play or not, but rather the team, it will surely overlap, one way or another.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Sometimes you guys are so childish that your slap fights are impossible to moderate reasonably.

Reactions: breuk

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
No Ted Kulfan just said that he's serving his suspension this evening, Him possibly being injured has no baring on his suspension.

Last edited:
Reactions: DatsDeking

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021

It was blatant and comes at a time when the NHL has made it a point to eliminate those kinds of hits. The issue is, per usual, the calls are so arbitrary and when that happens you end of not eliminating those hits. Is there a zero tolerance policy or isn’t there?

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
From that video of the hit it looks like he actively shows Larkins head into the boards from behind, he has his stick up and is clearly forcing his arms through the hit. That fits the definition of boarding in the rules quite well, any impact between the head and boards is dangerous.

It is possible he had no intention of causing injury, but he elevates into the hit which forces Larkin's head down, so it was a bad hit. This was clearly a missed boarding call, the refs made up for it by giving roughing calls so we ended up on the PP, but this kind of hit really needs to be eliminated if the NHL wants to ever be taken serious as a sporting league. The league then circled the wagons and instead of giving Joseph supplemental punishment for his dangerous hit but exposing the referees f***-up, they just let it slide.

Larkin then turns around and hits Joseph in the face, which was a bad idea and I think it is fair he is suspended for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad