Confirmed with Link: Larkin suspended 1 game by NHL

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
This certainly did not happen back in the day. Hell, Lemieux never even apologized to Draper after one of the most damaging hits in NHL history. It's a difference in eras. And I'm not using it as ammo to call this era soft, it's simply a difference.

And I just read the exchange between Larkin and Joseph was not a phone call, but a text. Texts didn't even exist back in the day. You think Lemieux called people after any of his dirty hits if he didn't call Draper? Or Kaspataitis? Tucker? Downie? Cooke? Marchment? Stevens? Samuelsson? These guys ran around making a living for themselves as best they knew how within the rules at the time. At least within the rules enough to keep playing and not get kicked out of the league. They didn't care who got run over. They didn't think twice about it and they certainly weren't calling opponents to apologize. At least not 99% of the time, and especially not after hits commensurate with what Joseph did to Larkin.

Again, I'm not saying one era is better or worse because of this difference, and I agree sportsmanship is not soft.
Of course it did. Claude not doing it was part of the reason there was so much animosity. Draper even said as much. Text,call,word sent through a buddy it doesn't matter how the message was sent it absolutely did happen, I've heard way to many stories to believe otherwise. Naming the dirtiest dirt bagts the game has seen and asking if they did it has nothing to do with whether it was a custom or not.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
This certainly did not happen back in the day. Hell, Lemieux never even apologized to Draper after one of the most damaging hits in NHL history. It's a difference in eras. And I'm not using it as ammo to call this era soft, it's simply a difference.

And I just read the exchange between Larkin and Joseph was not a phone call, but a text. Texts didn't even exist back in the day. You think Lemieux called people after any of his dirty hits if he didn't call Draper? Or Kaspataitis? Tucker? Downie? Cooke? Marchment? Stevens? Samuelsson? These guys ran around making a living for themselves as best they knew how within the rules at the time. At least within the rules enough to keep playing and not get kicked out of the league. They didn't care who got run over. They didn't think twice about it and they certainly weren't calling opponents to apologize. At least not 99% of the time, and especially not after hits commensurate with what Joseph did to Larkin.

Again, I'm not saying one era is better or worse because of this difference, and I agree sportsmanship is not soft.
I agree, but you're also citing some of the biggest pieces of shit in the game.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Of course it did. Claude not doing it was part of the reason there was so much animosity. Draper even said as much. Text,call,word sent through a buddy it doesn't matter how the message was sent it absolutely did happen, I've heard way to many stories to believe otherwise. Naming the dirtiest dirt bagts the game has seen and asking if they did it has nothing to do with whether it was a custom or not.

The reason there was so much animosity after the Lemieux his was because he didn't call Draper? Uh, no. The reason there was so much animosity was because of pretty much everything else having to do with that hit. Draper's biggest problems with that hit were the hit itself, and the league failing to properly punish Lemieux. In fact, Draper has said he never expected an apology from Lemieux. Partly because Lemieux was and is a piece of shit, and partly because that was not how things went back then.

The point is, guys with reputations, guys who made these kinds of hits, of which there were many back in the day (not just the dirtiest dirt bags), did not generally call their opponents after dirty hits. It simply did not happen. And ruling out a bunch of guys who were responsible for probably over 50% of the dirty hits back then does not help your argument.

Guys who inadvertently injured their opponent? Accidentally? Guys who generally weren't overly physical? Yes, I've heard the stories of those guys apologizing. They were the exception. But the guys in the 80s and 90s who threw their bodies and sticks around with reckless abandon on a nightly basis were not generally picking up that phone. It wasn't the culture. That's revisionist history of the NHL.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
The reason there was so much animosity after the Lemieux his was because he didn't call Draper? Uh, no. The reason there was so much animosity was because of pretty much everything else having to do with that hit. Draper's biggest problems with that hit were the hit itself, and the league failing to properly punish Lemieux. In fact, Draper has said he never expected an apology from Lemieux. Partly because Lemieux was and is a piece of shit, and partly because that was not how things went back then.

The point is, guys with reputations, guys who made these kinds of hits, of which there were many back in the day (not just the dirtiest dirt bags), did not generally call their opponents after dirty hits. It simply did not happen. And ruling out a bunch of guys who were responsible for probably over 50% of the dirty hits back then does not help your argument.

Guys who inadvertently injured their opponent? Accidentally? Guys who generally weren't overly physical? Yes, I've heard the stories of those guys apologizing. They were the exception. But the guys in the 80s and 90s who threw their bodies and sticks around with reckless abandon on a nightly basis were not generally picking up that phone. It wasn't the culture. That's revisionist history of the NHL.
Well you completely moved the goal posts and made itn into an argument nobody was having. I never said it was the biggest scumbags that were doing it on a nightly basis and neither did the original poster that called it soft to begin with. And Draper absolutely did say that it wouldn't of been such a big thing if it wasn't for Claudes attitude after the hit and not checking in.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Sure, but that's because they account for a very high percentage of dirty hits in the game back then.
Agreed. And while Joseph has somewhat of a history of hits from behind I wouldn't put him in the same category as the guys you listed. So it's less surprising to me that he would reach out to the captain of the team coming back from neck injury who he just put headfirst into the boards.

Reactions: jaster

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Well you completely moved the goal posts and made itn into an argument nobody was having. I never said it was the biggest scumbags that were doing it on a nightly basis and neither did the original poster that called it soft to begin with. And Draper absolutely did say that it wouldn't of been such a big thing if it wasn't for Claudes attitude after the hit and not checking in.

I moved no goalposts and the argument had been clearly established.

Holden called the Larkin-Joseph exchange soft. Lazlo pushed back and said it wasn't soft. I entered agreeing that it wasn't soft but also said that kinda thing did not used to happen, that there is a difference in eras. Then you entered saying that the phone calls for these kind of hits had always regularly happened. And that's what I've been pushing back on since that point of the discussion. That's it. That's the cliff's notes ;)

Last edited:

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Agreed. And while Joseph has somewhat of a history of hits from behind I wouldn't put him in the same category as the guys you listed. So it's less surprising to me that he would reach out to the captain of the team coming back from neck injury who he just put headfirst into the boards.

Yeah, he's not in the same category, in terms of severity, true. But he's similar in that he has a history. A history which he has shown no proclivity to change. Guys who had similar histories back in the day just went about their business. Their dirty hits didn't have the microscope on them as they do today, with the internet, social media, speed of information, cultural shift regarding violence, etc. Heck, they were often celebrated. And so it's really no wonder that they didn't feel the same pressure to apologize to opponents, imo. I'd bet if you transported Larkin, Joseph, and Thursday night's hit back to 1996, there would be no phone call.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Phone calls to opposing players when one of them may have been hurt from a questionable hit is not new to this era. This goes way back into the history of hockey/sports. There's enough reasons to call this era soft without concocting new ones. Sportsmanship is not soft.
What could Dylan Larkin possibly be apologizing for ?

He was hit directly in the numbers and driven into the boards at full speed by a 4th liner.

Accept the apology, but tell him you Are going to punch him twice as hard if he pulls that ish again. Don’t apologize for defending/protecting yourself. Soft.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

He was hit directly in the numbers and driven into the boards at full speed by a 4th liner.

Accept the apology, but tell him you Are going to punch him twice as hard if he pulls that ish again. Don’t apologize for defending/protecting yourself.
I mean what are you going to say when a guy calls and apologizes for the hit he threw on you? He probably doesn't regret punching him in the face but was probably like yeah bro sorry for punching you in the face even if he didn't completely mean it.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I moved no goalposts and the argument had been clearly established.

Holden called the Larkin-Joseph exchange soft. Lazlo pushed back and said it wasn't soft. I entered agreeing that it wasn't soft but also said that kinda thing did not used to happen, that there is a difference in eras. Then you entered saying that the phone calls for these kind of hits had always regularly happened. And that's what I've been pushing back on since that point of the discussion. That's it. That's the cliff's notes ;)
You added in all epic dirt bags through out the game to prove a point. To me the original argument was did it or did not happen between average run of the mill non-sociopathic players. If you want to argue that it didn't happen from the guys routinely out there trying to hurt people then yeah that no argument here.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I mean what are you going to say when a guy calls and apologizes for the hit he threw on you? He probably doesn't regret punching him in the face but was probably like yeah bro sorry for punching you in the face even if he didn't completely mean it.

The report did say that it was a text. So he had many options for a reply....

'new phone who dis'

a meme of McCarty dragging Lemieux to the boards

a dick pic

a photo of Joseph's mom

a FlashyG original

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Accept the apology, but tell him you Are going to punch him twice as hard if he pulls that ish again. Don’t apologize for defending/protecting yourself. Soft.

Sportsmanship isn't soft. I hate this weird macho shit that you've gotta be a f***ing hard ass or that's somehow a bad look on you.

Joseph likely regretted the shove to Larkin's back. Larkin probably regretted punching Joseph with a glove on, even if he felt it justified at the time. Guys aren't trying to injure one another. You're not a tough guy if you're going around throwing hands to throw hands nor a soft guy if you're not trying to engage in fisticuffs.

You just say "Hey, I probably shouldn't have punched you, but you can't be crosschecking me in the back."

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
You added in all epic dirt bags through out the game to prove a point. To me the original argument was did it or did not happen between average run of the mill non-sociopathic players. If you want to argue that it didn't happen from the guys routinely out there trying to hurt people then yeah that no argument here.

I added in a bunch of guys with histories, which Joseph has, albeit not as severe as the ones I listed. But ok, forget the names I mentioned. I'm saying guys who regularly made questionable hits, big or small, did not apologize. And guys who weren't regular perpetrators also didn't apologize when they made hits commensurate with what Joseph did (i.e. relatively minor ones). Guys who weren't normally dirty and who inadvertently injured another player.... yeah there have been apologies.

But here's the point distilled down, which I made in another reply: The Jospeh hit, 25 years ago, would not have been apologized for.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Is it weird to anyone else that a boarding 2-minute "minor" even exists in this game? Boarding is one of the most dangerous things you can do in hockey. It should be called consistently and it should always be an automatic 5-min major in my opinion. Do everything you can to take it out of the game. Hit a guy who sees you coming, or don't hit at all.

Looking back at the game log I see this is somewhat moot, since Joseph's penalty was apparently called "roughing"... like what?...

Reactions: jaster and Bench

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Is it weird to anyone else that a boarding 2-minute "minor" even exists in this game? Boarding is one of the most dangerous things you can do in hockey. It should be called consistently and it should always be an automatic 5-min major in my opinion. Do everything you can to take it out of the game. Hit a guy who sees you coming, or don't hit at all.

Looking back at the game log I see this is somewhat moot, since Joseph's penalty was apparently called "roughing"... like what?...

Yeah, what a mess all around. From the league trying to eliminate fighting while also refusing to punish dirty hits, to the penalty calls be blatantly incorrect.... the league is pretty embarrassing at this point, in the way it's run.

Reactions: Bench

staubitz

Apr 30, 2015

The hit itself was not penalized at all. The roughing minor is for what transpired after the hit. And no discipline from the league for the hit either... it was completely unpenalized.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad