Value of: Larkin availability, generally and particularly to Rangers

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
LarKing is exercising his right to pretty much say he isn't moving Dylan regardless of almost any overpayment.

We need to hear from DET fans, so we get an idea of how much overpayment Larkin commands.

I quoted what I thought was liveable, and explained why.

If Wing fans want moon AND stars AND sun, no deal.
I will go as far as I did, no more.

This isn’t overpayment at all. You’re getting the best player in the deal pretty easily and a likely top 3 pick with our centers left in this condition. This would be talked about for ages as how the Rangers turned their rebuild around in only a year and the Wings destroyed theirs.

Reactions: cowboycoffee

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Among a rather long list of terrible proposals, this one is top 5. Maybe this should be closed down before someone gets mad and flames the OP.......unmercilessly.

Note to OP, why would the Rangers give up 3 pieces they really need? I understand Larkin demands a premium but these teams don't make good trading partners if the Rangers have to give up a guy they look at as McD lite(top pair LHD), Buch(likely the most talented forward in the system) and Andersson who you seem hell bent on moving.
Terrible proposal.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
What would Larkin cost from the Rangers?

Sums up your post in 881 less words.
Detroit is in a very similar position as NYR, rebuild. They have no reason to trade Larkin or 2019 1st lottery pick you tossed in. As verbose as you are, it's all an attempt to cover up how little sense your proposal makes. Also this deal is terrible for both teams. LOL at "overpayment cant got the acquiring team" comment and then offering Skjei, Buch and Andersson.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Detroit literally just signed Vanek, and now were including him in a deal as a cap dump. and honestly, thats not even the worst part of this deal.

Classic.

I dont think you have to worry about anyone stealing your intellectual property on this one.

Reactions: STLomacneko

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Not interested giving up Buch or Skjei or Lias....especially not all 3 of them
We have 0 need for Larkin as well and Detroit has 0 need to give him up.
It’d cost a crazy overpayment which I’m not willing to give up

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
And Point doubled his goals, while proving to be a playoff performer. That's not to say Larkin wouldn't show the same in the playoffs, but it's easy to see why somebody might prefer Point.

Yeah, Larkin had a ridiculously low shooting percentage this year. He did pick it up in the last quarter though, so it'll be interesting to see how he does next year.

Even moreso, if he can put up nearly 50 assists with Mantha and a bunch of trash, it'll be interesting to see what he can do with Zadina.

I don't know if it would be a top 3 pick after you get back those 3 pieces. It'll still be a top 10 which is bad for the Wings.

Trade Larkin and Zetterberg may LTIR... That'd make Nielsen our #1C. We'd be an absolute dumpster fire.

Reactions: Oddbob

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Yeah, Larkin had a ridiculously low shooting percentage this year. He did pick it up in the last quarter though, so it'll be interesting to see how he does next year.

Even moreso, if he can put up nearly 50 assists with Mantha and a bunch of trash, it'll be interesting to see what he can do with Zadina.

Trade Larkin and Zetterberg may LTIR... That'd make Nielsen our #1C. We'd be an absolute dumpster fire.
I consider Rangers to be a dumpster fire even with this trade. Our defense would be atrocious. Then you have Ottawa, Buffalo is going to be a question mark even with Dahlin. On paper Montreal seems pretty bad. While it's possible Wings finish in the top 3 (without lottery help), I think it's just as possible for the wings to finish outside of that. But I'll admit, I haven't heard anything on the Zetterberg LTIR.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I wouldn’t move Larkin OR the 1st ALONE for this what the actual **** is this? How can you actually call this an overpayment? We give up the two best pieces easily.
Okay. I am as big of a Larkin fan as anyone but this is ridiculous. A young top 6 forward, a young top 4 defenseman and one of the Rangers top prospects wouldn't be enough for Larkin or a 1st alone? That is as absurd as the OP.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Okay. I am as big of a Larkin fan as anyone but this is ridiculous. A young top 6 forward, a young top 4 defenseman and one of the Rangers top prospects wouldn't be enough for Larkin or a 1st alone? That is as absurd as the OP.

Pshhh you don't even have Larkin in your username or avatar....casual.

No, but seriously I wouldn't. I've kind've already said it in other posts but here is why.

1. That pick is probably a top 5 pick, potentially top 3, could be the lottery winner. I wouldn't move it for anything short of a legit star or prospect with superstar potential.

2. I do not view any of the 3 main players coming back to us as having more than 2nd line/2nd pairing potential. Flame me here if you'd like, but I'm not super high on any of those 3.

3. Our center depth falls apart without Larkin. Zetterberg is announcing if he's playing next year pretty soon and I don't think he will be. That would leave us with Andersson and Nielson. I don't think I need to explain my concern there any further.

4. We have plenty of good players (Mantha, AA, Nyquist, Larkin, etc.) and good prospects (Rasmussen, Veleno, Berggren, Hronek, etc.) but we have no elite players and probably only Zadina as an elite prospect if you count him as one. I am not worried about our future depth all that much. I'm much more worried about our top players being a 60 point Larkin, 60 point Buchnevich, 50 point Andersson, etc. Larkin, Zadina, and our 1st this next draft are our best chances of ending up with an elite player or two. I'm not trading any of them for pieces I don't see as ending up as legit 1st liners/1st pairing defenders or more. The value is enough for one of those pieces, but given our situation it's a stupid move.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Pshhh you don't even have Larkin in your username or avatar....casual.

No, but seriously I wouldn't. I've kind've already said it in other posts but here is why.

1. That pick is probably a top 5 pick, potentially top 3, could be the lottery winner. I wouldn't move it for anything short of a legit star or prospect with superstar potential.

2. I do not view any of the 3 main players coming back to us as having more than 2nd line/2nd pairing potential. Flame me here if you'd like, but I'm not super high on any of those 3.

3. Our center depth falls apart without Larkin. Zetterberg is announcing if he's playing next year pretty soon and I don't think he will be. That would leave us with Andersson and Nielson. I don't think I need to explain my concern there any further.

4. We have plenty of good players (Mantha, AA, Nyquist, Larkin, etc.) and good prospects (Rasmussen, Veleno, Berggren, Hronek, etc.) but we have no elite players and probably only Zadina as an elite prospect if you count him as one. I am not worried about our future depth all that much. I'm much more worried about our top players being a 60 point Larkin, 60 point Buchnevich, 50 point Andersson, etc. Larkin, Zadina, and our 1st this next draft are our best chances of ending up with an elite player or two. I'm not trading any of them for pieces I don't see as ending up as legit 1st liners/1st pairing defenders or more. The value is enough for one of those pieces, but given our situation it's a stupid move.

When you put it that way, it makes a little bit more sense. Still not 100% because I think Larkin for Buchnevich, Skjei, Andersson definitely favors the Wings by very large amount. To each their own I guess.

solo16

Nov 22, 2007
CT
This is dumb. That package is barely enough for either one of those assets. Larkin's value is pretty close possibly over a lottery pick. Prob not a 1st overall but pretty close (he is a legit first line low end franchise center hes still young his ceiling is obviously not Matthews/McDavid). Detroit's 2019 is probably worth a 2nd overall to 5th overall. Why you would trade for a bunch of Mid to late first round assets I am not sure. Do 3 picks from 15th (Andersson is not worth the 7th used on him) to 30th equal 2 top 3ish picks? I would pass easily.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Too risky dealing the pick, and I don't think Larkin can be dealt because there's no other internal 1C option.

I think people saying NYR isn't giving up a lot are kidding themselves, but the deal just doesn't fit Detroit's game plan moving forward.

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto
Thought I’d try a non Leaf trade thread.

Disappointed to find these are bad everywhere
EVQYYwT.png

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
We have 0 need for Larkin as well and Detroit has 0 need to give him up.
It’d cost a crazy overpayment which I’m not willing to give up
We could definitely use a young 1C.

Having said that, yeah Larkin would cost an absurd amount and it just doesn't make sense for NYR to do it. I wouldn't say we have no need for him though, he's an excellent player at the most important position in the game.

Reactions: LarKing

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
If there was going to be trade around the Rangers and Larkin, I would imagine Chytil would be the prime target, not Andersson. Nothing against Lias. I think he has a higher floor than Chytil, but Chytil has a higher ceiling. I mean, he put up 31 points in 46 games in the AHL at 18.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Not to hate on Zib, but he’s barely a 50 point player after 7 seasons. Not really close to a young 1C.
He is only 25. If he stays healthy I think he gets 60 this year. That is his biggest issue, staying healthy.

To be fair, Larkin's other two seasons aren't 1C production either. He could just as easily take a step back this year and then we traded a bunch of assets for a guy who has similar production to Mika. I know Mika is a few years older but look at the last three seasons and their points per game average is nearly identical. This will be a very telling year for Larkin.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
He is only 25. If he stays healthy I think he gets 60 this year. That is his biggest issue, staying healthy.

To be fair, Larkin's other two seasons aren't 1C production either. He could just as easily take a step back this year and then we traded a bunch of assets for a guy who has similar production to Mika. I know Mika is a few years older but look at the last three seasons and their points per game average is nearly identical. This will be a very telling year for Larkin.

You’re right, they’re not 1C seasons by any means. He took a big step this past year and next year will definitely be telling. His shooting percentage was pretty terrible though, I see his goal totals going up a bit next season. We shall see.

Mika could do more with more minutes, but after 7 seasons guys normally don’t jump too much. We’ll have to wait and see with him as well.

Reactions: STLomacneko

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Not to hate on Zib, but he’s barely a 50 point player after 7 seasons. Not really close to a young 1C.
He’s not a 1C but he can be for sure. He has a tendency to disappear after coming back from an injury. He was PPG through the first 20+ games, gets injured, invisible for a while and KZB can’t rekindle their magic, and lights it up at the end of the year again. If he’s fully healthy next year I could see 30+ goals and 30 assists.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
If there was going to be trade around the Rangers and Larkin, I would imagine Chytil would be the prime target, not Andersson. Nothing against Lias. I think he has a higher floor than Chytil, but Chytil has a higher ceiling. I mean, he put up 31 points in 46 games in the AHL at 18.
Iirc he was 1st on the team in PPG as well. Chytil definitely has elite potential and Zib can also be a 1C. Nothing against Larkin but I’d rather see how they do first before trading big assets for Larkin

TwoPiece

Jul 24, 2018
I wouldn’t move Larkin OR the 1st ALONE for this what the actual **** is this? How can you actually call this an overpayment? We give up the two best pieces easily.
This is all that needs to be said.

Edit: Also, there is literally no reason that Detroit makes a single trade to "save money". You know who owns the franchise, right? They're never gonna pinch pennies on the Red Wings. Gtfoh. Srsly.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad