Value of: Larkin availability, generally and particularly to Rangers

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The purpose of this thread is to ask 2 questions:
1, how much does the love of Larkin impact his theoretical potential availability
and
2, if he can be had for a reasonable overpayment, can NYR-DET structure a win-win.

Larkin availability
Obviously, he is not only a top asset, he is also a fan favorite. That properly should add a bit to the overpayment required to pry him loose, but how much is a bit? If a good deal on paper is seen, do Wings settle for profit? Or is there a posture of the moon is not enough, it would take the sun and the stars and the moon?
I see a strategic win win fit for both clubs, but the overpayment can't be so much as to gut an acquiring club. Larkin is all that, he may indeed be all that and a bag of chips, he commands that much. But we are not in or anywhere near MacKinnon, let alone McDavid territory.

NYR-DET
Assuming Larkin costs real overpayment, but not crazy massive overpayment, the Winged Wheel and Broadway Blueshirts should chat.
Larkin will command an overpayment, let's recognize that is a given. What is negotiable is how much and the other currency [pieces] in the deal impacting that.

Red Wings need:
help across the board, youth is nice, they have some but it is not ready, and can barely finagle the cap putting Franzen on IR [currently 2.8ish m per CapFriendly]. Quality elcs are highly valued here as well as league wide.

Rangers need:
upgrades and talent acquisition, preferably younger to ease molding of a new younger core; facilitated consolidation of assets to upgrade/better manage talent pool

The offer --- the following package:
To DET: Larkin (rfa)* + DET 2019 1st unprotected + cap dump Vanek 3m expiring
for
To NYR: Skjei (rfa) + Andersson elc + Buchnevich elc + NYR 2019 2nd + Halverson
*preferably 8 years at 6m per, then immediately traded to NY

analysis: Detroit
-- money standpoint: Skjei renew cost will be closer to 5, Larkin closer to 6, so that is real $ saved. If Howard dealt, disappointing 2nd rounder Halverson is a freebie throw in who, if he can cut the mustard enough, is another body to backup starter Bernier; not a long term solution but possible stopgap saving $ while Howie nets assets. Andersson is immediate top 6 who replaces Larkin at 1C, solid Swedish background, looks good to pair with Zadina. Add elc Buchnevich, who plays either W. Losing Vanek's $3m is addition by subtraction.
-- talent standpoint: Larkin atm is the best single piece, but totality of what is delivered is clearly talent add to Red Wings. $ and cap mgmt aside, solid adds at LW, C, and W. Andersson and Buchnevich are solid bets, and Skjei looks a lot like a rough version of McDonagh pre all the injuries. Surrender of 1st is somewhat offset by Rangers 2nd, gives Detroit 3 2nds for next year, so possibility to move back into 1st round is not a given, but plausible. Andersson was 7OA. With this deal, Detroit will be improved but still likely a non-playoff [eg lottery] team. That pick COULD go very high, but it could be later. If we split the possibles it could be close to this year's 6OA, and Andersson is full 3 years elc ready and available to play NOW, no lost time developing.

analysis: New York
-- money standpoint: no issues, Rangers have cap, Larkin is a long term build, and Vanek expiring is not a concern,
-- talent standpoint: Skjei is our best LD, but this year does not count, we are positioning ourselves to emerge the following year (best case scenario). We have multiple LD prospects and we want to be ready to make those available quickly once someone emerges, so value of Skjei as a downpayment in Larkin deal is smart. We will showcase Smith and not overuse Staal at 3LD with an eye to replace at some pt next year.
Andersson, we hardly knew ye, but we are tying our cart to Chytil, so Andy is expendable if someone pays enough. Andy + for 2019 1st works for NY.
Buch and the 2nd are necessary sacrifices.
Halverson is an afterthought, we have plenty of G prospects as we wait for Shesty.

This brings us to Larkin.
I make no apologies whatsoever for my adamant insistence that , all things equal, we try Boo Nieves, who in a vacuum is clearly NOT a 1C, as a pivot with Kreider, who is our 1LW regardless of linemates, to see what kind of chemistry is possible, and if terrif speed x2 + the right RW = synergy, as Boo would only have to support his Ws, not drive the offensive play for them. However, Dylan's acquisition would not be all things =. He is an elite skater, a la Kreider, though only 6'1", possibly filling out a tad more at 21. Unlike Nieves, he can already shoot. Despite off year last season he is worth the cost if it is this and no more. Kravtsov will make it a dominant line.

Also looking ahead, this could help NY win the Panarin sweepstakes by making Fs deeper and NY more attractive.
Kreider - Larkin - Kravtsov
Chytil - Hayes - Panarin
Vesey - Nieves - Fast
Gropp - Howden - Lettieri

with some current Fs moved for RD help or picks

comments.... [constructive analysis welcomed]

Reactions: iSophagus and Ola

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Classic Bern proposal. Get the 2 best assets while giving up more lesser assets. Classic. The value isn't even that slanted towards the Rangers (I actually think it's close to bad for the Rangers), since Skjei, Buchnevich and Andersson are all valuable pieces, but the Rangers are still getting the 2 best assets for a package of lesser assets.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
You acknowledge that it would take an overpayment...and then you throw in our first round pick for THAT??

Also...and I can't stress this enough... The Red Wings JUST chose to sign Vanek this offseason because they believe he provides value to our hockey team. Just because he is over the age of 26 and HFBoards doesn't value him DOES NOT mean NHL teams don't or that he is a throw in "cap dump"

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Awful trade for both teams.

If we're trading Skjei Buch and Lias I'm expecting someone much better than Larkin. More like Point. And even then I'm nor sure I would make that trade.

Awful for Detroit because of giving up the pick.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
1) Vanek isn't a cap dump.
2)Red Wings want to keep Larkin and don't want to give up a first unless their team is immediately better going forward, where they can bring in some of the prospects they already drafted and compete.
3) Rangers just gave up 3 important pieces. I guess we'll find out if Smith/Staal, or Poink can be our best d-man. Maybe Shatty learns to play D.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Awful trade for both teams.

If we're trading Skjei Buch and Lias I'm expecting someone much better than Larkin. More like Point. And even then I'm nor sure I would make that trade.

Awful for Detroit because of giving up the pick.

Point and Larkin finished with nearly the same amount of points despite one playing on the best offensive team in the league and the other playing on one of the bottom 3...

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Point and Larkin finished with nearly the same amount of points despite one playing on the best offensive team in the league and the other playing on one of the bottom 3...
And Point doubled his goals, while proving to be a playoff performer. That's not to say Larkin wouldn't show the same in the playoffs, but it's easy to see why somebody might prefer Point.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
lol you want the Red Wings to give up their main piece of their core AND a probable early first?
They are getting paid upfront with immediately available assets NOW. See post quoted below...

Classic Bern proposal. Get the 2 best assets while giving up more lesser assets. Classic. The value isn't even that slanted towards the Rangers (I actually think it's close to bad for the Rangers), since Skjei, Buchnevich and Andersson are all valuable pieces, but the Rangers are still getting the 2 best assets for a package of lesser assets.

What is surrendered is fair value for what is sacrificed, with adequate doable overpayment to Wings, and DET posters not recognizing how this helps as to greatly improved cap while adding multiple pieces of talent.

You acknowledge that it would take an overpayment...and then you throw in our first round pick for THAT??

Also...and I can't stress this enough... The Red Wings JUST chose to sign Vanek this offseason because they believe he provides value to our hockey team. Just because he is over the age of 26 and HFBoards doesn't value him DOES NOT mean NHL teams don't or that he is a throw in "cap dump"

If Vanek is important to you, fine, we can do a different acceptable cap dump, or none at all. That is a secondary back scratch aspect of the deal, not a core part.

As to "for THAT" -- do you know what you are scoffing at?
Andersson can approximate the 1st.
Skjei + Buch + pick + cap help for Larkin is not chump change.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Larkin is the absolute player they would trade. You want that guy AND a likely top 3 pick? Classic Bernmeister quality proposal lol.
I don't know if it would be a top 3 pick after you get back those 3 pieces. It'll still be a top 10 which is bad for the Wings.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Skjei Buch and Andersson for the 1st? Of course you would

LarKing is exercising his right to pretty much say he isn't moving Dylan regardless of almost any overpayment.

We need to hear from DET fans, so we get an idea of how much overpayment Larkin commands.

I quoted what I thought was liveable, and explained why.

If Wing fans want moon AND stars AND sun, no deal.
I will go as far as I did, no more.

Reactions: FatGiraffe

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
+ cap dump Vanek 3m expiring

I mostly stopped reading here.

A. How is Vanek a "cap dump" when they just signed him to that deal less than a month ago?
B. Vanek has an NTC on this latest deal, and I doubt he waives it before he even plays a game for his new team...

As for the trade, if Gorton called Holland with this offer, I really doubt Holland would simply hang up. He'd probably just laugh and then get Gorton to agree to take Nick Jensen for a 2nd and 3rd. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I don't know if it would be a top 3 pick after you get back those 3 pieces. It'll still be a top 10 which is bad for the Wings.

With Larkin gone and Z looking to be retiring our centers would be a 19 year old Andersson and a 34 year old Nielsen. It’s probably a top 1 pick honestly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad