Trade: [LAR/BUF] Sammy Watkins dealt to the Rams

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Sammy Watkins somehow downgraded at QB. That's impressive.

I don't think Buffalo did bad in this trade. If Watkins stays healthy, he's an obvious upgrade. Austin's contract is so awful and they'll have to pay Sammy more than him.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
The downside is that Watkins could be a superstar. He is a difference maker who hasn't had a real QB to get him the ball. When he's playing, even injured, the guy is always open.

The good news is that there's no way Goff takes advantage of him as a #1

The bad news is I could totally see Watkins going UFA and a AFC East team picking him up next year to haunt the Bills.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
do they have a line yet?

They signed Andrew Whitworth to be their left tackle. Jon Sullivan was signed to be their center. Havenstein graded positively at tackle in his rookie year and was playing hurt last year. Jamon Brown is the new starter at right guard. Saffold is the holdover at left guard. So our line is pretty solid.

Tavon Austin is likely going to be cut/traded and have a lot of money saved after this year.

As for the comments about Goff, I hope you guys realize that he was set up to fail in his rookie year. Our offensive coordinator had a middle school offense, Jeff Fisher decided to go with Case freaking Keenum over Goff for all but seven games, and judging a quarterback for seven games, especially when he has the potential to be great, is very shortsighted.

But please, by all means, tell me how much Goff is going to suck this year. Tell me how he's a downgrade from Tyrod freaking Taylor. I'll be here to watch y'all eat some crow. And if you're right about Goff, I'll eat crow myself. But I look on the positive side for my Rams, so...who knows?

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It's crazy how quickly people are writing off Goff. He has some surrounding talent and went from a terrible coach to one of the brightest young minds in the league. Maybe he still flames out, but at least he actually has a chance this year.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
But please, by all means, tell me how much Goff is going to suck this year. Tell me how he's a downgrade from Tyrod freaking Taylor. I'll be here to watch y'all eat some crow. And if you're right about Goff, I'll eat crow myself. But I look on the positive side for my Rams, so...who knows?

So I think Goff is going to suck but totally just my opinion. Hope he doesn't suck for you guys. I'll totally eat crow too. I'm not a Goff hater I just don't see it in the guy.

At least you've got a chance though. After watching Paxton Lynch this preseason I'm a bit afraid the Broncos are going back to the QB well again next year in round 1 or 2.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
So I think Goff is going to suck but totally just my opinion. Hope he doesn't suck for you guys. I'll totally eat crow too. I'm not a Goff hater I just don't see it in the guy.

At least you've got a chance though. After watching Paxton Lynch this preseason I'm a bit afraid the Broncos are going back to the QB well again next year in round 1 or 2.

I can totally respect your opinion. :)

Also, Trevor Siemien wasn't too bad, was he? He's still with the Broncos, right?

My brother happens to be a Broncos fan (he switched after the Rams moved), so I'm invested in seeing them succeed, unless it's against the Rams, of course.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Still should have taken Wentz. Said it last year too.

It's interesting to note that Taylor's PPG didn't really change much with Watkins vs without him (15.8 to 15.3)

Goff is definitely in a better spot but how much better might be getting exaggerated. When a good team like Cincinnati lets a guy like Whitworth go in free agency, it makes me wonder. Sullivan is a definite upgrade at center.

Tavon Austin and Robert Woods I have very low opinions. It's still Gurley's team

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Still should have taken Wentz. Said it last year too.

It's interesting to note that Taylor's PPG didn't really change much with Watkins vs without him (15.8 to 15.3)

Goff is definitely in a better spot but how much better might be getting exaggerated. When a good team like Cincinnati lets a guy like Whitworth go in free agency, it makes me wonder. Sullivan is a definite upgrade at center.

Tavon Austin and Robert Woods I have very low opinions. It's still Gurley's team

We'll see. Wentz had three good games, and the wheels came off. I think he'll succeed if he gets his mechanics straightened out, but I like what Goff did, going to the same two people who've helped numerous quarterbacks straighten out their mechanics.

Cinci didn't re-sign Whitworth because they have two young tackles in Cedric Ogbuehi and Jake Fisher, whom they drafted high (first for Ogbuehi, second for Fisher). He's thirty-five, sure, but he's so solid that I think that he'll last for the Rams through his contract.

Woods came from a situation in Buffalo where the run game was central. He had his stats under a poor passing team in Buffalo. Under McVay's scheme, who knows what he can do.

Like I mentioned, Tavon can be released or traded after this year, and we save money. But it wouldn't hurt to see what he can do in a good offensive system. I expect someone else to take his job in the end, but he's got playmaking ability.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
We'll see. Wentz had three good games, and the wheels came off. I think he'll succeed if he gets his mechanics straightened out, but I like what Goff did, going to the same two people who've helped numerous quarterbacks straighten out their mechanics.

Cinci didn't re-sign Whitworth because they have two young tackles in Cedric Ogbuehi and Jake Fisher, whom they drafted high (first for Ogbuehi, second for Fisher). He's thirty-five, sure, but he's so solid that I think that he'll last for the Rams through his contract.

Woods came from a situation in Buffalo where the run game was central. He had his stats under a poor passing team in Buffalo. Under McVay's scheme, who knows what he can do.

Like I mentioned, Tavon can be released or traded after this year, and we save money. But it wouldn't hurt to see what he can do in a good offensive system. I expect someone else to take his job in the end, but he's got playmaking ability.

At his cap hit, he better. Only Dez and Fitz are higher than Austin.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
As for the comments about Goff, I hope you guys realize that he was set up to fail in his rookie year. Our offensive coordinator had a middle school offense, Jeff Fisher decided to go with Case freaking Keenum over Goff for all but seven games, and judging a quarterback for seven games, especially when he has the potential to be great, is very shortsighted.

You realize Kenny Britt and Brian Quick posted much better numbers under Case Keenum than Goff? They should have went to Goff sooner but he clearly wasnt ready to start Week 1.

Goff was horrible last season even for rookie standards.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

Woods has been trash the past two seasons. Loved him as a rookie. I had high hopes for him. Unfortunately he has stone hands. Drops way too many passes to be a consistent threat in the passing game.

Sammy is a beast, though. He's inconsistent, but who knows how much of that is due to injury. The potential is real.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
You realize Kenny Britt and Brian Quick posted much better numbers under Case Keenum than Goff? They should have went to Goff sooner but he clearly wasnt ready to start Week 1.

Goff was horrible last season even for rookie standards.

As was Peyton Manning. As was Troy Aikman.

Granted, Goff didn't play well, but he's not the first rookie quarterback who's struggled out the gate. Like I said, seven games isn't nearly enough to judge a rookie quarterback.

As for Britt and Quick, they only played hard under Keenum. After Fisher was fired, they threw in the towel. And Quick sucked under Keenum as well. Total bust.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Goff was absolute garbage for a rookie, for an NFL player, for anyone. He had no business starting. What that means for his future is up for debate, but I didn't see anything promising while watching him.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
He has some habits that will be tough to break in one year. I was disappointed in him. It was like the opposite of the quarterback I watched at Cal.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
As was Peyton Manning. As was Troy Aikman.

Granted, Goff didn't play well, but he's not the first rookie quarterback who's struggled out the gate. Like I said, seven games isn't nearly enough to judge a rookie quarterback.

As for Britt and Quick, they only played hard under Keenum. After Fisher was fired, they threw in the towel. And Quick sucked under Keenum as well. Total bust.

Usually guys flash. Goff didn't. Its not like he was a 3rd round pick, The Rams invested a lot to get him and he didn't inspire much hope.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
What about the Saints game? Goff threw three touchdowns in that game and executed a perfect two-minute drill in the second quarter.

Dude, you're gonna go Saints on this one? Everybody tears up that defense. And he didn't even throw for 300 yards.

Jul 10, 2010
The good news is that there's no way Goff takes advantage of him as a #1

The bad news is I could totally see Watkins going UFA and a AFC East team picking him up next year to haunt the Bills.

Unless Watkins has a VERY bad year the Rams will either resign him, or franchise him. he wont see UFA in 2018

And yea Goff played poor last year, but that line was so, so so bad. Writing Goff off after last year would be like saying Gurley is gonna be bad as well. That line (GROB especially) gave him no protection, and players like Lance Kendricks and Tavon dropped wide open passes

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Dude, you're gonna go Saints on this one? Everybody tears up that defense. And he didn't even throw for 300 yards.

I'm a girl, not a dude. What he asked was if there was any flashes. And yes, Goff was good, even if he didn't throw for three-hundred yards; three passing touchdowns - one coming off of a two-minute drive - is pretty good.

If I'm wrong, I'll come back here and gladly eat crow, but I don't think I'm going to be wrong.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm a girl, not a dude. What he asked was if there was any flashes. And yes, Goff was good, even if he didn't throw for three-hundred yards; three passing touchdowns - one coming off of a two-minute drive - is pretty good.

If I'm wrong, I'll come back here and gladly eat crow, but I don't think I'm going to be wrong.

That was also the worst defense he faced, in a game that got out of hand. Big ask for a rookie to keep up with Drew Brees, but #1 overall picks also aren't baby-proofed the way Goff was. It's the whole body of work.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
That was also the worst defense he faced, in a game that got out of hand. Big ask for a rookie to keep up with Drew Brees, but #1 overall picks also aren't baby-proofed the way Goff was. It's the whole body of work.

True, it was the worst defense he faced, and it was a game that got out of hand because the Rams defense was exposed. It's huge to ask a rookie to keep up with Drew Brees, and Goff did try. I'm not saying that his rookie year wasn't terrible; it was. Still, to say that he showed nothing is - in my honest opinion - disingenuous. He was thrown into easily the worst situation of any quarterback, and he has a chance to bounce back with a better head coach, a better offensive system, a better offensive line, and a better cast of weapons to choose from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad