Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Whether he stays or not, he won't bulk up in college. Caufield was 160 coming out of college, now 175.

If you want him to bulk up you have to hope he turns pro.

If he bulks up a bit, he's working out and is obsessive with it. This is a behind the scenes development vs where he is playing (NCAA vs NHL vs AHL). There are gyms in every city.

However, maybe he feels like he don't need to get stronger in the NCAA and changes his strategy or development focus once he turns pro and faces guys that are faster/stronger.

Don't even want to think about Hutson walking to UFA. I don't care if it's within his rights, if he does that after we drafted him it would be a huge betrayal of the Habs org. and fans.

Hopefully Dube is full of shit.

It's the same shit every year. Same worrisome reporting was done with Caufield, Farrell, Struble, Harris, Poehling, Primeau, Evans.

Clickbait reporting. It's nonsense.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
So if BU loses on the 11th, he can sign and play the final game of the year to burn his ELC.

If they go to the finals, he wouldn't be available for the game against Detroit on the 13th so does he just sign his ELC starting next year, sign an ATO with Laval and be eligible to play out the last two games with them and if they make the playoffs, be playoff eligible?

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
If he bulks up a bit, he's working out and is obsessive with it. This is a behind the scenes development vs where he is playing (NCAA vs NHL vs AHL). There are gyms in every city.

However, maybe he feels like he don't need to get stronger in the NCAA and changes his strategy or development focus once he turns pro and faces guys that are faster/stronger.

It's the same shit every year. Same worrisome reporting was done with Caufield, Farrell, Struble, Harris, Poehling, Primeau, Evans.

Clickbait reporting. It's nonsense.
I'm sure he is considering it, I Played university athletics and in my last year I played with my brother, it was the last time we played competitive sports together and a great experience. Saying that, I definitely didn't "hang around" for him to come along. It's the undertone that there exploiting right now

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
So if BU loses on the 11th, he can sign and play the final game of the year to burn his ELC.

If they go to the finals, he wouldn't be available for the game against Detroit on the 13th so does he just sign his ELC starting next year, sign an ATO with Laval and be eligible to play out the last two games with them and if they make the playoffs, be playoff eligible?
That would be ideal! NCAA Championship, (hopefully long) Laval playoff run, then hopefully the world championships for the U.S.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021

The final two Habs games are 15th and 16th. Wouldn't he be available for those no matter what happens?

It seems like the most likely scenario for such an heralded young NCAA prospect to get to burn a year off his ELC, even if it means no AHL playoffs.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The final two Habs games are 15th and 16th. Wouldn't he be available for those no matter what happens?

It seems like the most likely scenario for such an heralded young NCAA prospect to get to burn a year off his ELC, even if it means no AHL playoffs.

No, you're right - he'd have a chance to play in those two Detroit games regardless.

Reactions: Rozz

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think he’s in the AHL next year. There’s nothing more for him to learn at NCAA level.

Hopefully you takes this summer to focus on strength training.

It’s time for GOMAD! :laugh: Just kidding on that part.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Lane Hutson has saved some of his best hockey of the season for the end.

In his last 10 games, 4 goals, 9 assists for 13 Points with a +12

If you go back to the second of back to back games against Boston College on January 27th:

17 GP: 5 Goals, 21 Assists, 26 points +22

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Don't even want to think about Hutson walking to UFA. I don't care if it's within his rights, if he does that after we drafted him it would be a huge betrayal of the Habs org. and fans.

Hopefully Dube is full of shit.
Why would you think about it? We will do like we always do. We will let him burn a year and he has no reason to refuse unless he is 120% against playing in Canada which i don't think he is. Burning a year can represent a couple of millions so even considering the taxes it makes no sense to not burn that year and wait.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadienna

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
It's happened before in the NHL. Adam Fox turned his back on Calgary. But Calgary, Winnipeg, Ottawa, and Edmonton, being small Canadian markets, will always have that problem.

But until it happens to us, I won't worry about it. Everything indicates Hutson can't wait to be a Hab.
It happened to Arizona too with Wheeler. It's more a case of small markets than canadian markets probably. We never had this kind of problem. Don't think Toronto did either? We just need to make sure we don't draft any political nut jobs and i don't think Hutson is one.

Reactions: 26Mats

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
It happened to Arizona too with Wheeler. It's more a case of small markets than canadian markets probably. We never had this kind of problem. Don't think Toronto did either? We just need to make sure we don't draft any political nut jobs and i don't think Hutson is one.
With Arizona there are a lot of other problems. I can understand players not wanting to go there until the franchise gets its act together.

There are a few players who really want to play for one team. The Rangers have benefited from guys like Fox and Panarin who really, really want to play there, and the teams those guys were with lost out. Hockey is one of the few jobs where employees really can't choose where they want to live, and I can relate to guys insisting on a city, or a list of cities. Making it clear pre-draft seems like a logical move, though, makes it less of a headache to move later. Sucks for some of the teams/cities, though, but it can work out like Quebec/Colorado with Lindros.

I expect more players are willing to play in Toronto and Montreal, big cities where they get lots of exposure, and both teams presumably avoid drafting players who don't want to be there.

It's still pretty rare for US players not to sign if they get an offer. I haven't heard anything alarming about Hutson that didn't concern size or skating.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I expect more players are willing to play in Toronto and Montreal, big cities where they get lots of exposure, and both teams presumably avoid drafting players who don't want to be there.

It's still pretty rare for US players not to sign if they get an offer. I haven't heard anything alarming about Hutson that didn't concern size or skating.
I'd definitely ask during the interview if the player is open to play in Montreal and would tell him he's free to answer truthfully and that the asnwer wont be shared publicly. The taxes are high in Canada but for a star there can be advantage.

I assume Mathews is making lot more money in Toronto before taxes than he would be in a small american market. So even after the taxes which he pays less of them beign american it's still more money. Pretty sure Matthews would prefer to play in Arizona but money talks.

Reactions: dcyhabs

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I'd definitely ask during the interview if the player is open to play in Montreal and would tell him he's free to answer truthfully and that the asnwer wont be shared publicly. The taxes are high in Canada but for a star there can be advantage.

I assume Mathews is making lot more money in Toronto before taxes than he would be in a small american market. So even after the taxes which he pays less of them beign american it's still more money. Pretty sure Matthews would prefer to play in Arizona but money talks.
He might prefer to play in Arizona if they had a real Arena. Matthews doesn't seem that competitive, but there's a big difference between a meh team and a team in disarray.

I'm sure Hughes has already had the discussion with Hutson. If they aren't aligned neither is talking about it.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Brutal. 2nd year in a row too…
To be fair, don't think he deserves it over his teammate.

Endorsement money is likely much more available in Montreal than American cities where the team is the 3rd watched sport if lucky.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
1712289736237.jpeg

Reactions: Fatbiggie

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

If it was just about money he would prefer to play in a big American market because he would make more money playing there. Canada would not be an option for him and he would not have signed an extension.

Last edited:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I don’t know man, he’s the all time scorer for blueliners and doesn’t get top three in either year?

He is nowhere close to being the all time leading scorer for dmen in the NCAA. Ron Wilson had 250 points including an 87 point season and I don't even know if he is the all time leader.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad