Landeskog hoping to be picked by the Sens

Pyke*

It's a non-factor obviously for the team making the selection.

I suppose its something that the fans can relate to though.

I don't know if it's a non-factor... I mean, we have seen superstars refuse to play for teams before. Additionally, if you're drafting someone you hope will be with your organization long-term, maybe it's a tie breaker.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
It's a non-factor obviously for the team making the selection.

I suppose its something that the fans can relate to though.

Non-factor is a little too strong. For any franchise that has a hard time attracting UFA's, or is not a favourable market....when the sense comes that player you like, may WANT to be picked by you....it's certainly an added bonus. For Ottawa, when that player is lauded as a future Swedish captain....bells ring. You start thinking...this guy could last 20 years here. If he's not the guy you like, it changes nothing. If it's the guy you like, it's reaffirming. Surely.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
McElhinney shut us out a few weeks back. That's how bad we are.

:laugh: Fair enough, but look at the standings + look out for the Panthers. That's one of the worst teams I've seen in recent memory - with the exception of the Sens this year of course.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I don't know if it's a non-factor... I mean, we have seen superstars refuse to play for teams before. Additionally, if you're drafting someone you hope will be with your organization long-term, maybe it's a tie breaker.

It's not so much wanting to play for a certain team but a severe dislike for one!!

Major difference!

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

ESPN Insider generally just re-links freely available articles from local papers: http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/2011/03/06/17518846.html

There’s no name or jersey number stitched into the white Ottawa Senators sweater hanging on Gabriel Landeskog’s bedroom wall back in Stockholm.

That could soon change.

The top-ranked North American prospect heading into this summer’s NHL entry draft said it would be “something special” to be selected by the Senators, the team he’s been rooting for since catching his first NHL game at the former Corel Centre while visiting at age 11, when he competed in the Bell Capital Cup.

“It was great for me coming over here for the first time (as a youngster), and it was a great experience for me. I saw my first NHL games, and my Dad bought me a Sens jersey and Daniel Alfredsson signed it, so it was really special for me.”

How special would it be for Landeskog to have the Senators’ captain present him another jersey — this time with his name stitched on the back — at this year’s NHL draft, as Alfredsson did for fellow Swede Erik Karlsson two years ago?

“It would be something special, but you never know what’s going to happen here. I don’t want to get ahead of myself too much, but it would be a tremendous honour,” said Landeskog.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Yikes I hope he doesn't get too upset if the Sens pass on him

Dutch Dreams

Sep 20, 2009
All this talk of Spezza and I wonder why Ottawa would pick another Spezza? Spezza is still a young guy. A guy like Alfredsson isn't. Landeskog projects to be that leader scoring winger which Alfredsson is only liable to be a few more years. Spezza can still be himself for another 10 years. Why not complement him? Larsson is great, but Ottawa has a pretty good prospective defense developing, in Cowen, Rundblad, Karlsson and Wiercioch.

Robert604strom

May 31, 2010
Victoria
Well it makes sense,its like all the sweds having big eyes when they see the sedins,or when edler first saw Ohlund. Hopefully the sens can pick him. They have a nice collection of swedish prospects.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
All this talk of Spezza and I wonder why Ottawa would pick another Spezza? Spezza is still a young guy. A guy like Alfredsson isn't. Landeskog projects to be that leader scoring winger which Alfredsson is only liable to be a few more years. Spezza can still be himself for another 10 years. Why not complement him? Larsson is great, but Ottawa has a pretty good prospective defense developing, in Cowen, Rundblad, Karlsson and Wiercioch.

Because it doesn't hurt to have more than one line that can score?

Thablackmen

Mar 5, 2011
If ottawa do has to pick btw RNH, Larsson, Couturier and Landeskog the logical choice would be Landeskog since they already have a #1 center in Jason Spezza.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
If we draft Landeskog + Zibanejad (outside chance...moving up for Strome) that would make a great second line.

(Michalek) or UFA - Spezza - (Butler/Michalek) or UFA
Landeskog - (Strome/Zibanejad) or UFA - Alfredsson

Would be hard to say if Zibanejad could hack the NHL next year though. It seems as though Strome might be able to.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Listening to Bryan Murray yesterday, he said that Landeskog can line up as a C quite well. Not just 'he'll do', but quite well, so that likely chances a lot of the playing field. If they draft Landeskog as a winger period, then I could see them trying to move up to take a C with Nashville's pick + Ottawa's 2nd rounder, maybe even someone like Foligno if he's the piece necessary.

A lot of options for Ottawa. :)

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
If we draft Landeskog + Zibanejad (outside chance...moving up for Strome) that would make a great second line.

(Michalek) or UFA - Spezza - (Butler/Michalek) or UFA
Landeskog - (Strome/Zibanejad) or UFA - Alfredsson

Would be hard to say if Zibanejad could hack the NHL next year though. It seems as though Strome might be able to.

With the exception of Lando, I hope the Sens send any pick back to their respective club. I have a feeling it's gonna be a long year next year :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad