Lance Armstrong to be the next "My Stanley Cup" Narrator

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Another lie from you.
And you're the one lying before (how am I pompous about my knowledge when I'm in fact very modest about it and rightfully so?).
No backtracking, I stand by my beliefs that Armstrong was doped during all his TDF wins (like most of the peloton) and that his arrogance about it is very annoying.
That was my position a year ago and it still is. How am I backtracking?

No need to answer, you have no idea, you think it's much better to insult me (like you just did BTW) with french words to get away with it.
Fine, in any case, this thread is way off topic anyway (probably because of me I know), so let's leave it at that.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
9) Off-Topic Posting: Posts are to be on the topic of the board description where they're posted. Off Topic posts may be moved or closed at the moderators discretion.

Hello? Somehow I don't think the conspiracies and frauds behind the Tour De France has anything to do with someone voicing an NHL commercial, regardless of who is involved.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
I've watched nearly every stage since 97 in the TdF and one thing stands out that makes Armstrond's legacy stand no matter what: He was the most dominant athlete of his generation. OPO (eau, pastis, orgéat ;-), or otherwise, they're all up to the same tricks out there in the peleton).

He dominated (with the undisputable support or US Postal / Discovery) the event with panache, focus, and commitment to winning. Sure, he came across as arrogant in 03-04 because of not giving interviews, and having the bodyguards all around, but things loosened up in 05 when people finally gave into the idea he was the man of the decade on the bicycle.

He got called to task by Hinault for "letting" Pantini win (Val d'Isère I believe), as this is something you DO NOT DO. Cycling is equal parts legs, stamina, tactics, and determination. Armstrong scared the crap out of the rest of the Peleton because he had all 4 - like Orr in his hockey heydey. Imagine a team that got every other to concede 2nd place after game 2 - that was the team lead by Armstrong.

As for the French press - they do some investigative journalism and where there's smoke there probably is fire, but you don't just breeze thru 7 years of controls, blood tests, snooping of your trash bin, and the like, unless you are at least as clean as the others, if not clean pure and simple. Speculation and heresay...hell, they can't even get their story straight on Clearstream (French Watergate)...

Belgian Fan

Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
bb74 said:
(eau, pastis, orgéat ;-)

Hmmmmmmmm... I know I should have pursued a cycling career :D

bb74 said:
He got called to task by Hinault for "letting" Pantini win (Val d'Isère I believe), as this is something you DO NOT DO.

I think the stage you're referring to is the Mon Ventoux, 2000 I believe. That was the one where Pantani himself was also unhappy about the 'gift' he received from Lance - which he gave out of respect by the way

Well getting back on the topic:
Why do they put the names of the voices so small on the screen. You really have to watch to notice the names and I'm not sure I Lance's or some of the other voices would be recognisable enough for the 'big name' to have any effect.

lemieux32*

Evilo said:
Another lie from you.
And you're the one lying before (how am I pompous about my knowledge when I'm in fact very modest about it and rightfully so?).
No backtracking, I stand by my beliefs that Armstrong was doped during all his TDF wins (like most of the peloton) and that his arrogance about it is very annoying.
That was my position a year ago and it still is. How am I backtracking?

No need to answer, you have no idea, you think it's much better to insult me (like you just did BTW) with french words to get away with it.
Fine, in any case, this thread is way off topic anyway (probably because of me I know), so let's leave it at that.

:biglaugh:

I am laughing at you. You got called out and the only thing you can respond with is "I know you are but what am I."

Backtracking? Saying the entire peloton doped and then changing to 80%

Pompous? Take a look at the comments you made in this thread and the other Armstrong one about other peoples knowledge compared to yours. The fact that you are telling people you are modest is further proof.

Lying? Like when you took what I said about my pro cyclist friends and turned it into just two in that thread? How about this "concrete proof" you insist on, but never show...because it doesn't exist.

I am laughing at you...like anyone with any knowledge of cycling is...or anyone who can read. (still no comment on your spouting off about the Simeoni case while not knowing it was already over with no guilt?)
:biglaugh:

Run along angry little Frenchman, I am through with you.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Belgian Fan said:
First of all you have to keep in mind that the French haven't won the Tour de France since Fignon did it back in 1985. Since then their have been three victories by American Greg Lemond, five by Spaniard Miguel Indurain and a bunch of others have also won it. So saying that Lance is the first guy to school the french is pretty much wrong

I never said Lance Armstrong was the first to "school" France at the Tour. maybe I should have worded it differant. My point is that this is all sour grapes by the French. This is their big bike race, the best and biggest in the world and they are getting frustrated that none of their countrymen have been able to win the thing in over 20 years which you pointed out.
I think its just narrow minded way of thinking by the French press that someone can come over from another country and dominate the race the way he has without cheating.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
ClarkeMustGoDotCom said:
Ya gotta love it. A non frenchman goes over to France and schools the world for 7 straight years and suddenly the papers in France claim he is a cheater.
which begs the question. Do they put sour grapes in their whine in france?

I think it just means the French need to change dealers. Maybe they should try BALCO, I've heard they are good. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

lemieux32*

me2 said:
I think it just means the French need to change dealers. Maybe they should try BALCO, I've heard they are good. :sarcasm:

No, no, no, the French riders don't dope...just ask them. The peloton is at "two speeds" according to some French riders and DS of French teams and the poor French are the ones not doping...according to themselves.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
I'd be interested in what people have to say after the most recent media announcement regarding Lance's alleged doping.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Sorry, I found several discussions about the announcement elsewhere. I thought it would have touched this thread, but I've found lots of other reading elsewhere. ;)

thenextone

Mar 19, 2005
New York City
Stevedude530 said:
“No one remembers who came in second. There is no immortality for second best. No champagne bath . . . No engraving. Just a lonely walk down a quiet hall and the silence can break your heart.â€

Thornton, Staal, Selanne and McDonald will be in this one.

http://www.brandweek.com/bw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002500756

That looks better.

No way should Sakic, Brodeur and Niedermayer be in a commercial talking about losing the big game

Fugu

Hmmmm....

This just came up in the news on 31 May, 2006, exonerating Lance of the 1999 charges by an independent Dutch investigator appointed by cycling's governing body [with some pretty harsh words for the handling of the matter by the French]. Read it here.

Nevertheless, in spite of the following comment from the investigator about the handling of the urine tests by the French national anti-doping laboratory, the French paper that first made the charges public refused to retract their position:

It said tests on the urine samples were conducted improperly and fell so short of scientific standards that it was “completely irresponsible†to suggest they “constitute evidence of anythingâ€.

Perhaps a bit of evidence of French bias and the lengths some will go to to discredit a champion not of their choosing? :biglaugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

jaydub*

Fugu said:
Hmmmm....

This just came up in the news on 31 May, 2006, exonerating Lance of the 1999 charges by an independent Dutch investigator appointed by cycling's governing body [with some pretty harsh words for the handling of the matter by the French]. Read it here.

Nevertheless, in spite of the following comment from the investigator about the handling of the urine tests by the French national anti-doping laboratory, the French paper that first made the charges public refused to retract their position:

Perhaps a bit of evidence of French bias and the lenghts some will go to to discredit a champion not of their choosing? :biglaugh:

The guy is constantly tested and investigated for 7-8 years and NOTHING has come up showing he doped. But the french insist he did. Just admit that he is better than you Frenchmen, and move on to whining about something else you aren't important in or good at anymore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad