Lance Armstrong to be the next "My Stanley Cup" Narrator

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
They should hired MacGyver (Richard Dean Anderson) he is a huge Flames and hockey fan

MacGyver could save the world with a puck, some string and gum

bictron

Jul 31, 2005
Tracy, CA
Complaining Customer said:
http://www.nhl.com/video/app?servic...00.html&media=/comp/ad/mystanley_fear_300.asx

Not sure if the video had been seen... well, I think Armstrong, doping or not, was a pretty good choice for publicity matters, but his narration isn't really good.

Oh, and I like the fact they edit those conforming to how the playoffs unfold... (and how it ends on Sakic, who's now out... no one remembers... ahah, irony)

Kudos on the NHL getting a guy like Lance Armstrong. Lots of positive around it, but the narration was really weak. I listened to it and didn't feel it. Compared to Dennis Leary and Kiefer Sutherland, it doesn't even compare. Whether or not he's a diehard fan, he didn't have a good commercial.

Same with Howie Mandel. I love the guy, but horrible commercial for him.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I liked this one but I think it had more to do with the footage and the content of the spoken section than the actual narration. The shot of Selanne right at the end was really good.

Belgian Fan

Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
Epsilon said:
By the way, anyone who says that Armstrong isn't arrogant or a jerk couldn't be more wrong. This is what makes him a great cyclist. Nice guys almost never become legends in cycling; most of the all-time greats (Merckx, Hinault, Armstrong, Anquetil, etc.) were first-rate jerkoffs.

I would still rate Anquetil #1 for being a jerk. I think Merckx and Indurain were the most regular guys in that pack of elite TDF guys. In fact while Mercxk was the cannibal I don't think he was really that disliked in the peloton. And Indurain was just so low profile (and without panache - but that's another issue) that nobody cared. I also think Coppi was well liked but I've never read much about him so I can't tell for sure.

But yeah, when a guy like Armstrong has nothing better to do then chase down Filippo Simeoni... :shakehead

My jerk rating:
#1 Anquetil
#2 Armstrong
#3 Hinault
#4 Merckx
#5 Indurain

The strangest is though that while Hinault and esp. Merckx have completely lost most of their non-likeable qualities it seems Armstrong still has them. Probably due to the doping issues and the press constantly asking those same questions.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Evilo said:
Not really.
Let's just say I hate cheaters that are arrogant, that threaten other athletes and insults a nation because of one newspaper that found out the truth about him.

Ya gotta love it. A non frenchman goes over to France and schools the world for 7 straight years and suddenly the papers in France claim he is a cheater.
which begs the question. Do they put sour grapes in their whine in france?

Belgian Fan

Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
ClarkeMustGoDotCom said:
Ya gotta love it. A non frenchman goes over to France and schools the world for 7 straight years and suddenly the papers in France claim he is a cheater.
which begs the question. Do they put sour grapes in their whine in france?

That's a pretty simplistic way of putting things. This debate is not helped by these remarks without any decent form of research or knowledge on the sport (remarks from either side of the debate that is by the way, I don't want to single anyone out).

First of all you have to keep in mind that the French haven't won the Tour de France since Fignon did it back in 1985. Since then their have been three victories by American Greg Lemond, five by Spaniard Miguel Indurain and a bunch of others have also won it. So saying that Lance is the first guy to school the french is pretty much wrong

The level of scrutiny these past winners are under tends to flow. For instance the Riis victory in 1996 is pretty much general knowledge to have come under doping circumstances (he won it with a hematocrite of 64, right now riders are banned from starting races if they have more then 50 as it is a possible indication of EPO use).

Lance has also come under a lot of scrutiny while for instance it stays pretty quiet around Miguel Indurain. Which is rather strange since he dominated in THE period of doping abuse in the peloton.

All in all for my money Lance was on the gas to but so were the others so for me it doesn't diminish the fact he is an all time great in cycling (not really close to Merckx obviously but then again that's impossible). What he achieved commends tremendous respect.

That is but my personal opinion on the matter though and more and more it is becoming backed up by facts. For instance I will cite the tests which appeared last year - though not necessarily valid proof in a court of law they really are serious circumstancial evidence for me. There are other circumstancial elements like his long lasting relationship with preparatore Dr. Ferrari in Italy.

But I can perfectly live with people stating the opposite as long as they don't simply yell slogans and call everyone who 'suspects' Lance as anti-american (which IMO you seemed to imply in your post).

lemieux32*

A few comments:

A) Who says Lance is not a hockey fan?

B) You have to realize that Evilo despises Lance, and will say anything and believe anything negative about Armstrong. He has claimed in the past things like "proof is irrefutable" but danced around the lack of a chain of custody. Claimed 100% of the peloton dopes and then when asked for proof went to 80% and then just threw insults. You would also think someone who acts so pompous about his cycling knowledge would know that the Simeoni lawsuit is gone without Armstrong getting in any trouble.

c) Lance is arrogant...like every other successfull pro athlete. You have to be. Does he show it more then some others? Yes. Does it make him a horrible person? No, and you can find a lot of people who will have nothing but great things to say about him as a person.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
lemieux32 said:
B) You have to realize that Evilo despises Lance, and will say anything and believe anything negative about Armstrong. He has claimed in the past things like "proof is irrefutable" but danced around the lack of a chain of custody. Claimed 100% of the peloton dopes and then when asked for proof went to 80% and then just threw insults. You would also think someone who acts so pompous about his cycling knowledge would know that the Simeoni lawsuit is gone without Armstrong getting in any trouble.
There are about five wrong statements in this quote.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Belgian Fan said:
Lance has also come under a lot of scrutiny while for instance it stays pretty quiet around Miguel Indurain. Which is rather strange since he dominated in THE period of doping abuse in the peloton

I think it has to do with the facts that:

1. Indurain has almost disappeared from the public eye since he retired.

2. He was a very quiet winner when he was dominating. He'd just go out there, cycle conservatively, dominate the time trials like no other, and win. None of the feuding with other riders, high profile mountain stage wins, and other things that draw attention.

lemieux32*

Epsilon said:
I think it has to do with the facts that:

1. Indurain has almost disappeared from the public eye since he retired.

2. He was a very quiet winner when he was dominating. He'd just go out there, cycle conservatively, dominate the time trials like no other, and win. None of the feuding with other riders, high profile mountain stage wins, and other things that draw attention.

A lot of it has to do with Lance being American (I have heard this from the various Euro and US based pros I know, not all of whom are American and on an international cycling forum) and the fact he survived cancer. It's very well known that many people felt he was doping when he came back to racing and started riding well again because in Europe they felt it was impossible.

Belgian Fan

Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
lemieux32 said:
A lot of it has to do with Lance being American (I have heard this from the various Euro and US based pros I know, not all of whom are American and on an international cycling forum) and the fact he survived cancer. It's very well known that many people felt he was doping when he came back to racing and started riding well again because in Europe they felt it was impossible.

I think that's correct to a large extent (the cancer issue). Which still doesn't mean he did or did not use illegal substances of course.
Also the way he transformed after his battle with cancer (from a classic rider who's career would likely have been focused around the Ardennes classics and the august classics to a climber who's career was focused around the Tour).
Like it has been said, the cancer really was a fresh start for him, before he was not always a model professional, after it I don't think there were many guys who trained harder then Lance.

As for him being American: I don't recall any negative feelings about Lemond (who had a similar come-back story) or guys like Hampsten or other good American cyclists back in the days.
And right now I think there is not really any extra anymosity towards people like George Hincapie, Bobby Julich or Tom Danielson.

I think personally that it was the cancer and the domination. People who donminate like Lance will always be subject to more scrutiny. Just look at how Merckx was treated by a French fan :rant: (I will not generalise of course). As Evilo rightfully pointed out Indurain did dominate in a different manner.

By the way which pros do you know?

Belgian Fan

Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
Just forgot to add, there will always be animosity towards Steve Bauer though (Canadian of course, not an American), but that's only from me personally for him riding Claude Criquelion into the boards when he was on his way to winning the World Chamship in Ronse 1988.

I was only 6 years at the time but I will always remember this image of Claude crossing the line after Fondriest had gone on to win. One of those things I'll never forget in my lifetime...

http://www.gva.be/dossiers/-w/wkzolder/img/wkbcruiq.jpg

lemieux32*

Belgian Fan said:
Just forgot to add, there will always be animosity towards Steve Bauer though (Canadian of course, not an American), but that's only from me personally for him riding Claude Criquelion into the boards when he was on his way to winning the World Chamship in Ronse 1988.

I was only 6 years at the time but I will always remember this image of Claude crossing the line after Fondriest had gone on to win. One of those things I'll never forget in my lifetime...

http://www.gva.be/dossiers/-w/wkzolder/img/wkbcruiq.jpg

Criquelion should have learned how to ride a sprint! ;)

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
lemieux32 said:
Let's see them.
1- "will say anything and believe anything negative about Armstrong"
-> Not until I have overwhelming evidence, evidence that can be found on the site given above.
2- "He has claimed in the past things like "proof is irrefutable" but danced around the lack of a chain of custody"
-> When we're talking about the prime lab for doping research, I think we can avoid things like the simple chain of custody to discredit a very clear proof.
3- "Claimed 100% of the peloton dopes"
-> I didn't, and if I did, it was more of a tongue in cheek expression than a statement.
4- "then just threw insults."
-> Never did.
5- "You would also think someone who acts so pompous about his cycling knowledge"
-> Not the case. Cycling is if few interest to me. Just ask BF and others cyclists fan, I don't claim any knowledge. I follow the TDF mainly, but I'm very interested in doping cases.

There you go.

lemieux32*

Evilo said:
1- "will say anything and believe anything negative about Armstrong"
-> Not until I have overwhelming evidence, evidence that can be found on the site given above.
2- "He has claimed in the past things like "proof is irrefutable" but danced around the lack of a chain of custody"
-> When we're talking about the prime lab for doping research, I think we can avoid things like the simple chain of custody to discredit a very clear proof.
3- "Claimed 100% of the peloton dopes"
-> I didn't, and if I did, it was more of a tongue in cheek expression than a statement.
4- "then just threw insults."
-> Never did.
5- "You would also think someone who acts so pompous about his cycling knowledge"
-> Not the case. Cycling is if few interest to me. Just ask BF and others cyclists fan, I don't claim any knowledge. I follow the TDF mainly, but I'm very interested in doping cases.

There you go.

:biglaugh:

1) Sorry but sue to the chain of custody issues there is no "overwhelming evidence" much less anything that would stand up in a court of law.

2) Sorry, but chain of custody is one of the most important things a lab must maintain and this lab has yet to offer anything saying they maintained the CofC despite numerous people questioning it.

3) I love it, "I didn't...and in case I did" covering your butt? What a joke.

4) Interesting fantasy world you live in. I suppose you were also a straight A student, extremely wealthy and married to a super model.

5) So you admit to talking out of your butt aqnd not knowing anything of which you speak? If you are so interested I would think you would have known the result of that case.

Alas, once again, Evilo, talks a lot and says nothing of substance. Perhaps you can take a que from BelgianFan who obviously has some knowledge of the sport and intelligence enough to see what truly happens and discuss it.

Don't bother responding as I will only be laughing at you. :biglaugh:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
lemieux32 said:
:biglaugh:

1) Sorry but sue to the chain of custody issues there is no "overwhelming evidence" much less anything that would stand up in a court of law.

2) Sorry, but chain of custody is one of the most important things a lab must maintain and this lab has yet to offer anything saying they maintained the CofC despite numerous people questioning it.

3) I love it, "I didn't...and in case I did" covering your butt? What a joke.

4) Interesting fantasy world you live in. I suppose you were also a straight A student, extremely wealthy and married to a super model.

5) So you admit to talking out of your butt aqnd not knowing anything of which you speak? If you are so interested I would think you would have known the result of that case.

Alas, once again, Evilo, talks a lot and says nothing of substance. Perhaps you can take a que from BelgianFan who obviously has some knowledge of the sport and intelligence enough to see what truly happens and discuss it.

Don't bother responding as I will only be laughing at you. :biglaugh:

1 and 2 - You think the leading lab against doping has problems with the chain of custody? :biglaugh:
3- Nope. Simple truth.
4- Link me to an insult I gave then.
5- There's a difference between being a cyclist expert (which I never claimed to be, contrary to what you're invented yet again) and being in full knowledge of the Armstrong doping case.

Weird you're the one making things up and lying, and yet you accuse me of living in a fantasy world. :huh:

Belgian Fan

Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
I will agree with Evilo on point 5, he usually does have interesting links to back up claims about doping cases.

So much of all that is going on in shady circumstances so it's tough to have definite proof either way. Just think of what happened to Cristophe Brandt last year.

By the way lemieux32 you're always welcome in our cycling thread (as is Evilo of course but he knows that :))

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=227252

lemieux32*

Belgian, I would love to. I will check it out later.

Evilo, there is so much merde coming out of your keyboard it's unreal. Backtracking, lying, etc. Please just runaway or close the thread, like the last time you spouted this kind of BS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad