TSN: Lamoriello on Leafs' captaincy, expansion draft and managing expectations

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
well does anyone have full autonomy? Seriously? like - spoiler alert this is going to be a debate topic sooner or later - but everyone makes it out like oh me oh my, no one in Toronto could do anything. well. that's bull. you always have to answer to someone and you probably have limits to what you can do.

JFJ had the ability to do whatever he wanted - except to strip the team bare. MOST teams GMs have the right to do whatever they want - except to strip the team bare. if they are allowed to do it you have to convince if not a Board (Toronto) the major stake holder/owner of the team. Like. do you think that GM in WSH can just trade Ovechkin? Do you think that Bergevin could JUST trade off Subban? Do you think that Hextall (and Holmgren before him) could do whatever they want and the late Mr. Snyder was like yah whatever? No. You have to convince them. (and for people like Snyder who flat out said there was no *$&! way they are rebuilding" and "GO get me a #*!& Goalie." there are limits what you can/need to do. but that doesn't mean you can't do what you need to do properly).

I always think using full autonomy/lack their off is a big ole crutch. it doesn't stop you from signing properly, drafting properly, and making trades properly. sure you can't do what you think is best but it doesn't give you the right to make stupid decisions. JFJ couldn't convince those above him to rebuild. Okay. that sucks.

it doesn't change the fact that he made the stupidest decisions ever (NMC's to everyone, signing slow players, overpaying for talent) but he did draft well so it somewhat balanced out. I'd argue it's the exact same thing in Vancouver. Benning is stupid in regards to like. 98% of the things he has to do - but he DOES draft relatively well (minus Passing on Nylander. thank you Jim Benning).

Lou can't just do whatever he wants to do. (neither will the Future GM). if it doesn't align to what Shanahan wants. BUT he has full autonomy to do whatever needs to be done in Shanahan's vision. it really isn't that complicated.
I remember Brian Burke said he had full autonomy and if we are lead to believe that was true, did he not need approval for making the Kessel trade? I bring that up when you see him trading away two 1st round picks.

I agree that Lou can do what he wants if it Shanahan believes it's the right deal. For years in New Jersey he was the boss since he was both President and GM. However in Toronto Shanahan has that role of President, so maybe for the first time Lou is only a GM and nothing more. Basically if he didn't believe in the process Shanahan talked about he would not be here today.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
They're not going to put Bozak on tje fourth line. They'll trade him before that happens.

Why wouldn't they put Bozak on the 4th line? This isn't the 1990's when the 4th line means Derian Hatcher + Marty McSorley + Donald Brashear.

Lamoriello isn't going to do anything unless it's a good move for the team. If nobody is offering reasonable compensation for Bozak why wouldn't you put him on the 4th line.

Especially going into a contract year. You can use that demotion as leverage to support signing him for way less.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Why wouldn't they put Bozak on the 4th line? This isn't the 1990's when the 4th line means Derian Hatcher + Marty McSorley + Donald Brashear.

Lamoriello isn't going to do anything unless it's a good move for the team. If nobody is offering reasonable compensation for Bozak why wouldn't you put him on the 4th line.

Especially going into a contract year. You can use that demotion as leverage to support signing him for way less.
You completely misunderstood me. Bozak makes too much money to be on the fourth line and isn't suited for that role. He also doesn't deserve the demotion and you certainly couldn't use it as leverage when the guy has been a top center for your team for years now. And Hatcher was a dman...and Mcsorley actually played all over the lineup.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
You completely misunderstood me. Bozak makes too much money to be on the fourth line and isn't suited for that role. He also doesn't deserve the demotion and you certainly couldn't use it as leverage when the guy has been a top center for your team for years now. And Hatcher was a dman...and Mcsorley actually played all over the lineup.
Yeah, I can't see that happening. Instead, I can see Nylander as Bozak's left-winger instead. Offside, he's able to play more like a playmaking center and share face-off duties.

That's be good for development imo.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Babcock has already said Nylander is a winger this season

What's he going to say nylander is a center? He opens up kadri and bozak trade discussion if he does. What happens when they can't trade one them.

Much easier to deny nylander as a center initially, and then say well we needed this asset and we lost a good player if they do trade one of them and confirm Nylander is now a center who proved he can play that spot for his country and is still developing as a center in the NHL.

_______ Matthews Kapanen (can do what Hyman does but more skilled)
JVR Nylander Marner
Komarov Kadri Brown
Martin Boyle Hyman
Soshnikov Rychel Gauthier

Reilly ________
Dermott Zaitsev
Hunwick Carrick
Marincin Marchenko

Andersen
________

Fehr Liepsic Leivo Bozak Gardiner open for trades imo.

You don't say Mcbackup or someone else if mcbackup is your guy. Chances are they go for a guy like Nilsson and mcbackup is plan b.

Last edited:

Unhealthy Scratch

Auston 4:16
Mar 15, 2016
How is Kapanen a bottom six anything?
Why wouldn't they put Bozak on the 4th line?
wth.gif

Last edited:

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
What's he going to say nylander is a center? He opens up kadri and bozak trade discussion if he does. What happens when they can't trade one them.

Much easier to deny nylander as a center initially, and then say well we needed this asset and we lost a good player if they do trade one of them and confirm Nylander is now a center who proved he can play that spot for his country and is still developing as a center in the NHL.

_______ Matthews Kapanen (can do what Hyman does but more skilled)
JVR Nylander Marner
Komarov Kadri Brown
Martin Boyle Hyman
Soshnikov Rychel Gauthier

Reilly ________
Dermott Zaitsev
Hunwick Carrick
Marincin Marchenko

Andersen
________

Fehr Liepsic Leivo Bozak Gardiner open for trades imo.

You don't say Mcbackup or someone else if mcbackup is your guy. Chances are they go for a guy like Nilsson and mcbackup is plan b.

I don't want these 2 anywhere near this team Marincin Marchenko .
Dermott not close to ready for 2nd pair defense pairing
No Gardiner...WHAT???
Your suggestions for the D above would be a step backwards from this season and totally unaceptable. Team needs to resign Hunwick and Polak and add from there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad