TSN: Lamoriello on Leafs' captaincy, expansion draft and managing expectations

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
With Kapanen, Soshnikov, Leivo, Leipsic and Rychel all knocking on the door for bottom six winger spots, you'd think there has to be some movement coming. Several of them will be waiver-eligible as of next season, so even if Vegas walks off with one of them in the expansion draft, some decisions will likely have to be made whether it's packaging one of them in a deal or creating some roster flexibility by moving JVR or (less likely) Komarov, or (even less likely) Martin.

How is Kapanen a bottom six anything? The only reason he was placed on the 4th line is because he was late to the show and Babcock felt there was already some established chemistry throughout the lineup but Kapanen was too good not to play so he bumped off a 4th liner.

Since we're expecting Nylander to move over to centre this season, we will probably see Kapanen as his wing man. Along with Marner.

Moves Bozak to 4C. JVR goes to the Matthews line.

Could see us rolling something like:

SC1
Hyman - Matthews - van Riemsdyk
SC2
Marner - Nylander - Kapanen
CHK1
Komarov (Leipsic) - Kadri - Brown
CHK2
Martin - Bozak - Boyle

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
How is Kapanen a bottom six anything? The only reason he was placed on the 4th line is because he was late to the show and Babcock felt there was already some established chemistry throughout the lineup but Kapanen was too good not to play so he bumped off a 4th liner.

Since we're expecting Nylander to move over to centre this season, we will probably see Kapanen as his wing man. Along with Marner.

SC1
SC2
CHK1
CHK2
Martin - Bozak - Boyle

They're not going to put Bozak on tje fourth line. They'll trade him before that happens.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
People hated JFJ because he said nothing and was totally incompetent at his job.

Lou says nothing and gets stuff done. Thats the difference.

That's pretty early to say that he "gets stuff done", at least while he's been with the Leafs. One significant trade with picks... The rest were pretty much depth/cap moves for the most part. The big test is how you take the next step and we'll see how he gets stuff done to achieve that.

I just thought it was funny that people made fun of JFJ for being very vague and not divulging information but can't wait to praise Lamoriello for doing the same. That's all.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
People hated JFJ because he said nothing and was totally incompetent at his job.

Lou says nothing and gets stuff done. Thats the difference.

pretty much

it was also the "i can neither confirm nor deny" line that he constantly spewed

I'd say Peddie was incompetent. JFJ was just his puppet.

JFJ was hired to keep a 100 pt team at the same level and to try to put them over the top , he said no one interfered with his day to day operation of the team under the guidelines of the mandate he had .

he wasn't a bad guy but he was in over his head

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
That's pretty early to say that he "gets stuff done", at least while he's been with the Leafs. One significant trade with picks... The rest were pretty much depth/cap moves for the most part. The big test is how you take the next step and we'll see how he gets stuff done to achieve that.

I just thought it was funny that people made fun of JFJ for being very vague and not divulging information but can't wait to praise Lamoriello for doing the same. That's all.

If you exclude the three cups in NJ and drafting and trading for multiple HOFer's, I would agree its too early to draw an opinion on Lou.... :facepalm:

JFJ was an idiot, Lou is a hockey god.

Raycroft trade? Nolan trade? Toskala trade? Would all be good reasons to despise the "work" JFJ did while in Toronto.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

Don't you think it might have something to do with everyone seeing the complete opposite end of the spectrum with Burke and it not going well at all? I mean in the end I don't think it really correlates to anything significant but practically speaking it makes more sense to keep things close. JFJ might have kept things close but then he went out and made really bad moves.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
They're not going to put Bozak on tje fourth line. They'll trade him before that happens.
I can see him remain as a depth scoring solution while Nylander continues to be a trigger man on Matthews line. What's probably more likely are the Leafs finding a left-handed, left winger to maximize access to the ring surface.

We're not having Hyman play Ovechkin without the skill. He's going to have to play on the right side especially now that our opponents will key in our inability to protect on the left wing.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If you exclude the three cups in NJ and drafting and trading for multiple HOFer's, I would agree its too early to draw an opinion on Lou.... :facepalm:

JFJ was an idiot, Lou is a hockey god.

Raycroft trade? Nolan trade? Toskala trade? Would all be good reasons to despise the "work" JFJ did while in Toronto.
The Nolan trade was made by Pat Quinn when he was still the GM. JFJ was hired as GM the following season.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Don't you think it might have something to do with everyone seeing the complete opposite end of the spectrum with Burke and it not going well at all? I mean in the end I don't think it really correlates to anything significant but practically speaking it makes more sense to keep things close. JFJ might have kept things close but then he went out and made really bad moves.

It was just an observation, not really even mentioning their body of work.

It's not like Lamoriello has made amazing moves in the last decade or so of being a GM. His last few years with the Devils were pretty bad specifically.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
It was just an observation, not really even mentioning their body of work.

It's not like Lamoriello has made amazing moves in the last decade or so of being a GM. His last few years with the Devils were pretty bad specifically.

Personally it isn't even so much Lou that I have faith in, it is the team assembled around him by Shannahan that I think is the key and what seems to be the biggest difference to the way things were in New Jersey. My take is that Dubas,Hunter,Pridham etc. do most of the heavy lifting behind the scenes and Lou is the one with the experience and connections around the league. I wasn't a fan of Lou with the Devils near the end but everyone seems to have bought into the way this team is run and that is the exciting part.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006

It's how fans in general are, unfortunately. When Lou leaves and someone else comes in, Leaf fans will rationalize how Lou leaving is great and the new guy is the perfect fit. Pretty sure something similar is happening with Dubas... and we saw the same thing happen when Burke was the god incarnate.

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
Personally it isn't even so much Lou that I have faith in, it is the team assembled around him by Shannahan that I think is the key and what seems to be the biggest difference to the way things were in New Jersey. My take is that Dubas,Hunter,Pridham etc. do most of the heavy lifting behind the scenes and Lou is the one with the experience and connections around the league. I wasn't a fan of Lou with the Devils near the end but everyone seems to have bought into the way this team is run and that is the exciting part.

Precisely, QFT.

Legendary

Sep 1, 2016

This is all that matters now. Good times ahead.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

SC1
SC2
CHK1
CHK2
Martin - Bozak - Boyle

Babcock has already said Nylander is a winger this season

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
JFJ was bad

However, I sympathize with him because every move he had to make went to the board of directors. It wasn't the greatest business environment when you have shareholders micro-managing hockey operations.

I'm pretty sure a couple trades went to a vote lmao like what a terrible work atmosphere for a GM

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls

LL is just a face - the management is very collaborative. You'd be a fool to think he's the only one whose authorizes moves.

Great presence around the franchise - Hunter/Shanny/Babcock call the shots IMO

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

why wouldn't anyone have faith LL ?

He had a HOF career in NJ that spanned 3 decades and every GM is reliant to a certain degree on the staff working under them . LL's biggest fault that i can see was he should have replaced Conte when the prospect pipeline dried up .

JFJ was bad

However, I sympathize with him because every move he had to make went to the board of directors. It wasn't the greatest business environment when you have shareholders micro-managing hockey operations.

I'm pretty sure a couple trades went to a vote lmao like what a terrible work atmosphere for a GM

JFJ was given a mandate and as per his own words he was given full autonomy under the conditions he was hired .

when he failed in his original task he asked to do a full rebuild which was denied and then he was replaced because upper mgmt didn't have faith in him

LL is just a face - the management is very collaborative. You'd be a fool to think he's the only one whose authorizes moves.

Great presence around the franchise - Hunter/Shanny/Babcock call the shots IMO

every mgmt team is collaborative but if you think LL is just some puppet your the fool

LL wouldn't have come here to be just the face of the mgmt team , he doesn't need the money and he would have just stayed in NJ if he doesn't have a certain amount of authority .

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
why wouldn't anyone have faith LL ?

He had a HOF career in NJ that spanned 3 decades and every GM is reliant to a certain degree on the staff working under them . LL's biggest fault that i can see was he should have replaced Conte when the prospect pipeline dried up .

Most people will point out was because they were heading towards where they are now, and the Kolvachuk contract.

JFJ was given a mandate and as per his own words he was given full autonomy under the conditions he was hired .

when he failed in his original task he asked to do a full rebuild which was denied and then he was replaced because upper mgmt didn't have faith in him

Pretty much.

every mgmt team is collaborative but if you think LL is just some puppet your the fool

LL wouldn't have come here to be just the face of the mgmt team , he doesn't need the money and he would have just stayed in NJ if he doesn't have a certain amount of authority .

that's the thing. I don't know why people would think that Lou is the puppet here.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If anybody really wants to think JFJ had full autonomy as a normal GM, PM me, I've got some magical beans for sale.

He was still lousy at his job other than scouting.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Most people will point out was because they were heading towards where they are now, and the Kolvachuk contract.

To a degree maybe but he did make the finals in 2012 . However after 3 decades the organization looked stale and probably needed to be rebuilt so it'd be hard for anyone who's had relationships that long to make wholesale changes .

that's the thing. I don't know why people would think that Lou is the puppet here.

who knows why some people believe that , maybe they're setting it up to give the lion's share of the credit for our success (hopefully) to his replacement if we hire internally after LL leaves

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
If anybody really wants to think JFJ had full autonomy as a normal GM, PM me, I've got some magical beans for sale.

He was still lousy at his job other than scouting.

i believe it was in the same article where people endlessly quoted him saying he was denied permission to rebuild he also said no one interfered with his day to day operation of the team

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
well does anyone have full autonomy? Seriously? like - spoiler alert this is going to be a debate topic sooner or later - but everyone makes it out like oh me oh my, no one in Toronto could do anything. well. that's bull. you always have to answer to someone and you probably have limits to what you can do.

JFJ had the ability to do whatever he wanted - except to strip the team bare. MOST teams GMs have the right to do whatever they want - except to strip the team bare. if they are allowed to do it you have to convince if not a Board (Toronto) the major stake holder/owner of the team. Like. do you think that GM in WSH can just trade Ovechkin? Do you think that Bergevin could JUST trade off Subban? Do you think that Hextall (and Holmgren before him) could do whatever they want and the late Mr. Snyder was like yah whatever? No. You have to convince them. (and for people like Snyder who flat out said there was no *$&! way they are rebuilding" and "GO get me a #*!& Goalie." there are limits what you can/need to do. but that doesn't mean you can't do what you need to do properly).

I always think using full autonomy/lack their off is a big ole crutch. it doesn't stop you from signing properly, drafting properly, and making trades properly. sure you can't do what you think is best but it doesn't give you the right to make stupid decisions. JFJ couldn't convince those above him to rebuild. Okay. that sucks.

it doesn't change the fact that he made the stupidest decisions ever (NMC's to everyone, signing slow players, overpaying for talent) but he did draft well so it somewhat balanced out. I'd argue it's the exact same thing in Vancouver. Benning is stupid in regards to like. 98% of the things he has to do - but he DOES draft relatively well (minus Passing on Nylander. thank you Jim Benning).

Lou can't just do whatever he wants to do. (neither will the Future GM). if it doesn't align to what Shanahan wants. BUT he has full autonomy to do whatever needs to be done in Shanahan's vision. it really isn't that complicated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad