TSN: Lamoriello on Leafs' captaincy, expansion draft and managing expectations

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Are you referring to when Friedman asked Lou " You mentioned before that you never know what player might become available because of the expansion draft, someone who would never be available but is now because of the draft?

Lou smirked and stumbled a bit and gave a safe answer... that smirk said way more than anything Lou verbally said. My spidey sense is tingling.... Lou has a deal brewing for a player he covets .

Ya, I think what he doesn't say is also revealing. Hope this scenario plays out. The interview also stated that most of the teams are looking for a defender. Hopefully its easy as we portray here in our forum.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Theres a big difference between saying nothing because you know nothing, and saying nothing because it would screw with your plans.

"Loose Lips Sink Ships"

See previous management for example to confirm this. ;)

Matthews will not be named captain until Shana-management feels he is ready and fans will find out at the press conference announcement when its made official. That is the way it should be as otherwise Matthews will be hounded endlessly with questions as would anyone else in management also.

As far as trades go, you're correct by telling you plans prior you weaken your own hand and position. Like a good poker player Lou has no real tells and keeps his hand private.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Are you referring to when Friedman asked Lou " You mentioned before that you never know what player might become available because of the expansion draft, someone who would never be available but is now because of the draft?

Lou smirked and stumbled a bit and gave a safe answer... that smirk said way more than anything Lou verbally said. My spidey sense is tingling.... Lou has a deal brewing for a player he covets .

To me the smirk indicated that Lou found it amusing that Friedman would ask that and actually expect an answer.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
To me the smirk indicated that Lou found it amusing that Friedman would ask that and actually expect an answer.

that's how i took it. like a "Seriously? "
it's sort of like people think Lou's going to go. "well ACTUALLY..." and spill the cookies.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
I hope Lou is like this in his day to day life. I can just imagine getting him as a customer in a drive through.

"What'll you have today?"

"Well, this menu has a lot of things, a lot of good things that I'm looking into, but that's something that I keep private until we've reached a decision. What I can tell you is that it needs to make sense for me, the price has to be right."

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Not really surprised their not naming Matthews captain. They wouldn't even let him talk to the media between periods etc last year -- they won't throw him to the sharks so quick. They'll up his media availability next year, and give him the C next summer. I don't see a rush.

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
Lou plays things very close to the vest so you;re not going to get any real "new" information when you listen to him being interviewed.

There is nothing wrong with this, particularly in a market like TO where anything said becomes instant headlines and scrutinized to death.

Lou is not going to give away any trade secrets and Fans will find out after management has decided or acted.
I remember the year Burke got in front of the media right after the season ended for us and said we're going to start doing everything we can to get Tavares....and the entire next 2 months was all about that.
Total circus. Even though the things he blabbed were so far fetched, it still felt disappointing when they didn't turn out. Much prefer how Lou conducts himself.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Less offense next year?

How many rookies becoming sophomores next year? Im not expecting Mathews to score 40 next year either. Expect a ten percent drop in offense next year as we clearly over achieved, will Kadri get over 32 again,no! But we can improve our defense and Lou knows it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
How many rookies becoming sophomores next year? Im not expecting Mathews to score 40 next year either. Expect a ten percent drop in offense next year as we clearly over achieved, will Kadri get over 32 again,no! But we can improve our defense and Lou knows it.

I agree Kadri overachieved points wise but how do we know the rookies did?
With no history to look at perhaps they underachieved?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I hope Lou is like this in his day to day life. I can just imagine getting him as a customer in a drive through.

"Well, this menu has a lot of things, a lot of good things that I'm looking into, but that's something that I keep private until we've reached a decision. What I can tell you is that it needs to make sense for me, the price has to be right."
I literally just laughed so hard reading that. :handclap: :laugh:

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

that is so wrong.

Lou would have at least said. "First of all...." :laugh::laugh:

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Lou is one of those guys that are really good at talking but when you get to the end of the interview you realize that you didn't learn a single thing that you didn't know before. Really good at talking but not saying anything at all lol.

Mar 26, 2010
Safe to say Nylander, Marner and Matthews are Untouchable. Also no Captain next season... I think that is for the better. Give Matthews 1 more year and then name him Captain.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I agree Kadri overachieved points wise but how do we know the rookies did?
With no history to look at perhaps they underachieved?

Breaking half century old records would indicate that what they did was out of the norm. Its no smoking gun but it sure is a good indicator that these 3 kids are exceptional or had career years.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
So basically he said no big trades that leave us with a big hole to fill. Reliance on youth and getting players from SWE RUS for nothing to tryout in camp etc. Sounds like they will go after McBackup though.

When JVR, Komarov, and Bozak were mentioned by name, he didn't give a vote of confidence to suggest they would be back or not. I didn't hear anything to suggest any of these three were coming back (nothing to the contrary either of course) and that the decisions were yet to be made.

McBackup was only a maybe, as he sort of implied they would be looking at all their options. It didn't sound like they were too concerned with their D, as he mentioned how they felt good about their internal people (Dermott?) and the recent Euros.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Lou is one of those guys that are really good at talking but when you get to the end of the interview you realize that you didn't learn a single thing that you didn't know before. Really good at talking but not saying anything at all lol.

Shanahan is the same way. he talks and you're like YAH!
and then he finishes and it's like... so.... yah. :laugh:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
When JVR, Komarov, and Bozak were mentioned by name, he didn't give a vote of confidence to suggest they would be back or not. I didn't hear anything to suggest any of these three were coming back (nothing to the contrary either of course) and that the decisions were yet to be made.

McBackup was only a maybe, as he sort of implied they would be looking at all their options. It didn't sound like they were too concerned with their D, as he mentioned how they felt good about their internal people (Dermott?) and the recent Euros.
I always thought that was more due to them still being under contract for next season, where as McElhinney is set to be a UFA this July.

Unhealthy Scratch

Auston 4:16
Mar 15, 2016

With Kapanen, Soshnikov, Leivo, Leipsic and Rychel all knocking on the door for bottom six winger spots, you'd think there has to be some movement coming. Several of them will be waiver-eligible as of next season, so even if Vegas walks off with one of them in the expansion draft, some decisions will likely have to be made whether it's packaging one of them in a deal or creating some roster flexibility by moving JVR or (less likely) Komarov, or (even less likely) Martin.

Last edited:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
People hated JFJ for saying nothing. Lamoriello is the master of saying nothing in a lot of words.

No, people hated JFJ for being incompetent, the same with Burke and Nonis.

Lou is basically saying. "How we conduct our business is not public domain." " Screw off and we publish our roster October 1st."

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
No, people hated JFJ for being incompetent, the same with Burke and Nonis.

Lou is basically saying. "How we conduct our business is not public domain." " Screw off and we publish our roster October 1st."

People hated JFJ because when he said he couldn't confirm or deny anything, people know it was because he didn't have a clue in hell. When Lou does the same, people know it's because he's holding his cards close to his chest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad