Lake Tahoe disappoints...where would you suggest the NHL go?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I like the previous posters Montreal idea. If they want to try being out in nature again, Lake Louise, Alaska and Yukon have some pretty amazing scenery where keeping the ice solid shouldn’t be a problem.

They already tried Alaska, but the Rangers were to cold from the extreme temperatures.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Do people actually think this is going to happen again?

The only reason it happened this season is because of the no fans at games thing. The only places that have venues large enough to make it worth it are in major cities.

Reactions: oknazevad

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
on Lake Minnetonka would be cool. They should do an All Star game there.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Do people actually think this is going to happen again?

The only reason it happened this season is because of the no fans at games thing. The only places that have venues large enough to make it worth it are in major cities.
Not really, just due to the size of many NCAA football stadiums which are in Smaller cities or towns. South Bend isn't very big and there was a Winter Classic there. For example, they could do Philly vs Pens at State College. But, I agree, they won't do another venue like Lake Tahoe if Fans are allowed back.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I don't understand why you would rule out national parks. Banff would be a great place for an outdoor game. Whistler would be another great one. Yosemite Valley would be stunning but it is 1,000 feet below Tahoe in elevation. Yellowstone would be breathtaking but the geothermal would be a problem. Poconos, Tetons, lots of choices in the more Northern US. But the truth is that even in the Northern US, you can't plan for there NOT being an indian summer or at least enough sunshine to go all Tahoe on the venue.

NHL could not get permission for commercial/promotional venture. (IOW could not have a title sponsor, and signage all over the rink.)

WRT city scapes -- where are you positioning the game cameras? NHL had to build towers for the (near center ice) game cameras and end zones.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
NHL could not get permission for commercial/promotional venture. (IOW could not have a title sponsor, and signage all over the rink.)

I was thinking mobile cameramen dodging the skaters

WRT city scapes -- where are you positioning the game cameras? NHL had to build towers for the (near center ice) game cameras and end zones.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Though that is essentially what happened the year Vancouver hosted the 2014 Heritage Classic. The retractable roof at BC Place was closed for most of the game. Nobody remembers that because it was all overshadowed by what Torts did in goal.

I went to that game (free tickets for xmas, never would've spent the money myself). Probably one of the most embarrassing moments to be a canucks fan. Such a needy "me too" type of event.

Reactions: GrkFlyersFan

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Whistler would make a good backdrop

Maybe at a ski hill. Starting to seem like a stretch. I say go big or go home. Find a frozen lake in the mountains, Manning Park or something like that. But Lake Louise seems like the winner here if you want that ridiculously scenic look.

Either way the outdoor games are just not very appealing unless there's something new and fresh about them, and I doubt that the no fans avenue is the chosen one amongst nhl executives.

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
Maybe we should come back and start with Mars.
Then we can jump from planet to planet on our way out of the Solar System.
Nah, go straight to Pluto. No need to worry about the quality of the ice when the whole dwarf planet is ice.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'm going to say in the Plains of Abraham in Quebec City.

And maybe just maybe an outdoor game in Montreal. Mc Gill stadium maybe? Up on the hill. Hockey might have started there? Long before Gary Bettman.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00