Lake Tahoe disappoints...where would you suggest the NHL go?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
It’s probably a near impossibility logistics wise but on a rooftop with a big city backdrop like NY or Tronna would be cool.

pier-17-winterland-illustration.jpg

552da3b79234370296f4e3e524eb0ee1.jpg

I don't think it's impossible logistically. The league can't go cheap, though. They need to improve the ice situation considerably because I think that's what has the largest negative impact on the play of all the winter classics and outdoor games.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I am only finding out now (busy Saturday) that the first Lake Tahoe game was postponed due to lack of actual ice. The video I saw was laughable, showing players and refs both wiping out in ice that was little better than slush.

Obvs, NHL needs our help. What grand, outdoor site would you propose they investigate for a proper outdoor game? No stadiums please. And no parks, state, provincial or national either. Nothing in a city. Anyone got a suitable venue, with some beautiful nature cameras can focus on, cold consistent ice conditions, some nearby logistics e.g roads and power?

So first of all, it wasn't lack of actual ice. It was misjudgement of the effect the radiation of high elevation direct sun on the ice, which made it soft and dangerous.

They could have floated a couple shade wings high over the venue and you could have had the gorgeous views AND manageable ice. Would have added to the cost for sure, but would have been doable. Playing Tahoe in the dark kind of defeated the purpose of playing Tahoe.

I don't understand why you would rule out national parks. Banff would be a great place for an outdoor game. Whistler would be another great one. Yosemite Valley would be stunning but it is 1,000 feet below Tahoe in elevation. Yellowstone would be breathtaking but the geothermal would be a problem. Poconos, Tetons, lots of choices in the more Northern US. But the truth is that even in the Northern US, you can't plan for there NOT being an indian summer or at least enough sunshine to go all Tahoe on the venue.

Perhaps a game near the North Pole....that would be quite a promotion.

Reactions: GrkFlyersFan

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Wouldn't temperature be an issue with Allegiant Stadium? In order to make the ice to begin with there needs to be an extended period of sub-freezing temperature. And when the ice is actually skated on, the second it gets above freezing the ice starts turning into slush. Lake Tahoe was still questionable logistically despite record low temperatures earlier this month. I would think Allegiant Stadium and Vegas in general has probably never seen an extended period of the sub-zero temperature.

They made ice for the 1991 Caesars Palace outdoor game and that ice was praised. Allegiant is a closed, climate controlled stadium when the big window is closed. If they could make ice on an 85 degree evening in the open air in August, they can make it in Allegiant in January. But then that would be a stadium series game, not an outdoor game.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I never said temperatures were the problem with Lake Tahoe. I actually pointed out that it was still questionable despite the temperatures. My whole point was that Allegiant Stadium and Vegas in general wasn't a suitable location for an outdoor rink.

As long as you have the proper combination of constantly near freezing temperatures and proper weather you can play. My whole point was Allegiant Stadium and Vegas in general doesn't offer the constantly near freezing temperatures or proper weather to allow for playable ice.

You don't need constant near freezing temperature. The condensers provide the freezing temperatures needed. Tahoe was 40 degrees. That's 15 degrees colder than they keep the atmospheric temperature at T-Mobile for games. What you need is protection from direct sun when you are at high elevation and there is little air density to filter and diffuse radiation. The NHL learned from this experience, and I'm sure they will apply it to future site locations and venue setup considerations. One thing is for sure, the idea was a good one.

Reactions: saffronleaf

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
That wouldn't be an outdoor game. It would be a game played in an indoor football stadium.
Though that is essentially what happened the year Vancouver hosted the 2014 Heritage Classic. The retractable roof at BC Place was closed for most of the game. Nobody remembers that because it was all overshadowed by what Torts did in goal.

Reactions: VictoriaJetsFan

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
The Florida Everglades :sarcasm:

I don't know, Alaska sounds cool. Lake Louise, Jasper, Banff, or somewhere in BC are also cool ideas.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
It’s probably a near impossibility logistics wise but on a rooftop with a big city backdrop like NY or Tronna would be cool.

pier-17-winterland-illustration.jpg

552da3b79234370296f4e3e524eb0ee1.jpg

I don't think it's impossible logistically. The league can't go cheap, though. They need to improve the ice situation considerably because I think that's what has the largest negative impact on the play of all the winter classics and outdoor games.

Imagine the "puck out of play" situations

The puck out of play situations is why this couldn't happen.

A building or a person on the ground below (or a person in a building) getting drilled by a puck going 100 mph from a rooftop would be a catastrophic.

It would kill someone if it ever hit them.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
The puck out of play situations is why this couldn't happen.

A building or a person on the ground below (or a person in a building) getting drilled by a puck going 100 mph from a rooftop would be a catastrophic.

It would kill someone if it ever hit them.

Netting fully around the rink.

Reactions: Burke the Legend

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I am only finding out now (busy Saturday) that the first Lake Tahoe game was postponed due to lack of actual ice. The video I saw was laughable, showing players and refs both wiping out in ice that was little better than slush.

Obvs, NHL needs our help. What grand, outdoor site would you propose they investigate for a proper outdoor game? No stadiums please. And no parks, state, provincial or national either. Nothing in a city. Anyone got a suitable venue, with some beautiful nature cameras can focus on, cold consistent ice conditions, some nearby logistics e.g roads and power?
Saturn?

Reactions: VictoriaJetsFan

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Allegiant Stadium and open the window (that overlooks Strip)?

The problem was lack of cloud cover -- too much sun. Everything else was good.
LOL, the whole point missed by the OP.

Anywhere you go, if it's sunny and around freezing, you'll have ice issues.

There was snow on the ground ffs, it's not like it was bad idea.

onlyalad

New rule: no goalies.
Jan 13, 2008
They played in Vegas, outside , in September, in 95 degrees in 1991
You can’t tell me 30 years later they can’t play Outdoor games because of weather

Reactions: IceNeophyte

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad