Lake Tahoe disappoints...where would you suggest the NHL go?

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
I am only finding out now (busy Saturday) that the first Lake Tahoe game was postponed due to lack of actual ice. The video I saw was laughable, showing players and refs both wiping out in ice that was little better than slush.

Obvs, NHL needs our help. What grand, outdoor site would you propose they investigate for a proper outdoor game? No stadiums please. And no parks, state, provincial or national either. Nothing in a city. Anyone got a suitable venue, with some beautiful nature cameras can focus on, cold consistent ice conditions, some nearby logistics e.g roads and power?

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
I think outdoor games should be prime time games especially the Winter Classic. Just makes more sense not having to deal with the sun. I get it’s a better scenic view, but I rather not have to deal with the sun.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Allegiant Stadium and open the window (that overlooks Strip)?

The problem was lack of cloud cover -- too much sun. Everything else was good.

Wouldn't temperature be an issue with Allegiant Stadium? In order to make the ice to begin with there needs to be an extended period of sub-freezing temperature. And when the ice is actually skated on, the second it gets above freezing the ice starts turning into slush. Lake Tahoe was still questionable logistically despite record low temperatures earlier this month. I would think Allegiant Stadium and Vegas in general has probably never seen an extended period of the sub-zero temperature.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Wouldn't temperature be an issue with Allegiant Stadium? In order to make the ice to begin with there needs to be an extended period of sub-freezing temperature. And when the ice is actually skated on, the second it gets above freezing the ice starts turning into slush. Lake Tahoe was still questionable logistically despite record low temperatures earlier this month. I would think Allegiant Stadium and Vegas in general has probably never seen an extended period of the sub-zero temperature.

Allegiant Stadium is a retractable roof, so in theory you could close it partially to block direct sunlight.

Temperatures weren’t the problem. The high was 34f today. The direct sunlight was the problem. I remember the Devils-Rangers game in 2014 had to be delayed about 90 minutes because of the sunlight and it was close to the negative degrees Fahrenheit

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Well, I certainly hope this takes Lightning vs. or Panthers vs. (in either market) off the table.

Again the issue was direct sunlight not temperature. it could have happened (and has previously happened) in any market even when temperatures were well below freezing. Temperatures today in Lake Tahoe were just above the freezing point, colder than a lot of other outdoor games than have been played.

any game in Florida would likely be played at night anyways like the Dodger Stadium or Santa Clara games.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Allegiant Stadium is a retractable roof, so in theory you could close it partially to block direct sunlight.

Temperatures weren’t the problem. The high was 34f today. The direct sunlight was the problem. I remember the Devils-Rangers game in 2014 had to be delayed about 90 minutes because of the sunlight and it was close to the negative degrees Fahrenheit

I never said temperatures were the problem with Lake Tahoe. I actually pointed out that it was still questionable despite the temperatures. My whole point was that Allegiant Stadium and Vegas in general wasn't a suitable location for an outdoor rink.

As long as you have the proper combination of constantly near freezing temperatures and proper weather you can play. My whole point was Allegiant Stadium and Vegas in general doesn't offer the constantly near freezing temperatures or proper weather to allow for playable ice.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Again the issue was direct sunlight not temperature. it could have happened (and has previously happened) in any market even when temperatures were well below freezing. Temperatures today in Lake Tahoe were just above the freezing point, colder than a lot of other outdoor games than have been played.

any game in Florida would likely be played at night anyways like the Dodger Stadium or Santa Clara games.

I’m aware it was due to the direct sunlight. I have long feared and shudder when hearing the League is exploring having an outdoor game down here. The weather is just too predictably unpredictable

A game during the day in Raymond James Stadium for example, a stadium that runs north-south, would have full exposure to the sun. Take that last part away and hope for an overcast day usually means rain is on the way or rain has already come through

Doing it at night would have to come down to careful timing because during the winter, the majority of the fronts that sweep through here are always at night. Which means rain, sometimes storms… Some severe.

It was not my intent for my previous post to be a swipe in general. If that’s the way it was taken, my apologies

FTR - The winters in Southern California versus Florida are vastly different. Even if the temperatures seem similar on a weather map, the humidity levels are greatly different

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I never said temperatures were the problem with Lake Tahoe. I actually pointed out that it was still questionable despite the temperatures. My whole point was that Allegiant Stadium and Vegas in general wasn't a suitable location for an outdoor rink.

As long as you have the proper combination of constantly near freezing temperatures and proper weather you can play. My whole point was Allegiant Stadium and Vegas in general doesn't offer the constantly near freezing temperatures or proper weather to allow for playable ice.

And they have played games with temperatures in the 60’s without a problem before (the Dodger Stadium and Santa Clara games).

Reactions: Sean Garrity

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I’m aware it was due to the direct sunlight. I have long feared and shudder when hearing the League is exploring having an outdoor game down here. The weather is just too predictably unpredictable

A game during the day in Raymond James Stadium for example, a stadium that runs north-south, would have full exposure to the sun. Take that last part away and hope for an overcast day usually means rain is on the way or rain has already come through

Doing it at night would have to come down to careful timing because during the winter, the majority of the fronts that sweep through here are always at night. Which means rain, sometimes storms… Some severe.

It was not my intent for my previous post to be a swipe in general. If that’s the way it was taken, my apologies

FTR - The winters in Southern California versus Florida are vastly different. Even if the temperatures seem similar on a weather map, the humidity levels are greatly different

I live in Miami, I’m very aware of what the weather is like in Florida in the Winter.

I wouldn’t ever expect a day game in Florida. Night can be done.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I don't get the reason to have outdoor games in warm places. The idea was supposed to create a pond hockey type of experience.

I'm not a sunbelt hockey hater but there's a reason why the super bowl goes to a sunbelt location. The weather is not ice hockey weather!

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
People in warm weather buy tickets too!

yup.

And that's what it comes down to. There was no reason to have an outdoor game in Vancouver, high likelihood of rain. But they went ahead anyways and ended up having to close the roof. So it was just an indoor game with really bad sight lines and over priced tickets.

Reactions: cutchemist42

Bucky_Hoyt

Dec 11, 2005
Singapore
Not sure if it would be possible or fit the outdoor pond image now but loved the outdoor rinks next to Bonsecours market in Montreal.

Probably this Tahoe debacle was a one-off anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->