Lake Erie Monsters/Kalamazoo Wings Thread IV (All Affiliate talk here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMariusz

Nov 13, 2007
Belgium
Falcons were DUE and they showed up big today. Much better hockey, really taking it to Norfolk early, 3-0 first period.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Watched the Falcons tonight and couple things pointed out to me.

JAM looked good early with a couple points then kind of drifted off and was invisible.
Chaput had a sick bar down goal off a feed from JAM.
Savard and Holden were literally out there for every real important shift.
Erixon looked solid with Weber, kind of surprised he wasnt out there with a minute less guess Savard/Holden have the trust since they've been together for awhile.
Cam has an unreal shot. Clearly NHL caliber hit the post twice.
McElhinney got beat on some pretty weak shots from the point.
Johan was rather invisible but it looked like Kubalik kind of brought down that line tonight.
Dalton Smith looks like a tank out there.
Erixon got a penalty for pulling a guy that was on top of McElhinney when he was out of the crease. Total wtf penalty.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
http://therantspringfieldfalcons.blogspot.com/2013/01/end-of-year-player-review.html?spref=tw

Good read.... Not happy with the Johansen report but I can't put up a defensible argument to counter... he better come to play in Columbus or his career could be in jeopardy...

I like the reports on Calvert and Atkinson but as much as we all like heart there must be skill to score at the NHL level too... a team cannot win the cup on heart alone, there must be the skill to put the puck into the tight spaces ….we will see.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
http://therantspringfieldfalcons.blogspot.com/2013/01/end-of-year-player-review.html?spref=tw

Good read.... Not happy with the Johansen report but I can't put up a defensible argument to counter... he better come to play in Columbus or his career could be in jeopardy...

I like the reports on Calvert and Atkinson but as much as we all like heart there must be skill to score at the NHL level too... a team cannot win the cup on heart alone, there must be the skill to put the puck into the tight spaces ….we will see.

I don't see a lot of Springfield games, but I can say that this would not have been anywhere near my assessments of him when he played in Portland.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
When talking about Johan, expectations have to be considered when he is graded. People tend to grade on what they expect. May not be totally fair, but it is what it is.

Johan is developing at the same pace that many other big centers have in the past. Center is one of the toughest positions to play in pro hockey. He will get there and be a stud.

This lock-out ending is going to decimate the Falcons. Hope they can continue to have success. Of course other teams will lose players as well, but we seem to have a pretty big roster representation there.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Looks like they will lose Cam, Johansen, Moore & another D-Erixon or Savard? Rest of NHL roster looks set to me,

Matt

Jul 30, 2006
I say keep Johansen in Springfield. There are enough centers on the CBJ roster and he needs more developement.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
With too quick of a start to the season, there's a big potential for any of the NHLers who aren't in shape or having been playing that much to get injured, especially groin pulls.

The AHLers should be in the best game shape and throwing them into games early could be a good strategy.

The Falcons play today (1/6) and then Friday (1/11) and 1/12. Then they have a rare Tuesday game 1/15. So, they're not going to be able to spare a lot of players.

I'd rather Mason get a conditioning assignment in Falcons and bring up McElhinney. Mason hasn't played during the lockout.

Also, Moore is injured in Springfield (possibly concussed).

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
I say keep Johansen in Springfield. There are enough centers on the CBJ roster and he needs more developement.

Wait, didn't you guarantee that there would be no level higher than the "A" for him to join, this season? You were not alone, of course, but your dedication to the negative in all things hockey seems to stand out to me. I hope you can somehow manage to find some pleasure in the season, no matter how short it may be.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

Wow, really? Nothing like taking one persons opinion and turning it into gloom. I have been following the team all season (TV and radio) and have seen probably ten or so games. The kid is 20 and you already have his career in jeopardy? Ha ha. I was one of a few that wanted him back in Portland last season and I am very happy that he is developing in Springfield where he belongs right now. He has all the tools to be a productive player but I'm not sold on him ever being an elite talent. He may never turn into a number one center but his game is progressing and that's a good thing at this point in time.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I haven't seen any of Springfield's games this year, but I am happy with the stats Johansen is putting up. 32 GP, 12 G, 12 A, 24 PTS, +11 is pretty good for a 20 year old in the AHL, IMO.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Springfield has a game at 3. Any details as to who is playing or if all their superstars are on the way to Columbus?

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Johansen is +11, while Cam is +6. The team is winning and outscoring opponents, so that naturally helps +/-, but it shows he is putting in the effort to improve defensive.

The Falcons also play at lot of back to back games or even Fri, Sat, Sun games. Trying to play physically with that type of schedule for a young player gets difficult. There's little time to rest/heal up between games on the weekends and trying to hit or play physically when your bruised and banged up isn't easy.

Johansen has also improved in December. In 12 games, he had 6 goals and 5 assists. He had a had goaless streak in November that put him back from a point a game pace.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Keep in mind that JD now runs the CBJ. I have heard him speak on multiple occassions since coming to Columbus and also take note of how he handled things in St. Louis. DOn't be surprised if Johan remains in Springfield to play big minutes as a center. With Dubi, AA, Brass and MacKenzie there is some depth to play center in Columbus (not saying great players but 4 proven NHL centers). Can add Umby to that and Letestu also.

I see Cam coming up - no brainer - and two d-men. Moore is injured but would be one when healthy. I could see Prout or Holden being the other one (or both initially). Granted, having Erixon learn from some of the vets in C-bus could be beneficial too.

I'm not ruling out a minor signing or trade to add some depth up front (especially if they do keep Johan in Springfield). Based on roster numbers there are only 12 forwards (including Cam and Johan) that appear to be on the capgeek roster.

I think Springfield loses a little with the agreement but I just don't get the impression they'll lose the bulk of their team.

Matt

Jul 30, 2006
Johansen is getting better and better. It would be to his advantage to say in Springfield and continue to develope under Larson's eye.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
I’m happy to read the recent support for Johansen in this thread… Several months ago when he was playing in Columbus I read posts to the contrary… , with some luck the board will come to a consensus on this future star…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig