Confirmed with Link: (LAK-WSH) Carl Hagelin (50% retained) traded for 2019 3rd, Conditional 2020 6th

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
It is not good asset management when you look at the entire picture but it is perfectly okay if you only look at the present.

Blake made a gross miscalculation on the strength of this roster and is now selling assets much lower than he could have when he first took over, except maybe Muzzin. Pearson for a 3rd round draft pick seems fine today but it is garbage prior to October 6, 2018.

That mistake has been made and there is no going back. He's got to dig himself out of it so not having the contract is a win for today and a step towards correcting his initial mistakes.

Let's hope the lottery goes their way as that would really help jump start wherever Blake is trying to take this thing.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
kind of a bummer thinking tanner pearson, a first rounder, turns into just a 3rd and 6th but i guess we ultimately could've got nothing
Let's not forget that Tanner Pearson did play well and chipped in some offense during the 2014 Cup run. So there's that Stanley Cup thing that the Kings got out of the first rounder too. Not a bad deal.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
It is not good asset management when you look at the entire picture but it is perfectly okay if you only look at the present.

Blake made a gross miscalculation on the strength of this roster and is now selling assets much lower than he could have when he first took over, except maybe Muzzin. Pearson for a 3rd round draft pick seems fine today but it is garbage prior to October 6, 2018.

That mistake has been made and there is no going back. He's got to dig himself out of it so not having the contract is a win for today and a step towards correcting his initial mistakes.

Let's hope the lottery goes their way as that would really help jump start wherever Blake is trying to take this thing.

Pearson was a top 6, young with upside, left wing (a position we've lacked strength in for a very long time) with first-round pedigree before the season's start. Nobody is trading that away and a vast majority of teams would have rode it out to see if he could recover.

The fact that Blake acted relatively quickly and was able to sidestep his contract and get anything at the deadline, while not amazingly brilliant, still rings as a pretty decent win and a nice change of pace versus the loyalty shown by Deano throughout his tenure.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Good bye and good luck, Carl Hagelin. We hardly knew ye. I'll be cheering on the Caps in the playoffs.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Let's not forget that Tanner Pearson did play well and chipped in some offense during the 2014 Cup run. So there's that Stanley Cup thing that the Kings got out of the first rounder too. Not a bad deal.
no i completely agree, i'm not so much bagging on pearson, it's just the numbers of it. like, maybe we could've got a bit more for him if we sold higher coming off his strong 16-17 season

i see it how bigking does, it's not min-maxed but it's the correct decision to make

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Pearson was a top 6, young with upside, left wing (a position we've lacked strength in for a very long time) with first-round pedigree before the season's start. Nobody is trading that away and a vast majority of teams would have rode it out to see if he could recover.

The fact that Blake acted relatively quickly and was able to sidestep his contract and get anything at the deadline, while not amazingly brilliant, still rings as a pretty decent win and a nice change of pace versus the loyalty shown by Deano throughout his tenure.

He had a ton of what appears to be dead weight to choose from when he traded Pearson.

As for loyalty, Lubo and Jack Johnson say hello. These guys haven't won shit for Blake so that shouldn't factor in to anything. If anything, he showed the same Deano loyalty by not doing a damn thing to the roster last year.

I am perfectly fine with today's move, but I'm not pinning a medal on Blake for it. He made it harder on himself to dig out of any hole that Dean left him by his inaction when first taking over and then improper action last offseason. Today is a real small step toward digging himself out.

Reactions: KINGS17

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
As per CapFriendly

*Conditions: Washington shall transfer its 2020 6th round pick if Washington wins 2 or more playoff rounds in the 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs; and Hagelin plays in 50% or more of the combined total number of games played in any 2 of the 2019 playoff rounds.

seems more likely that the trade is Hagelin for a 3rd

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
He had a ton of what appears to be dead weight to choose from when he traded Pearson.

As for loyalty, Lubo and Jack Johnson say hello. These guys haven't won **** for Blake so that shouldn't factor in to anything. If anything, he showed the same Deano loyalty by not doing a damn thing to the roster last year.

I am perfectly fine with today's move, but I'm not pinning a medal on Blake for it. He made it harder on himself to dig out of any hole that Dean left him by his inaction when first taking over and then improper action last offseason. Today is a real small step toward digging himself out.

Well, then we are in agreement. I agree with you that Blake doesn't deserve much credit and that this is a small step in the right direction; a move in the positive direction for both.

However, I would like to point out that Blake was the assistant general manager when we won the second Stanley Cup in 2014 and Pearson was a decent piece in that second win... I wouldn't go as far to say that he's never won anything for Blake, etc.

Also, Pearson was noticeably struggling and his lack of energy was having a negative effect on the team. He was a noticeable and clear symbol to the room that that kind of effort or lack thereof wasn't to be tolerated.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
So the Leafs and Caps need to lose more in the regular season, while the Leafs need to go out in the 1st rd, and the Caps need to win. Hooray, rooting interest.

Reactions: Reaper45

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Pearson's play was the embodiment of what was wrong with this team (and others). Zero drive. That tenacity he played with during the 2014 Cup run and a few years ago is gone. And the same can be said for a lot of other slackers on the team.

If only some of these guys had half the heart and willingness exhibited by Kyle Clifford.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017

This is the kind of hindsight critique that is completely unfair. Can you imagine how much Blake would have been ripped apart for trading a speedy young winger with offensive upside before the season? Especially if the offense would have stagnated like it has, hell I am convinced you would be blaming that very trade for the poor offense right now.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
This is the kind of hindsight critique that is completely unfair. Can you imagine how much Blake would have been ripped apart for trading a speedy young winger with offensive upside before the season? Especially if the offense would have stagnated like it has, hell I am convinced you would be blaming that very trade for the poor offense right now.

It is not unfair to say he was wrong about the roster. Now, would he have chosen to move Pearson? That's debatable but, again, what would the offer have been in 2017 or even last Summer? If he "retools" or whatever upon immediately taking over as GM, having Pearson's contract on the books right now might not even matter depending on what Carter and others brought back along with not signing Kovalchuk.

I still don't understand why hindsight is not able to be used to judge someone's actions. A move is made or not made, there is a result and then you get to judge the effectiveness of said action/inaction.

I've argued about Lombardi's moves because, at the time, you could argue why he did them but they've proven disastrous in hindsight, except for keeping Richards which was a disaster when it happened. Even then, I say he was wrong and you get judged on the effing results.

Blake was wrong. It is okay to admit he was wrong and the usual arguments about "made the playoffs" and "Jennings Trophy" don't mean shit if he was wrong. Jesus...DL trades a 1st for Sekera for a team that just went Cup-WCF-Cup and it is bemoaned on here all the time but, with Blake, "How was he supposed to know?"

It is okay if you didn't know, if Golden Bear didn't know and if I didn't know since we don't matter. It is Blake's job though and he was so, so wrong about what he had. Today's move is fine and I'm all about acquiring more lottery tickets and minimizing dollars but the quality of said tickets and the ability to minimize dollars has been downgraded by waiting until now to do so.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
It is not unfair to say he was wrong about the roster. Now, would he have chosen to move Pearson? That's debatable but, again, what would the offer have been in 2017 or even last Summer? If he "retools" or whatever upon immediately taking over as GM, having Pearson's contract on the books right now might not even matter depending on what Carter and others brought back along with not signing Kovalchuk.

I still don't understand why hindsight is not able to be used to judge someone's actions. A move is made or not made, there is a result and then you get to judge the effectiveness of said action/inaction.

I've argued about Lombardi's moves because, at the time, you could argue why he did them but they've proven disastrous in hindsight, except for keeping Richards which was a disaster when it happened. Even then, I say he was wrong and you get judged on the effing results.

Blake was wrong. It is okay to admit he was wrong and the usual arguments about "made the playoffs" and "Jennings Trophy" don't mean **** if he was wrong. Jesus...DL trades a 1st for Sekera for a team that just went Cup-WCF-Cup and it is bemoaned on here all the time but, with Blake, "How was he supposed to know?"

It is okay if you didn't know, if Golden Bear didn't know and if I didn't know since we don't matter. It is Blake's job though and he was so, so wrong about what he had. Today's move is fine and I'm all about acquiring more lottery tickets and minimizing dollars but the quality of said tickets and the ability to minimize dollars has been downgraded by waiting until now to do so.

We aren't discussing any of those things. You said Blake f***ed up by not trading Pearson before the season began. You know, the 25 year old left winger coming off of a 40 point season. He should have predicted his game falling apart and traded him before the season? Criticize the Kovalchuk signing all you want(hell, I'm surprised you haven't brought up the Patches rumor in this blast), but that is not and was not the discussion. You are making an unfair critique. It's almost like saying Deano should have traded the entire team following the 2014 cup, because the team hasn't won a playoff series since. Hindsight should not be used when the situation is difficult to predict happening. Even those advocating for a re-tool before this year would have likely wanted to keep Pearson, since he was a young offensive talent with speed.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
The Pearson trade is finally complete with the Haglin trade.I'm good with the return for Pearson.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
You don't just trade a 24/25 year old 40 point 2Line winger that helped win you the cup and just signed a 4 year deal. You hope he is part of your future and help transition to a younger team. The fact he got traded this year has nothing to do with Blake but all to do with Pearson.

Reactions: crassbonanza

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Completely disagree, he turned an asset who had lost everything, skating, shooting, boardwork, drive, passion, hunger, into a 3rd round pick while getting out from 2 more years of a contract that would not have been earned,

Big picture, small picture, near or far, that's excellent asset management.

Reactions: SlimCharles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad