Confirmed with Link: (LAK-WSH) Carl Hagelin (50% retained) traded for 2019 3rd, Conditional 2020 6th

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
This is the kind of hindsight critique that is completely unfair. Can you imagine how much Blake would have been ripped apart for trading a speedy young winger with offensive upside before the season? Especially if the offense would have stagnated like it has, hell I am convinced you would be blaming that very trade for the poor offense right now.
I think both Blake and Robitaille were promoted based on their sales pitch to AEG saying the Kings are still Stanley Cup contenders.

Each of them, especially Blake, were close enough to the situation to know better. They overestimated the talent, depth, and character of this roster enormously. That is on Robitaille and Blake.

It's not fair to say these things are being said in hindsight. Many people have been saying this in one form or another for over two years.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I think both Blake and Robitaille were promoted based on their sales pitch to AEG saying the Kings are still Stanley Cup contenders.

Each of them, especially Blake, were close enough to the situation to know better. They overestimated the talent, depth, and character of this roster enormously. That is on Robitaille and Blake.

It's not fair to say these things are being said in hindsight. Many people have been saying this in one form or another for over two years.

Did they though? Again, we can go round and round, I enjoy this, Coming off of being the BEST defensive team in the league, they added a great offensive weapon at no cost.....you want people tp believe that Blake and Robitaille should have known that the compete level wasn't there anymore? Because that is what is wrong with the team, the compete level WAS non-existent and still is sporadic, how do you measure that in the off-season?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Well, then we are in agreement. I agree with you that Blake doesn't deserve much credit and that this is a small step in the right direction; a move in the positive direction for both.

However, I would like to point out that Blake was the assistant general manager when we won the second Stanley Cup in 2014 and Pearson was a decent piece in that second win... I wouldn't go as far to say that he's never won anything for Blake, etc.

Also, Pearson was noticeably struggling and his lack of energy was having a negative effect on the team. He was a noticeable and clear symbol to the room that that kind of effort or lack thereof wasn't to be tolerated.
I would like to think the broken leg Pearson suffered back in January 2015 had a big impact on his performance going forward. I do think he lost a step, but he had three pretty good seasons after coming back from the injury.

I think the fire is just gone for Pearson. Hard to tell what caused it to go out, but he doesn't seem to be able to get it started again.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Did they though? Again, we can go round and round, I enjoy this, Coming off of being the BEST defensive team in the league, they added a great offensive weapon at no cost.....you want people tp believe that Blake and Robitaille should have known that the compete level wasn't there anymore? Because that is what is wrong with the team, the compete level WAS non-existent and still is sporadic, how do you measure that in the off-season?
Standings and number of playoff wins don't lie, and it's not going to get better.

Blake should have the pulse of the team as the assistant GM. Yes, I expect him to know.

Reactions: 3firstnames

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
While 3rd rounders have a low percentage to make the NHL, the more of those 3rd round picks you have they higher the probability you hit on the one guy that does make it.
Good deal for Kings

Not only that, but maybe they acquire a 2nd or 3rd round pick that later gets packaged with the Leafs picks to move up a handful of spots, its not just about picking a guy with every pick you have going in.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Standings and number of playoff wins don't lie, and it's not going to get better.

Blake should have the pulse of the team as the assistant GM. Yes, I expect him to know.

That's horseshit....Blake as the assistant GM does not have the pulse of the team, what BS garbage are you spewing now?

Blake's responsibilites as assistant GM is being GM of the Reign, and whatever Lombardi asks him to do, you are trying to make it sound like he just hung around the team and he should have known who lost passion and that the compete level was gone....

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
We aren't discussing any of those things. You said Blake ****ed up by not trading Pearson before the season began. You know, the 25 year old left winger coming off of a 40 point season. He should have predicted his game falling apart and traded him before the season? Criticize the Kovalchuk signing all you want(hell, I'm surprised you haven't brought up the Patches rumor in this blast), but that is not and was not the discussion. You are making an unfair critique. It's almost like saying Deano should have traded the entire team following the 2014 cup, because the team hasn't won a playoff series since. Hindsight should not be used when the situation is difficult to predict happening. Even those advocating for a re-tool before this year would have likely wanted to keep Pearson, since he was a young offensive talent with speed.

I said trading Pearson would be debatable if he had gone retool/rebuild immediately. Who knows what Pearson is on a rebuilding team where his contract isn't a problem since it doesn't matter?

Point is, calling this "excellent asset management" is extremely hyperbolic. It looks fine right now because Pearson is struggling and the Kings need to shed salary: a salary issue not helped by a certain $6MM vet signing.

It is paint-by-numbers GM'ing, in my opinion. Team is struggling so he trades a "made man" to try and shake up the room while trading him for someone he thinks can still help the team this season. When the season is lost, he flips him for a pick. Perfectly fine.

Everything is reactionary and not visionary. At least his reactions now are a reaction to actually realizing this core is rotten and needs to be refreshed, if not torn down.

I like flipping Hagelin for the pick. I didn't even want to rip Blake and am happy with him for the Muzzin deal; however, calling this particular move "excellent asset management" is like giving credit to a guy who just farted for opening a f***ing window 30 seconds later after we've all had to sit in it.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Seems like every one of Blake's moves. Not terrible but not a win.

The thing is if at the start of the year you were to tell me LA is dealing pearson for 3rd and conditional 6th I would have been very disappointed. I would have thought he was at least worth a 2nd or higher end prospect.
Than he started the year by sucking and was dealt for Hagelin. At the time I thought Hagelin could fetch a 3rd at the deadline. Hagelin than gets injured and does not produce or look effective. I then thought Hagelin may get LA a 4th.

So the Pearson for a 3rd is not good however given how Pearson has looked in Pittsburgh is actually probably a steal. Hagelin for 3rd I am more than ok with.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
That's horse****....Blake as the assistant GM does not have the pulse of the team, what BS garbage are you spewing now?

Blake's responsibilites as assistant GM is being GM of the Reign, and whatever Lombardi asks him to do, you are trying to make it sound like he just hung around the team and he should have known who lost passion and that the compete level was gone....
Yet Blake supposedly knew enough to sell AEG a line of BS about the roster being a Stanley Cup contender? No, he either knew or he didn't, or he misjudged the situation.

The Kings and the Reign practice at the same rink. It's not like Blake was in Ontario every day, and completely out of touch with the Kings. When Hextall was the assistant GM did he move to Manchester, or stay in LA? I think we can surmise how Lombardi delegates responsibility to the assistant GM, and the assistant GMs primary duties are with the Kings.

You can now return to your regular programming and algorithm and defend this management team to the bitter end.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

Agreed plus LA lost to the Western conference champs by 4 goals, in a series LA could not buy a goal in. Then LA adds Kovalchuk and hopefully Vilardi in the off season and you have to like their chances of being better.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Agreed plus LA lost to the Western conference champs by 4 goals, in a series LA could not buy a goal in. Then LA adds Kovalchuk and hopefully Vilardi in the off season and you have to like their chances of being better.

Only took an MVP caliber, anomaly season from #11, a probable last gasp from Brown and the back-up goalie to win every game to get them into a WC spot where they scored three goals in four games.

Outside of that, there is the three years prior which were completely ignored.

Really though, it is spilled milk so I'm all about Blake digging himself out of this since I want the Kings to be legit contenders again. I don't want to have to bring this stuff up but can't help myself when the praise being heaped on Blake is a little over the top when looking at the full picture.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Yet Blake supposedly knew enough to sell AEG a line of BS about the roster being a Stanley Cup contender? No, he either knew or he didn't, or he misjudged the situation.

The Kings and the Reign practice at the same rink. It's not like Blake was in Ontario every day, and completely out of touch with the Kings. When Hextall was the assistant GM did he move to Manchester, or stay in LA? I think we can surmise how Lombardi delegates responsibility to the assistant GM, and the assistant GMs primary duties are with the Kings.

You can now return to your regular programming and algorithm and defend this management team to the bitter end.

So now it was JUST blake that sold AEG? Again, it wasn't a hard sell, #1 defensive team in the league, where defense wins championships, adding needed scoring, needed kids to push up and through, didn't happened, needed the defense to be the same, didn't happen, needed the compete level there, didn't happen,

Yet your happy ass thinks all that is foreseeable? It's like you don't know what sport is.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
This is not a ringing endorsement. The Kings have won one playoff game in five seasons. That tells you everything you need to know about the long term trend of this roster. So they managed to get swept in the 1st round losing by a total of 4 goals, it doesn't change the long term trend. The series against Vegas was a faint blip on the radar screen. An illusion, a shadow of things long past.

Reactions: BigKing

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
So now it was JUST blake that sold AEG? Again, it wasn't a hard sell, #1 defensive team in the league, where defense wins championships, adding needed scoring, needed kids to push up and through, didn't happened, needed the defense to be the same, didn't happen, needed the compete level there, didn't happen,

Yet your happy ass thinks all that is foreseeable? It's like you don't know what sport is.
Waste. Of. Time.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Funny thing, I would have kept Pearson over Toffoli going into this season, and was hoping the Kings would have been able to pitch Toffoli for a higher pick.

There are times where people DO unfairly judge action or inaction based on unreasonable expectations. However, that's not the case here. Blake had a full evaluation season where the players got the coach they wanted, and they were swept in the first round while scoring all of 2 goals.

Going into the season, he:
- brought in Kovalchuk
- kept a defensive, conservative coach and told him to open it up
- kept a core that was built for grinding, board play and told them to open it up
- made no major core changes until November, where one player was moved for a faster player... and there were apparently no plans to keep the faster player which would fit into his paradigm.

Blake absolutely deserves criticism for not making more changes to the coaching or player personnel to build towards how he expects his team to be. Like the players, he just said the words that everyone needs to play better but has done very little to work on himself.

I don't think it's apathy, but when it's been nothing but words since 2017, the message of expecting everyone else to take it upon themself is visible with the on-ice product we see now.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Funny thing, I would have kept Pearson over Toffoli going into this season, and was hoping the Kings would have been able to pitch Toffoli for a higher pick.

There are times where people DO unfairly judge action or inaction based on unreasonable expectations. However, that's not the case here. Blake had a full evaluation season where the players got the coach they wanted, and they were swept in the first round while scoring all of 2 goals.

Going into the season, he:
- brought in Kovalchuk
- kept a defensive, conservative coach and told him to open it up
- kept a core that was built for grinding, board play and told them to open it up
- made no major core changes until November, where one player was moved for a faster player... and there were apparently no plans to keep the faster player which would fit into his paradigm.

Blake absolutely deserves criticism for not making more changes to the coaching or player personnel to build towards how he expects his team to be. Like the players, he just said the words that everyone needs to play better but has done very little to work on himself.

I don't think it's apathy, but when it's been nothing but words since 2017, the message of expecting everyone else to take it upon themself is visible with the on-ice product we see now.

Kept a defensive core that was #1 in the league, last year, not sure how that can be viewed as a negative, but some people are.
Brought in Kovalchuk, that was a 50/50 but spent no assets while presumably adding to scoring,
Not sure what core was built for grinding board play, Kopitar, Carter, Toffoli, Kempe, Brown, Iafallo, Kovalchuk, are all SKILLED players who can play north and south,

Why do people think players can only play one style of game?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Only took an MVP caliber, anomaly season from #11, a probable last gasp from Brown and the back-up goalie to win every game to get them into a WC spot where they scored three goals in four games.

Outside of that, there is the three years prior which were completely ignored.

Really though, it is spilled milk so I'm all about Blake digging himself out of this since I want the Kings to be legit contenders again. I don't want to have to bring this stuff up but can't help myself when the praise being heaped on Blake is a little over the top when looking at the full picture.

My post was overly positive yes, yours is overly negative. Truth is in the middle.
Do you think this team is honestly as bad this year as they have been this year? Brown is proving it was more than a 1 year "last gasp". Kopitar is not going to put up career numbers every year but he not going to be as bad as he has been this year either. Carter was largely not available last year so one could have easily thought him alone should increase LA's scoring however LA also brought in Kovalchuk. Carter I am very concerned about moving forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad