Confirmed Trade: [LAK/TOR] Jake Muzzin for 2019 1st round pick, Sean Durzi, and Carl Grundstrom - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
The leafs can move several guys to free up cap space in the offseason.
The list includes muzzin. If the leafs just want to use him for this year they can move him in the offseason and recoup most of what they gave up.

That is not true. Who will you move to save space beside Brown or Zaitsev?

Moving Muzzin it the offseason would be the dumbest thing ever after paying all that for him to upgrade the defense. The idea is to contend next year as well, not tank.

The only realistic solution I see is to get rid of Zaitsev contract. Even if they manage to dump Brown without taking salary back and we assume the cap rises at 83 M, they only are 2,1$ under the cap and still have not signed Kapanen.

Attachments

• Capture d'écran 2019-01-28 22.49.25.png
    Capture d'écran 2019-01-28 22.49.25.png
    265.6 KB · Views: 36

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
He has a better points per game than Dermott or Hainsey
If we are comparaing Stralman to Dermott and Hainsey now, that would be awesome as a leafs fan. Dude was considered a #2 a couple years ago.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
ok TWO THINGS GUYS, make this embedded for all daft minded people to see

from LA's perspective, it never cost them a thing to get Muzzin, they didn't draft him or trade for him, they just signed him and developed a career... he's like a Carl Gunnarsson, Alex Iafallo, Fabian Brunnstrom, Panarin, Marchessault, type (the list goes on)... so there's no risk in acquiring three prospects, it's solid asset management. The risk was to keep Muzzin and have his play deteriorate to a point where he'd have no value anymore

from TO's perspective, people that are "concerned" for their cap... have you guys not noticed that there's no team ever that surpasses the cap? Meaning they f***ing manage... it's not a big deal, LA buried Mike Richards' contract (skillfully mind you) and TO once traded David Clarkson (to name a few examples), i think NHL teams aren't as worried about the cap as some fans on here

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Moving Muzzin it the offseason would be the dumbest thing ever after paying all that for him to upgrade the defense. The idea is to contend next year as well, not tank.

The only realistic solution I see is to get rid of Zaitsev contract. Even if they manage to dump Brown without taking salary back and we assume the cap rises at 83 M, they only are 2,1$ under the cap and still have not signed Kapanen.

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 10.21.54 PM.png

This is what I have. You forgot to put Horton on LTIR.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018

I think you need to take a deep breath and take another look.
There are several guys that can be moved.
The leafs have one guy with a no move clause- john Tavares.
If you want to look at a roster that is difficult to shake up, take a look at Tampa. I think yzerman included no movement clauses with every offer he made.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Exactly. Even dumping Brown would put them only 70 000$ under the cap, which is not a good situation. Dumping Zaitsev is the obvious choice.

Could always do a few hockey trades involving Kapanen/Johnson/Kadri. Dumping Zaitsev if the price is right. There are options.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I think you need to take a deep breath and take another look.
There are several guys that can be moved.
The leafs have one guy with a no move clause- john Tavares.
If you want to look at a roster that is difficult to shake up, take a look at Tampa. I think yzerman included no movement clauses with every offer he made.

But the idea is to keep the roster intact in order to compete. It would not make any sense to downgrade (ex: trade Kadri for picks, trade Kapanen for picks) players with significant salaries in a year you want to contend. The logical choice is to part with Zaitsev.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
The obvious solution is trading Marleau back to SJ after they payout his bonuses. Leafs could also retain a few mil if needed.

SJ has their own cap problems, especially if they sign Karlsson. I don’t think they’d have any desire to take Marleau back

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
But the idea is to keep the roster intact in order to compete. It would not make any sense to downgrade (ex: trade Kadri for picks, trade Kapanen for picks) players with significant salaries in a year you want to contend. The logical choice is to part with Zaitsev.
I think you are hoping the leafs have a problem rather then looking at it objectively. The leafs roster is loaded with talent and void of no movement clauses. They have every option available to them to navigate the cap (except moving Tavares). They also have great management and capologists and scouts. They can handle this.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
The obvious solution is trading Marleau back to SJ after they payout his bonuses. Leafs could also retain a few mil if needed.

The only problem in that scenario is that :

1- Marleau has to agree.
2- Sharks don't have the capacity to take cap space next year, especially if they succeed in keeping Karlsson. They still have to sign Pavelski, Meier, Heed, Donskoi, Ryan, (Thornton?), etc.

I keep saying Dubas needs to make room by getting rid of Zaitsev contract without taking any salary back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad