Confirmed Signing with Link: [LAK] Sean Walker signs extension (4 years, $2.65M AAV)

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Wow that's so weird. This forum is so good at telling LA fans what they need I just assumed everyone would be locked in on who Walker is.

Good deal for Walker, imo. Versatile guy can play up and down the D roster and in various situations. Having him as a 3rd pairing guy due to RD depth is a luxury. Spent some time next to Doughty and held his own for a bit, ideally would be #4-#5, but CAN drive even a 2nd pairing. Voynov-lite. Kind of a righty Martinez if folks need a reference.

Shhh keep quite if they learn about Walker or Roy they will start threads offering us a 3rd rounder and when King fans say no thanks they will tell us how the player sucks anyways. Lol

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Walker is our 2nd pairing RHD. Roy is our third pairing RHD. Walker has a stronger resume for longer period. Roy is just getting started. I value Walker higher, significantly higher.

Couldn't disagree with you more. Walker played the last half of the season with MacDermid on the 3rd pairing. Walker finished -12 after a strong first half. I'll concede some of that has to do with being paired with MacDermid, but Walker had plenty of D coverage gaffs as the season wore on. Roy played in the 2nd pairing as the season wore on. According to Kings assistant coach Trent Yawney, Roy was the best defensive player on the team last year. “He was probably, and arguably with the coaching staff, our best defenseman. I was looking for more minutes for him. He could’ve handled more minutes towards the end, getting him into the 20-range.” Roy was also voted the Kings defensive player of the year by the LA hockey media over Drew Doughty (first time in anyone's memory). Roy finished the season at +16 on a terrible team. For the season as a whole, among defensemen with at least 60 games played, Roy’s 56.0% SAT% was fourth best in the NHL, while his USAT% at 56.9% ranked second best the league with the same parameters. The Michigan Tech product was one of three defensemen (in the league) with a +200 differential in shot attempts and a +250 differential in unblocked shot attempts.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kings fans, between Walker and Roy, who do you prefer and why?

Roy, but Walker is underrated in his own right. Roy is mostly quietly effective, a shutdown D who isn't particularly excellent at any one thing with some underrated offensive instincts and a pretty hard, quick shot. Walker is a bit more of a puck lugger and offensive mover, more agile skater, sneakier wrister, and imo a little more versatile. But on this year alone, Roy would be a complementary #2-#3, Walker more of a #4-5 imho.

That being said Walker had a stint next to Doughty playing 20+ minutes and looked really good doing that too, so next year is huge for both guys cementing who they are with consistency.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Roy and Walker are very different.

I'd consider Walker to be the more mobile and offensive D while Roy is more of a shut down guy.

They're both currently #4/5 with potential of being a #3.

Reactions: funky

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm not really sold on Walker and think that it's an overpayment for essentially one good season. That's going to happen when you buy UFA years, though, and Blake must've felt that he had to do it because the organization is really hurting for defensemen, especially in the 25-29 age range, and will be for the next 4 years. Also, I suppose that the deal would've gone to Forbort, otherwise, so there's that.

Couldn't disagree with you more. Walker played the last half of the season with MacDermid on the 3rd pairing. Walker finished -12 after a strong first half. I'll concede some of that has to do with being paired with MacDermid, but Walker had plenty of D coverage gaffs as the season wore on. Roy played in the 2nd pairing as the season wore on. According to Kings assistant coach Trent Yawney, Roy was the best defensive player on the team last year. “He was probably, and arguably with the coaching staff, our best defenseman. I was looking for more minutes for him. He could’ve handled more minutes towards the end, getting him into the 20-range.” Roy was also voted the Kings defensive player of the year by the LA hockey media over Drew Doughty (first time in anyone's memory). Roy finished the season at +16 on a terrible team. For the season as a whole, among defensemen with at least 60 games played, Roy’s 56.0% SAT% was fourth best in the NHL, while his USAT% at 56.9% ranked second best the league with the same parameters. The Michigan Tech product was one of three defensemen (in the league) with a +200 differential in shot attempts and a +250 differential in unblocked shot attempts.

Roy was sheltered. I can post the graph if I need to, but he had the most offensive zone starts and faced the weakest quality of competition of all of the team's defensemen after MacDermid. He still did very well and deserves credit for that, but we shouldn't get carried away, IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rorschach

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Nobody heard of Martinez or Muzzin really when LA signed them to their long term deals. Defensemen can be tricky and when you find an excellent skating solid #5 with 3-4 potential signing him cheaply for a decent amount of time can pay off handsomely. This deal will be a steal in a year or two.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Nobody heard of Martinez or Muzzin really when LA signed them to their long term deals. Defensemen can be tricky and when you find an excellent skating solid #5 with 3-4 potential signing him cheaply for a decent amount of time can pay off handsomely. This deal will be a steal in a year or two.

Martinez and Muzzin both got their long-term deals in the Summer of 2015. Everyone in the league knew all about them by that point, since Martinez had been on two Cup-winning teams (and, memorably, clinched the second one) and Muzzin had been on one and was Doughty's partner. Martinez had also been with the team for over 5 seasons and Muzzin for over 3, and neither had made more than $1.1M per year. Remember that Lombardi was super stingy and wouldn't reward players before they won anything. Walker is getting 2.5x the money per year of either for being on the team less than half as long and not winning anything. You could be right that it'll pay off and maybe even be a steal, but it's a very different path than Martinez and Muzzin took to get their long-term deals.

Alec Martinez - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Jake Muzzin - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Last edited:

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Great deal for the Kings (f***!).
So funny to read these replies that show utter ignorance.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Roy ainec

The guy who said walker is significantly higher is completely out to lunch
So, you feel from a small sample size and playing a limited and sheltered role during garbage time (mostly when the Kings had no shot making the playoffs), that Roy is significantly more valuable than RHD PMD Walker? (Both are young RHD).
Then you’re saying you would pay Roy at least 3 to 3.5 mil per year for four years if you had to re-sign him today?

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

Roy, but Walker is underrated in his own right. Roy is mostly quietly effective, a shutdown D who isn't particularly excellent at any one thing with some underrated offensive instincts and a pretty hard, quick shot. Walker is a bit more of a puck lugger and offensive mover, more agile skater, sneakier wrister, and imo a little more versatile. But on this year alone, Roy would be a complementary #2-#3, Walker more of a #4-5 imho.

That being said Walker had a stint next to Doughty playing 20+ minutes and looked really good doing that too, so next year is huge for both guys cementing who they are with consistency.

Interesting discussion on this page.

Just out of curiosity, do you guys think Rob Blake would entertain offers for Roy this offseason? And if so, what would his price be?

As a defensively solid RHD with a really low caphit at $700k he'd be a pretty nice addition for a number of teams.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Interesting discussion on this page.

Just out of curiosity, do you guys think Rob Blake would entertain offers for Roy this offseason? And if so, what would his price be?

As a defensively solid RHD with a really low caphit at $700k he'd be a pretty nice addition for a number of teams.

I can't imagine he would, as we've been trying to fill the "Voynov hole" since 2015, and we just now sorted out the right side of our D with no one really in the system close (Jordan Spence few years out at least, Durzi probably still a year or two, Austin Strand is a longshot). But you're right, he'd be a valuable add at that price, definitely would take a premium, especially this year. I honestly can't think of a remotely fair offer, this would be a 'make me move' scenario. Same with Walker but to a slightly lesser degree.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I can't imagine he would, as we've been trying to fill the "Voynov hole" since 2015, and we just now sorted out the right side of our D with no one really in the system close (Jordan Spence few years out at least, Durzi probably still a year or two, Austin Strand is a longshot). But you're right, he'd be a valuable add at that price, definitely would take a premium, especially this year. I honestly can't think of a remotely fair offer, this would be a 'make me move' scenario. Same with Walker but to a slightly lesser degree.
Would 2021 COL 2nd + Mutala for Roy (50% retained) make you move?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Seems like a solid deal for the kings and a horrible deal for walker. Guy seems to be a #5 with potential to be a 3-4

Walker is going to be 26 in Nov, and was never drafted. He spent a full year in the AHL on an AHL contract. He went to Bowling Green, same place Blake(and Nelson Emerson, also employed by the Kings) played college hockey, so it might've been a situation where lets give a kid from our old school who can skate a little a shot. Not sure Walker was ever thinking he'd be making $2m per season, let alone $3.35m in the last year of the deal.

Plus he's been on a bad and irrelevant team. You never know how players will play when they get into actual competitive environments at the pro level. For a guy like him to get the security of a 4 year contract, I'm not sure you can call that horrible for him. What was his option? He was an RFA.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Would 2021 COL 2nd + Mutala for Roy (50% retained) make you move?

I wouldn't even blink, sorry. LA needs more blue chip, not more depth, we're going to be scraping the contract limit as-is and with so many picks this year and next that wouldn't really move the needle imo. It's not an unfair offer value wise in a vacuum though.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Walker is going to be 26 in Nov, and was never drafted. He spent a full year in the AHL on an AHL contract. He went to Bowling Green, same place Blake(and Nelson Emerson, also employed by the Kings) played college hockey, so it might've been a situation where lets give a kid from our old school who can skate a little a shot. Not sure Walker was ever thinking he'd be making $2m per season, let alone $3.35m in the last year of the deal.

Plus he's been on a bad and irrelevant team. You never know how players will play when they get into actual competitive environments at the pro level. For a guy like him to get the security of a 4 year contract, I'm not sure you can call that horrible for him. What was his option? He was an RFA.

Also a really good nuanced point. Never know if a guy will melt under the pressure of team expectations rather than being free on a shit squad.

He acquitted himself well next to Doughty for a while though so hopefully he'll have another good contract after this one.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I wouldn't even blink, sorry. LA needs more blue chip, not more depth, we're going to be scraping the contract limit as-is and with so many picks this year and next that wouldn't really move the needle imo. It's not an unfair offer value wise in a vacuum though.
How about something like COL 2021 1st + prospect for Roy + LAK 2021 3rd? Similar deal to the Goodrow to Tampa deal.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Kings fans, between Walker and Roy, who do you prefer and why?
This is like Muzzin vs. Martinez.

Muzzin like Walker is prone to making mistakes. Marty & Roy are worse offensively but more steady in their own end.

At first this was an easy choice but Roy came up big in the end. I also prefered Martinez over Muzzin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rorschach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad