Confirmed Signing with Link: [LAK] D Mikey Anderson signs extension with the Kings (8 years, $4.125M AAV)

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Hmm strange

I expected a bridge deal anywhere from $3M to max. $4M. Than he signed for slightly over $4M for years to come.

Reminds me of Willie Mitchell without the stick.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Can he now please lose the stupid first name?

Hearing 'Dougie Hamilton' during broadcasts has irked me for years (lol)

I understand if players/friends use these types of names for one another, as that's a personal/private context - but from a professional context, referring to a grown-ass men as 'Dougie' or "Mikey' during the course of a broadcast just comes across as too juvenile-sounding for me.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Very decent deal, both for the Kings and him. He's in a good situation and these purely defensive guys usually don't get the big bucks outside of maybe Vlasic so it's a win win for both parties. If Clarke pans out as a Doughty replacement they got a sick first pair for a long time.

Reactions: funky

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
With this low aav, and if he becomes a permanent top 4 d man, this is going to be a huge steal of a contract with the cap going to sky rocket in the next 3+ years

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh
Crosschecking someone in front of the net while a shot is coming in (triggered???? LOL!!) is a funny thing to brag about but regardless hes a good player and around 4M seems to be the consistent rate for defensive defensemen who dont really drive offense or put up counting stats. Lot of folks mentioning Samuelsson and that seems like a pretty good comp. Interestingly seems like the going rate for these sorts of guys hasnt moved much over the years because Dumoulin and Marcus Pettersson also got longish extensions for similar AAV

• Haha
Reactions: YP44

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I knew he’d get a carbon copy of the Samuelsson deal as soon as Adams got him signed. Mikey has been an absolute stud on the top pair with Doughty, and he’s looked good in the past with other players in our system like Spence.

I haven't been following this guy too much and I guess I missed the hype train.

Who has his main defensive partner been, and does he face top competition?
He plays with Doughty on the top pair and faces some of the toughest competition in the league. He’s a stud and fits perfectly with Drew. I think they’ve been around 55% in controlling play share since the start of last season. His numbers away from Doughty are also great as Drew missed the entire second half of last season. He’s 1st unit PK as well.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I knew he’d get a carbon copy of the Samuelsson deal as soon as Adams got him signed. Mikey has been an absolute stud on the top pair with Doughty, and he’s looked good in the past with other players in our system like Spence.

He plays with Doughty on the top pair and faces some of the toughest competition in the league. He’s a stud and fits perfectly with Drew. I think they’ve been around 55% in controlling play share since the start of last season. His numbers away from Doughty are also great as Drew missed the entire second half of last season. He’s 1st unit PK as well.

I think this was the true litmus test. He didn't look one Iota different without Doughty. Maybe angrier, but who wasn't.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm not as high on him as others are. He's always been paired with Doughty and has always struggled without him.

Since 2020-21:
mikey20-23.jpg

Just last season, when Doughty was often injured:
mikey21-22.jpg

His Corsi then dropped further to 46.1% in the playoff series with Edmonton that Doughty missed all of. It's been only 47% without him this season.

Like Forbort before him, he looks good next to Doughty, but average at best once you separate them. As long as nothing changes, it's all good, but things are bound to change, as they did with Forbort. Eventually, he may be moved down to the 2nd pair, where he probably belongs, or Doughty will begin to decline and Anderson may start to look like a much more average player with a lot of term left. Of course, he's only 23, so he may well improve by then and start to hold his own. I hope so. He seems like a good kid.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I'm not as high on him as others are. He's always been paired with Doughty and has always struggled without him.

Since 2020-21:
View attachment 650870

View attachment 650871

His Corsi then dropped further to 46.1% in the playoff series with Edmonton that Doughty missed all of. It's been only 47% without him this season.

Like Forbort before him, he looks good next to Doughty, but average at best once you separate them. As long as nothing changes, it's all good, but things are bound to change, as they did with Forbort. Eventually, he may be moved down to the 2nd pair, where he probably belongs, or Doughty will begin to decline and Anderson may start to look like a much more average player with a lot of term left. Of course, he's only 23, so he may well improve by then and start to hold his own. I hope so. He seems like a good kid.
Forbort never looked good next to Doughty. He didnt look good until he matured as a player at some point in Boston. Last year even a lot of Boston fans wanted him gone.
Anderson is much better on the Kings than Forbort ever was but he had the luxury of coming onto a team that was tanking with no expectations.
Forbort came into a post cup atmosphere where we were expecting him as a high draft pick to be prime Willie Mitchell. He never was good but you could see that with his size hed eventually settle into the league.

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017

Since 2020-21:
View attachment 650870

View attachment 650871

Of course you're not

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Forbort never looked good next to Doughty. He didnt look good until he matured as a player at some point in Boston. Last year even a lot of Boston fans wanted him gone.
Anderson is much better on the Kings than Forbort ever was but he had the luxury of coming onto a team that was tanking with no expectations.
Forbort came into a post cup atmosphere where we were expecting him as a high draft pick to be prime Willie Mitchell. He never was good but you could see that with his size hed eventually settle into the league.
Not true, Forbort looked just as good as Anderson until he hurt his back.

Reactions: Reaper45

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
He looked good enough for many fans to praise him and call him a top-pairing defenseman. I remember the arguments.
Please excuse me for doing this, but I went back and looked at some of your posts from that time.
Carter, Pearson, Nolan, Brown, Dowd, Forbort, and Gravel are playing great hockey. I do not base this on points or stats, just by watching. Whether they score or not they are at least playing hard and creating time and space for their teammates and are bringing energy on a daily basis.
In your later posts, you were very critical of him, but even you praised him early on. Over time, you soured on him, as did most Kings fans, but that's my point. The fans are praising Anderson now, but will they sour on him and that contract over time? Who knows.

Reactions: Schmooley

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
He looked good enough for many fans to praise him and call him a top-pairing defenseman. I remember the arguments.
Please excuse me for doing this, but I went back and looked at some of your posts from that time.

In your later posts, you were very critical of him, but even you praised him early on. Over time, you soured on him, as did most Kings fans, but that's my point. The fans are praising Anderson now, but will they sour on him and that contract over time? Who knows.
I do not remember ever liking him but looks like I am wrong now. I dont remember Gravel playing too well either. That era if someone was playing hard they were good. The team was pretty lifeless for a while there.

Reactions: Osprey

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
DI'm not as high on him as others are. He's always been paired with Doughty and has always struggled without him.

Since 2020-21:
View attachment 650870

View attachment 650871

The dropoff from a Drew Doughty - Mikey Anderson pairing to a Mikey Anderson - Toby Bjornfot 1st pairing is pretty massive, especially for a kid, no surprise there.

His most common partners aside from Doughty during that time are Toby, Durzi, Walker, Roy.

Holding that against the future of a 20-22 year old shutdown dman on a team emerging from the lottery seems shortsighted weighted against his improvements, especially when he suddenly ended up one of the 'key' guys during a playoff chase/playoffs with everyone hurt and rolling a D lineup that had mostly early 20 year olds or AHLers in it (Kings were chasing the playoffs with lineups like Wolanin, Durzi, Spence, Maatta, etc).

I mean part of it is also that yes, Doughty is also that freaking good, but this forum isn't ready for that conversation, either.

Last edited:

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
I haven't been following this guy too much and I guess I missed the hype train.

Who has his main defensive partner been, and does he face top competition?
He plays on top pair with Doughty and faces the top line game in and game out. He is a stud defensively and often frustrates other teams top guys.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
With this low aav, and if he becomes a permanent top 4 d man, this is going to be a huge steal of a contract with the cap going to sky rocket in the next 3+ years
My man he has played top pair for a few years already. He became a permanent top 4 guy a while ago and that’s not going to change for years.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

David Lunch

Apr 11, 2018
Hearing 'Dougie Hamilton' during broadcasts has irked me for years (lol)

I understand if players/friends use these types of names for one another, as that's a personal/private context - but from a professional context, referring to a grown-ass men as 'Dougie' or "Mikey' during the course of a broadcast just comes across as too juvenile-sounding for me.
As someone officially named “Thomas”, sorry, I’m Tommy, and you’re just gonna have to deal with it! (For context, I’m 35).

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
Watched a decent number of LA games early in the year and wasn't particularly impressed. Basically the definition of stone hands but he seems to be shoe horned into being the King's Muzzin this time around and I just don't see it. His stats away from Doughty are pretty rough too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad