Confirmed Trade: [LAK/CGY] Oscar Fantenberg for conditional 2020 4th round pick

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The thing with Fantenberg is that it seems the Kings finally developed him into an NHLer...and now off he goes :laugh:

But yeah he doesn't do one thing particularly well. Good first pass, rarely a glass-and-out guy. Actually an above-average skater, but he won't chance skating the puck out of trouble, he'll make the safe play. I think that's the big thing I noticed about the difference in his play when he was a fill-in and now--before he couldn't get into a rhythm and would make big mistakes frequently out of taking too long to think, now playing more, he's much more decisive/assertive and that's helped both his offense and defense. Actually, he does suck at physical play, big forwards run him over. Or they just cartoon villain him and stiff arm him by the forehead while he hopelessly swings for the puck.

You don't want him off the bottom pairing on a cup team, but he could fill in as a #4 for a few games.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
The thing with Fantenberg is that it seems the Kings finally developed him into an NHLer...and now off he goes :laugh:

But yeah he doesn't do one thing particularly well. Good first pass, rarely a glass-and-out guy. Actually an above-average skater, but he won't chance skating the puck out of trouble, he'll make the safe play. I think that's the big thing I noticed about the difference in his play when he was a fill-in and now--before he couldn't get into a rhythm and would make big mistakes frequently out of taking too long to think, now playing more, he's much more decisive/assertive and that's helped both his offense and defense. Actually, he does suck at physical play, big forwards run him over. Or they just cartoon villain him and stiff arm him by the forehead while he hopelessly swings for the puck.

You don't want him off the bottom pairing on a cup team, but he could fill in as a #4 for a few games.
Sounds like a good fit for us. He’ll probably cycle in for Kylington on our bottom pairing from time to time and be insurance for when injuries inevitably hit

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Sounds like a good fit for us. He’ll probably cycle in for Kylington on our bottom pairing from time to time and be insurance for when injuries inevitably hit

Actually as a trade piece that would be my only real concern for him--he doesn't seem to do well with rotating in and out of the lineup. Those are when he makes the brain fart mistakes, like when james neal invited him to be part of his poster. He'll bite on dekes. But generally speaking, yes--in theory, he's a very good fit as a versatile guy so you're not trying to plug an offensive D in as a defensive D or whatever.

Zal

Jan 12, 2009
The team that should have dumped the most , kept the most. So, who are the top-3 pick next season?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
So the Flames defense left side will be:

Giordano
Hanifin
Valimaki
Kylington
Fantenberg

A 4th round pick sounds like a lot for insurance on the left side. No problems with Fantenberg, although I really don't know much about him, but to me it just sounds like an overpay on guy who will most likely only play if two of the players listed above him get hurt.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Giordano
Hanifin
Valimaki
Kylington
Fantenberg

A 4th round pick sounds like a lot for insurance on the left side. No problems with Fantenberg, although I really don't know much about him, but to me it just sounds like an overpay on guy who will most likely only play if two of the players listed above him get hurt.
You should probably move Vali down to 5th and Fanta could easily win the job from Kylington IMO, especially if we are playing a heavy team

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009

Giordano
Hanifin
Valimaki
Kylington
Fantenberg

Yeah I don’t really get this deal. It’s only a 4th but I don’t see how he really fits. I can’t see him in the lineup on any kind of regular basis.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Ca;hery doesn't really care about position. Just play Hockey.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Reading this thread he basically sounds like a Tyler Wotherspoon that got a chance.

Or a more physical, stay at home Brett Kulak

Stylistically, it sounds like he's somewhere in between these guys value, roster space and talent wise. Maybe he's even what we hope AOM will end up being. I don't know. I just can't figure out who his style reminds me of with the limited info available on the guy.

But I also feel like some of the gripes in this thread about this guy are shades of Jokkipakka. I remember one off season when some fans were penciling Jokkipakka as a #4 (as he did some spot duty in that role and did decently for a few games, but horrible as he played more there) and some fans flipped out saying it was insane to slot a #7 into the #4 role.

I really don't understand this trade and I still don't but management must see something we don't. I maybe get this if Fantenberg replaces Prout as the #7 cannon fodder after this season (Prout makes 800k, I think Fantenberg may settle for closer to league minimum), but if it's not for next season I really don't completely understand for this season as we seem to have a ton of bodies bumping into each other.

Treliving always seems to find value (no matter how insignificant it is) in these nothing trades and comes out ahead in an NHL games sort of comparison. For instance, he turned a 3rd into Brandon Bollig. Gripe all we want, 116 NHL games is still likely more NHL games than what most of those 3rd rounders will ever play in the NHL, let alone a 4th. Fantenberg has played 73 NHL games so far. If we can get 73 more out of this guy over a period of time, that's still a win, no matter how small it is. I'll trust his judgment on these, "WHO?" trades.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Yeah I don’t really get this deal. It’s only a 4th but I don’t see how he really fits. I can’t see him in the lineup on any kind of regular basis.

I don't think a regular basis is the idea, just extra depth.

Remember the Flames cup run in '04? They had so many D injuries in the 2nd round they had a guy come up that played his only 2 NHL games ever in that series. That type of thing is what this trade is trying to avoid

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Fantenberg plays both sides, in case you need help on the right.

Really doubt he'll see time on the right ahead of Brodie, Hamonic, Stone, Andersson, or Prout. I think he was brought in to play the left in case a playoff team is isolating our All-Rookie 3rd pair(s) which we've rolled pretty much all season (successfully mind you).

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
leslie-knope-trash-present.gif
Respect for a parks and rec fan :thumbu:

SlimCharles

Kings & Sabres
Dec 7, 2011
Los Angeles
Armchair GMs in here who have likely never watched more than a game or two, acting like a 4th has value.
Seriously, Fantenberg will very likely be a better player than whoever the Kings decide to draft in the 4th round. As a team that doesn't have many NHL defensemen left I was kind of hoping we kept him. Not a huge deal though, like others said he's a bottom pairing guy at best.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
Seriously, Fantenberg will very likely be a better player than whoever the Kings decide to draft in the 4th round. As a team that doesn't have many NHL defensemen left I was kind of hoping we kept him. Not a huge deal though, like others said he's a bottom pairing guy at best.

He will probably be available to re-sign next season. Unless he comes in and does an exceptional job, Flames are probably just renting him as insurance for the playoffs in case injuries hit the defensive corps. MAYBE the Flames re-sign him, but as of now it is more likely that he becomes a UFA this upcoming off-season.

Reactions: SlimCharles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad