Confirmed Trade: [LAK/CGY] Oscar Fantenberg for conditional 2020 4th round pick

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Lesson learned - Kings fans are inept at answering simple questions.

dude he's a bottom-pairing defenseman. there's no part of his game that's a big weakness. there's no part of his game that's a big strength. he's a solid bottom-pairing defender. he's not a big guy, he's not particularly fast, he's not a shutdown defender, he's pretty good at moving the puck, he seems to take wrist shots from the point when he has the opportunity. he's just not a great defenseman. but he's not a bad defenseman either. he's boring, and sometimes that's a good thing on the bottom pair. he doesn't have a weakness, but he doesn't have a strength either.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Lesson learned - Kings fans are inept at answering simple questions.
New lesson- read the posts before posting. There's a few "solid" comments. What else you want? He's not flashy, he's not fast but he's a good overall bottom pairing dman.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
CapFriendly @CapFriendly
Condition: The 4th RD pick becomes a 3rd RD pick in 2020 if the #Flames reach the conference final, and Fantenberg plays in at least 50% of those playoff games.

Aug 3, 2010
dude he's a bottom-pairing defenseman. there's no part of his game that's a big weakness. there's no part of his game that's a big strength. he's a solid bottom-pairing defender. he's not a big guy, he's not particularly fast, he's not a shutdown defender, he's pretty good at moving the puck, he seems to take wrist shots from the point when he has the opportunity. he's just not a great defenseman. but he's not a bad defenseman either. he's boring, and sometimes that's a good thing on the bottom pair. he doesn't have a weakness, but he doesn't have a strength either.
Exactly what I was looking for. As long as he's not super slow and has some semblance of puck-moving ability, a "conditional 2020 4th" is more than fair.

Calgary makes a solid move to shore up 6/7/8 depth with no guarantee on Michael Stone's return.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Nondescript depth guy. He doesn't really do anything. He can eat a few minutes, but the more he's out there, the more likely he'll make a mistake than make a game winning play. If you have to play him for a game, you can survive.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Go easy.

It's from 2017, but based on this TSN article, there's more than a 90% chance that the guy taken with the 4th rounder Calgary just traded doesn't even play multiple NHL games:

https://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-nhl-draft-pick-value-1.786131

So even if you're not thrilled with the defenseman, odds are good that he's a better player than the pick would produce.

The Flames and 4ths is a thing though. We just traded the next Gaudreau or Brodie.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
The Flames and 4ths is a thing though. We just traded the next Gaudreau or Brodie.
Yeah I'd almost prefer if they Flames traded their third lol. They seem to always use the 4th round well, aside from the guys you mentioned the four guys they've drafted in the 4th round the last 2 years really interest me so far as well

Reactions: InfinityIggy

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Jesus Christ, a fourth round pick for someone who likely doesn’t play in our lineup that can be a 3rd?! Knew we were gonna overpay for a veteran presence, and this guy isn’t even that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad