Player Discussion: Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhlpro

Nov 12, 2015
Peg City
Wheeler should just hand over the top line spot and be done with this nonsense! Laine is a top line player and should be up there playing with your best C no questions asked!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Just a reminder about what Laine actually said about usage during his last contract negotiation (Sep 2019: Laine apologizes to Little for how comments to Finnish media were interpreted).

"When you’re having contract negotiations, one thing always is who are you playing with. With the merits I have, somewhere else I’d have an opportunity to play with the best players. Everybody who understands hockey knows that. "There are top lines and then there is our line. But I play with the guys I’m told to play."

Reactions: roccerfeller

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
If the Jets fire Maurice, it would be a catastrophe if they brought in a coach that coddled Laine and didn't expect players to at least come to camp in top shape and work at their game.

I think a lot of Jets' fans don't realize how most top coaches would deal with a player like Laine, who publicly threw Little under the bus and hasn't come to camp in top condition once (I know that because I've watched all of the on-ice fitness tests, and Laine struggled badly every year).
I'm not suggesting a new coach should "coddle" Laine. What I am suggesting is the head coach needs a fresh start there's too much history and baggage with Maurice. A new head coach will have no loyalties to anyone and will set the lineup based on what's best for the team. I think players would respect that. Talent usually rises to the top so in that case Laine would likely be in the top line over Wheeler, based on merit.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Just a reminder about what Laine actually said about usage during his last contract negotiation (Sep 2019: Laine apologizes to Little for how comments to Finnish media were interpreted).

"When you’re having contract negotiations, one thing always is who are you playing with. With the merits I have, somewhere else I’d have an opportunity to play with the best players. Everybody who understands hockey knows that. "There are top lines and then there is our line. But I play with the guys I’m told to play."
He maybe shouldn't have said this publicly, but it's the truth.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
He said it directly, and immediately had to apologize to Little.

A good teammate doesn't do that. Period.

Honestly, do you think Laine has improved much or at all in the 4 years he's been with the Jets?
he didn't call little a slouch at all, he apologized because the hack that wrote that twisted his own narrative.
yes he has improved his overall game, is it perfect, far from it but he's showed a willingness to work on it.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm not suggesting a new coach should "coddle" Laine. What I am suggesting is the head coach needs a fresh start there's too much history and baggage with Maurice. A new head coach will have no loyalties to anyone and will set the lineup based on what's best for the team. I think players would respect that. Talent usually rises to the top so in that case Laine would likely be in the top line over Wheeler, based on merit.
Well, if Maurice is doing what's "best for the team", then the best RW for Scheifele is Wheeler, based on performance.

Turn it around the other way - why should Scheifele be stuck with an inferior RW?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He maybe shouldn't have said this publicly, but it's the truth.
It's a really bad mindset to have in a team sport. I realize it's not uncommon, but it's a strong indication where a player's priorities lie. He's going to put himself first, and team goals next. That's the message.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Well, if Maurice is doing what's "best for the team", then the best RW for Scheifele is Wheeler, based on performance.

Turn it around the other way - why should Scheifele be stuck with an inferior RW?
I'm clearly saying Laine is better than Wheeler. It's Maurice and his culture that allows Wheeler and Scheif to call the shots on who they play with. I guarantee Wheeler would support any new coach who was brought in after Maurice is fired; it's what athletes do.

Reactions: Mbraunm

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I agree. Wheeler was trash in the playoffs without Scheifele. At this point in their career, Laine is the better player over Wheeler.
upload_2020-10-15_21-1-26.png

Reactions: JetsFan815

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It makes me very sad to see it come to this. He’s a great young player who was starting to round out his game. He will be a force and key playoff contributor for years to come.
I don’t like that Roslo and now Laine both want out. It has always been a vet friendly room where accountability isn’t the same for all and I wonder about that culture. I like Maurice more then most but him and Wheeler seem to be driving out a lot of our young players. Chipman must know about this? Who’s next wanting out, Ehlers? I hope not!
I hope we can keep him, but I can’t see it at this point and now Chevy seems to be handcuffed on a great return.

Yea the Captain and coach have to own a huge part of this. Veteran Leaders need to build bridges not ostracize. Blake was a risky choice for Captain because he has always been REALLY intense. I haven’t been a fan of some of the changes in Scheif personality either. Is he learning the wrong lessons?

Laine has been part of the problem too but the right leaders could have nipped this in the bud.

Reactions: Mooche and buggs

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
It's a really bad mindset to have in a team sport. I realize it's not uncommon, but it's a strong indication where a player's priorities lie. He's going to put himself first, and team goals next. That's the message.
Everyone knows Laine is better than Wheeler.

It's like having an incompetent boss at work, a boss who you know you could do a much better job. Eventually you're going to leave and find a better, higher paying job. Who loses out here? The organization.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Laine made very clear hints during his last contract hold-out that he felt that his contract value was constrained by having to play with a slouch like Little as his C.

Imagine saying that publicly about a respected teammate like Little. Sounded to me like he was being selfish, and I'd bet that the rest of the Jets players felt the same way, even though Little was pure class in the aftermath.

I agree.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I have no idea what those stats mean. But I know what my eyes tell me when I watch the game
My eyes tell me that Wheeler is more effective with Scheifele.

Do your eyes tell you that Scheifele's line outscored their opposition when Wheeler was on RW, but were outscored by their opposition when Laine played on RW? That's what the stats "mean", among other things. The thing about hockey is that the team that scores the most goals win, so playing lines that get out-chanced and out-scored by the opposition isn't very good coaching.

Reactions: Airsmail

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I fear that we are at a point now where if they boot Maurice, the coaches boys would put the blame on Laine for forcing a coaching change

Hadn’t thought of this but yes, definitely a possibility.

And it isn’t just Laine, clearly, who has queried his usage under PoMo. There’s Trouba, and likely Buff as well, definitely Toby and now Roslo too, it appears, while there have been rumblings with Copp and Nik as well.

That’s a healthy number of players, not all of whom can be characterized as me-first types — and now, of course, Cole Perfetti, with his elite potential and his own strong opinions, waiting in the wings.

Last edited:

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
when wheeler went back to the top line is the same time demelo got put with jomo, when laine was on the top line our top pairing was jomo and poolman, not saying laine's advanced stats would have been better than wheelers but it would be closer than that chart makes it seem
Uh yes....now it’s Poolmans fault as well.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
when wheeler went back to the top line is the same time demelo got put with jomo, when laine was on the top line our top pairing was jomo and poolman, not saying laine's advanced stats would have been better than wheelers but it would be closer than that chart makes it seem
It's not like the CSW line hasn't been good in the past...

upload_2020-10-15_21-9-29.png

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
My eyes tell me that Wheeler is more effective with Scheifele.

Do your eyes tell you that Scheifele's line outscored their opposition when Wheeler was on RW, but were outscored by their opposition when Laine played on RW? That's what the stats "mean", among other things. The thing about hockey is that the team that scores the most goals win, so playing lines that get out-chanced and out-scored by the opposition isn't very good coaching.
Of course Wheeler is better with Scheifele. We agree. I stated that earlier here. Without Scheifele, Wheeler is trash. But that's not Laine's fault that Wheeler sucks without Scheif.

Last edited:
Reactions: AKAChip

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
There is a disturbing trend of young players wanting off this team because of ridiculous usage. This isn’t going to change while Maurice is here. This is a draft and develop team that can’t afford to continuously have disgruntled young assets. And for what? So that Wheeler can keep his cushy top line and top PP role? If this team had any semblance of success similar to the 17-18 season I could understand it but what is Maurice providing to this team at this point? His coaching style is entirely counterintuitive to a team that needs to cultivate young players as free agency is rarely a valid option. This whole situation makes me sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad