Laine vs Puljujarvi

Who you taking going forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
Feel like Puljujarvi is a completely different player after working through his mental demons and getting hip surgery. He always seems to be the hardest working play on the ice. He still looks a little clumsy out there but I think that happens with alot of people who are as big as he got at such a young age, when he matures a bit and as he continues to learn how to use that size he's gonna become even more of a beast. His forechecking and puck retrieval are amazing and his defensive game is outstanding. His shot and the ability to get it off seem to be his biggest downfall. Which isn't a problem because he's found a home infront of the net deflecting pucks and picking up rebounds. Don't get me wrong he has a howitzer of a shot but the accuracy has been horrible, I think this will improve once he calms down a bit as well. Even though he doesn't score alot he seems to be directly related to alot of Edmonton goals whether it's puck retrieval battles or even jaut taking up space. definitely has alot going for him and seems to be on the up and up.

Liane has an amazing shot probably one of the best in the league. He is also a fairly big boy but I don't see him using his size enough or to his advantage. If he were to bite down and become a solid hitter/ forechecker he would remind me of Ovi. His defensive game also seems to be lacking but maybe that's something he will learn in time I just feel he is lazy when his team doesn't gave possession of the puck. He has the potential and the toolbox to become a beast but right to me seems right now to be more of a one trick pony (that trick though being one of the best shots/one timers in the league elite of elite). Liane seems to me like he almost has an attitude/mental issue but I could be wrong and these can also be tempered with maturity not too concerned about it yet.

To me both these players still have a far way to go. I wanna see Puljujarvi do what he's doing more then a 30 something games before I start putting him on par with Liane. Liane has proven more over multiple years so not sure how you don't go with him here. That being said, this could easily come down to team needs and I think Puljujarvi is a much better fit for the Oilers then Liane would be.

I will say I think Puljujarvi ends up being the better overall player but as of right now it's still Liane[/QUOTE Laine would kill with the oilers,JP can hardly put up points withe best player in the league!

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
I mean maybe chemistry isn't always a for sure. I feel like Puljujarvi has added more of a cycle dimension to the mcdavid line. I feel like Liane if he played in edmonton would play more on draisaitl. I think Lianes game play would cause for the mcdavid line to get scored on more and back to relying more on scoring off the rush. It might just take away dimensions of that line.

You also have to consider Puljujarvi hasn't played with mcdavid all year. I think Puljujarvi's ability to retrieve pucks and win puck battle is huge. Mcdavid even said something along the lines that Puljujarvi is probably the best forechecker he's ever played with. Kids looking better every game and has been a great fit this year. Puljujarvi is gonna be the kind of guy you want on a team to win cups might even end up being a better overall player then Liane.

Liane might be better player but Puljujarvi is more of what the oilers need and will also cost less come contract time.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Poolparty tracks to be a poor man's Hossa, however, if Laine was in Poolpartys position he'd he dropping 60/year on one of their wings and make an oil PP even more ridiculous.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
I doubt JP will ever get more goals than Laine but I think JP could end up being a much better player overall.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
And this is a silly poll for this point in time.Try again at the end of next year

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
HFBoards must have the most fickle opinions in the world.

Its partly that but also players change. JP is not the same player he was when he played here before. That being said its not very realistic to think someone would take him over Laine at this point.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Just to be more quantitative:
They are the same age/draft, and yet Laine has 213 more points (and 122 more goals)
Laine's career season-low in points is Puljujarvi's career total (50)
Even this year, Puljujarvi gets to play with McDavid and still has fewer points

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Just to be more quantitative:
They are the same age/draft, and yet Laine has 213 more points (and 122 more goals)
Laine's career season-low in points is Puljujarvi's career total (50)
Even this year, Puljujarvi gets to play with McDavid and still has fewer points

Good thing players aren't static entities. Puljujarvi will be producing more than Laine 3 years out from now and be miles better defensively. Book it.

Guy has way more tools in his supposedly weak toolbox.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Good thing players aren't static entities. Puljujarvi will be producing more than Laine 3 years out from now and be miles better defensively. Book it.

Guy has way more tools in his supposedly weak toolbox.
Booking it.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Real question? Puljujärvi scores 0.35 points per game playing with McDavid.

How many points do you think Laine would score with McDavid?
Puljujarvi has scored at a higher rate than 0.35 since he got moved into the top 6.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Laine has more talent in his left pinky toe than Puljujarvi. This is a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad