Laine vs Puljujarvi

Who you taking going forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CN8

May 31, 2010
Canada
I wouldn’t have asked this till a month ago but watching a lot of Oilers lately I think it’s becoming a real question looking at potential. In a redraft who are you taking?

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Poolparty

Both have had mental issues.
One seems to be constant companion to him
The other has cast them off.

Also I have to see more written before JP gets the solid nod.

CN8

May 31, 2010
Canada
On talent and watching a lot of laine with the Jets it would have been easy too but now if I compare the Laine who often appeared lazy versus the guy McDavid just said was the best fore checker he’s ever played with it’s a tough call

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
This will be a very interesting question moving forward. Pool party has a much better supporting cast right now with his line mates and looks like has turned a corner. Laine seems to be moving the opposite direction. However you switch the two players teams this is easily Laine right now. After this season I can see it being Pool party though. I'll refrain from voting at this time.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
You still take Laine in the redraft as of right now but in a year or two this could be completely different.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Laine definitely seems like the obvious choice, but Pulju is drastically better defensively, and starting to get going offensively. Within a couple years, Pulju could take it, but you still have to bet on the guy with a 40 goal season under his belt

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Puljujarvi has been a demon on the forecheck and has been solid defensively this season.

But he's been playing shotgun with the far and away best player in the league this season for the majority of the year and has 13 points in 33 games.

I'm loving what he's doing. But come on now... this is a silly question.

Laine has some warts in his game, but it's a hell of a lot easier to iron out some shoddy defensive play than it is to teach Pulju to score like Laine can.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
WTF is this poll? Puljujarvi is a 4th line scrub.

Laine AINEC.

This poll is a joke I am assuming.
This post is somewhat a joke I am assuming?
Laine and it’s closer than you’d like to think (still not that close) Puljurarvi is at worst a 2nd line forward. With room to grow. Laine is a great talent but is about complete as a 7000 piece puzzle on day 1

CN8

May 31, 2010
Canada
Puljujarvi has been a demon on the forecheck and has been solid defensively this season.

But he's been playing shotgun with the far and away best player in the league this season for the majority of the year and has 13 points in 33 games.

I'm loving what he's doing. But come on now... this is a silly question.

Laine has some warts in his game, but it's a hell of a lot easier to iron out some shoddy defensive play than it is to teach Pulju to score like Laine can.

Not arguing but asking if it’s so easy to teach how come it’s only been regression since Laine hit the league hot? He has 1 more goal right now.
That’s why the poll wasn’t based on last or even present. Who you think 5 years from now. I see 2 different trajectories

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Poolparty is a guy a championship team needs in their top 6 when they already have 2 superstars as he does the gritty work while also having enough skill to keep up with them. He's the sort of player all those mini dynasty Pens, Hawks and Kings teams had. Laine is such an elite talent but he's super inconsistent and has attitude concerns. I don't think he's a winning player either in terms of his play style... I still think you take the skill of Laine, if contracts were included in the discussion this becomes a lot closer. Voted Patty.

heksagon

Jul 27, 2010
Finland
If Laine and Puljujärvi switched teams, this poll wouldn't exist. I like Poolparty, but he doesn't have the same level of talent. Could you imagine Laine with McDavid and Draisaitl on the PP...

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
Laine. They do have same amount of points but Laine has ten games less and plays with Nick Foligno.

Mar 26, 2010
This post is somewhat a joke I am assuming?
Laine and it’s closer than you’d like to think (still not that close) Puljurarvi is at worst a 2nd line forward. With room to grow. Laine is a great talent but is about complete as a 7000 piece puzzle on day 1
2nd line winger? Not even close.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Laine has more skill and should be the better player. Puljujarvi probably wont rack up the points to warrant a massive contract tho so he will hold a lot of value in his roster spot. He's a machine on the forecheck.

but based purely on how good they are at hockey laine is still better, despite him seeming to have a poor engine.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Real question? Puljujärvi scores 0.35 points per game playing with McDavid.

How many points do you think Laine would score with McDavid?

Reactions: Mighty Makar

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Still a ways to go but I said before the draft that I thought Puljujarvi would end up having the better career. Looked like I was completely wrong for a 2 or 3 years but gol darn it anyhow I just may end up being right about this afterall. Liane has probably already maxed out and Puljujarvi just seems to be finding his big people skates.

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
Feel like Puljujarvi is a completely different player after working through his mental demons and getting hip surgery. He always seems to be the hardest working play on the ice. He still looks a little clumsy out there but I think that happens with alot of people who are as big as he got at such a young age, when he matures a bit and as he continues to learn how to use that size he's gonna become even more of a beast. His forechecking and puck retrieval are amazing and his defensive game is outstanding. His shot and the ability to get it off seem to be his biggest downfall. Which isn't a problem because he's found a home infront of the net deflecting pucks and picking up rebounds. Don't get me wrong he has a howitzer of a shot but the accuracy has been horrible, I think this will improve once he calms down a bit as well. Even though he doesn't score alot he seems to be directly related to alot of Edmonton goals whether it's puck retrieval battles or even jaut taking up space. definitely has alot going for him and seems to be on the up and up.

Liane has an amazing shot probably one of the best in the league. He is also a fairly big boy but I don't see him using his size enough or to his advantage. If he were to bite down and become a solid hitter/ forechecker he would remind me of Ovi. His defensive game also seems to be lacking but maybe that's something he will learn in time I just feel he is lazy when his team doesn't gave possession of the puck. He has the potential and the toolbox to become a beast but right to me seems right now to be more of a one trick pony (that trick though being one of the best shots/one timers in the league elite of elite). Liane seems to me like he almost has an attitude/mental issue but I could be wrong and these can also be tempered with maturity not too concerned about it yet.

To me both these players still have a far way to go. I wanna see Puljujarvi do what he's doing more then a 30 something games before I start putting him on par with Liane. Liane has proven more over multiple years so not sure how you don't go with him here. That being said, this could easily come down to team needs and I think Puljujarvi is a much better fit for the Oilers then Liane would be.

I will say I think Puljujarvi ends up being the better overall player but as of right now it's still Liane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark