Valeri Nichushkin placed in NHLPA assistance program stage 3 - suspended without pay for min. 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I can't think of a worse sports culture to deal with addiction than the Avalanche. Every guy seems like a whiny bitch that would tell you addiction is a choice and be pissy about how it effected them.

Addiction is a choice :huh:

Reactions: Canovin

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Hope the dude gets help. Also hope he’s done with the avs. They’ve been very good to him and this is the second playoffs in a row he’s screwed them….

I have empathy for him but do not want him on this team anymore, don’t care the circumstances.
I had a friend, whose husband and her had a son who, unfortunately, got caught in a spiral of drug addiction. They were more than gracious to him, despite numerous arrests and such and letting him work out his issues at home.

But it came to a head one night when he broke down the front door, as they locked him out due to him stealing from the father. He broke down the door and went to his sister's room (she was a teen at the time) where he started asking her for money and when she said she didn't have any, he started turning over everything in her room to find the money. His parents told him to leave and he wouldn't so they called the cops on him.

Ultimately, they made the hard decision to have him put into a drug program up north (Teen Challenge). It was for his own good as he had hit rock bottom. They tried to show as much support, empathy and care as possible and clearly they deeply loved him. But understandably, they couldn't handle the addiction's tangible effects insofar as violent outbursts and actions. So they had to get him put into a specific program well outside of their residential jurisdiction. Unfortunately, the story does not have a happy ending, and addiction ended up costing him his life.

It is true Nichushkin has money, but honestly, that only goes so far. Hopefully he has a support circle of friends and family available. If not, the Avs, I suspect, have hit their rock bottom. No one likes talking about image, but these corporations protect their image and reputation like no one's business. They have demonstrated that they will stand by their players, but just as in real life, there is no such thing as unlimited chances and certainly no such thing as perpetual immunity from consequences (well, unless you are a politician). I'll be shocked if the Avs do not cut ties with him. He has been given enough chances as it is. Certainly, I have no doubt that they wish the best for him and hope he can find a way to work through this, but likely not under the guidance and care of the hockey team.

Last edited:

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
all i know is I saw somewhere online that people in Stage 5 of the NHLPA Drug program have to listen to Leah Hextall on an endless loop for 6 months
Stage 3 is listening to Ray Ferraro for 6 months

Reactions: Voight

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
Oh trust me, I worked in a few places where people were on drugs and management knew and did nothing about it.

Heck pretty much 50% of the hospitality industry is on some kind of drug while they are working.
If the number of times I've had to return to the front desk to get my newly-programmed key card for my room re-programmed because they screwed it up the first time is any guide, that could very well be true, at least in North America.

On the other hand, in countries where it's far less likely to have a stoned, wasted, or trippin' workforce due to the culture and/or severity of it's drug laws it's a rarity if things aren't done right the first time. In terms of attentiveness and hospitality, there's no comparison.

In the hospitality industry, it's not as if having lower standards is something to be proud of.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Addiction is a choice :huh:
the addiction may or may not be. depends on who you ask.

but at a minimum, at one point, before addiction took hold, a poor choice was made to take the risk. some choices carry heavier consequences than others.

i have empathy for him to get well, and i have empathy for those he has hurt with his selfish choice(s).

Strangle

May 4, 2009
the addiction may or may not be. depends on who you ask.

but at a minimum, at one point, before addiction took hold, a poor choice was made to take the risk. some choices carry heavier consequences than others.

i have empathy for him to get well, and i have empathy for those he has hurt with his selfish choice(s).

I have empathy for addiction, absolutely

But it definitely is a choice you make to become addicted. Once you’re addicted you are f***ed. So just don’t be an idiot

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Same reading comprehension as you. I said no such thing in your post but it didn't stop you from leaping to some terrible hot take did it and inferring something I never said.

I like how you think people should be banned from sports for drugs but you are ok with joking about their problems.

Nice work.

Nowhere did I state that people should be banned from sports for drugs. Not sure what's going on with you.

• Haha
Reactions: toddkaz

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Nowhere did I state that people should be banned from sports for drugs. Not sure what's going on with you.
Oh you know me? Steve? Johnny? Is that you?

Nowhere did I brag about people doing drugs but it didn't stop you from posting that I did.

You inferred something I said even though I didn't. So then I did the same thing back.

Did you forget that soon?

• Haha
Reactions: Buck Naked

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
the number of ppl who think coke isn't a performance enhancing drug is wild. not saying that's definitely what he popped for, but it definitely is something the nhl should try to keep out of the game.
Yes I think if it came out today that the majority of players were coked up on the ice each game, the NHL should try and curb that.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
All the people who think Nichushkin should be banned from Hockey can't seem to answer whether or not Grant Fuhr should be removed from the Hockey Hall of Fame for admitting to being coked up while playing hockey.

Fuhr is in the HHOF even though he was on drugs while he played.
Nichushkin should be banned from hockey because he has a substance abuse problem.

No one who wants Nichushkin banned can't seem to see the hypocrisy and refuse to admit it.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
He obviously has an issue if he can't even control himself in the playoffs where your focus on the team and winning games is at it's highest. I don't have as much sympathy as others do for addicts, a person has to make really dumb choices to become an addict in the first place but you hope they can overcome their problems. Hopefully he can get himself under control and resume his career, he is an excellent player.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Congrats, Dallas.

Val is a selfish prick. Let’s not sugarcoat it and try to downplay his actions.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I can't think of a worse sports culture to deal with addiction than the Avalanche. Every guy seems like a whiny bitch that would tell you addiction is a choice and be pissy about how it effected them.

Based on what? Sam Girard also entered the player assistance program (voluntarily) earlier this year for alcohol related issues. He seemed to get nothing but support from teammates, he's been quite open in several interviews about what he was going through, etc.
“It’s been a long road but I’m glad I’m in a good spot now,” Samuel Girard told The Denver Post. “You don’t know what people are going to think or say, but I just had to do it for myself. I had so much support, from my wife and my parents and my family. I don’t have social media, but I heard about all the fans supporting me. My teammates were supporting me, the staff, the whole organization.
Here is what Manson had to say:
“I think people, and fans especially, want to see you succeed,” Avs defenseman Josh Manson said. “They want to see you in a good place and want to see you happy. Especially in today’s day and age, mental health is such a big topic. There are people speaking out about it. The community is great.

“The signs, everyone supporting him, pushing him along. It was awesome.”

“I think it all falls under the category of mental health,” Manson said. “I think for people in the situations that both of us went through, to talk about it is great. Sometimes you don’t want to talk about it, but sometimes you do. You want to have someone there with an ear inquiring and asking and interested, so I just want to make sure I’m there for him, if and when he needed it.”
And then of course there was also another guy on the same team, Jonathan Drouin, who had also entered the player assistance program back in Montreal and he spoke about supporting Girard.
Drouin has also spent time in the player assistance program when he played for the Montreal Canadiens. He also struggled with mental health issues, namely anxiety and insomnia.

“I didn’t live his situation, but I lived kind of the same situation,” Drouin said. “You hide it and hide it and hide it. You get good at hiding it, almost, and it becomes part of your life.”
So not only is there no evidence to support your spurious claims that the Avs wouldn't support Nuke, but they welcomed him back this season with open arms this year after his f*** up last playoffs -- and there are literally two other guys on the club who have gone through similiar issues and have had to enter the same program that Nuke has apparently now failed twice.

If teammates are done with Nuke it's because the guy doesn't want help. After the shady business last playoffs in which he was hustled out of Seattle in the midst of the playoffs he entered the player treatment program and then...he went back to Russia and pictures of him partying, as well as pictures such as this, started circulating. And then he had to go back to the program in January. And now for the second straight year he's abandoned the club in the playoffs again. The guy has access to all the resources in the world to seek help. Most folks suffering with addiction don't have millions of dollars, a massive organization with a vested interested in seeing you get well (even if to selfishly protect the asset they owe tens of millions of dollars), and the resources of the NHL programs to get help. Nuke does, and he just doesn't seem to give a damn. I have a lot of empathy for folks struggling with addiction -- but I think it's pretty fair if some of his teammates are not just fed up.

Last edited:

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
the number of ppl who think coke isn't a performance enhancing drug is wild. not saying that's definitely what he popped for, but it definitely is something the nhl should try to keep out of the game.
Hence why I bring up Grant Fuhr. The guy is in the Hockey Hall of Fame even though he admitted he was routinely coked up while he played.

People want Nichushkin banned from hockey for substance abuse but don't seem to have a problem with Grant Fuhr in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Its very hypocritical.

Nichushkin needs help and needs to get sober but still should have the right to play hockey.

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
We should start of list of anyone who ever played hockey on a substance and start a movement to revoke their stats and stanley cup rings.

How dare they!
You're all alone on that particular train of thought. There's literally no connection between it and anything anyone has suggested.

To back it up to where you purposely derailed; if you really can't comprehend what it means to enter into a voluntary work contract that describes the terms and conditions of employment by/for both parties, then get your money back from whatever school schooled ya.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
He obviously has an issue if he can't even control himself in the playoffs where your focus on the team and winning games is at it's highest. I don't have as much sympathy as others do for addicts, a person has to make really dumb choices to become an addict in the first place but you hope they can overcome their problems. Hopefully he can get himself under control and resume his career, he is an excellent player.
addiction is a disease. the power of choice is totally lost. we don't BECOME addicts by stupid choices any more than a cancer patient opts his way into that. addicts are not bad people needing to choose good. we are sick people needing to get better

Reactions: DaveG and Statto

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
You're all alone on that particular train of thought. There's literally no connection between it and anything anyone has suggested.

To back it up to where you purposely derailed; if you really can't comprehend what it means to enter into a voluntary work contract that describes the terms and conditions of employment by both parties, then get your money back from whatever school schooled ya.
You spoke to everyone did you huh?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
You're yelling at clouds here, what exactly is your point? Val had terms and conditions he had to abide by for purposes of his employment, and he knowingly chose to agree to them only to violate them. That's called "bad-faith". Whether or not you think those T&C's are fair is completely irrelevant and doesn't change the fact that he did. Do you refuse to pay your taxes because you don't think you shouldn't have to?

I’m not talking about Nichushkin’s situation. Convo went in a different direction

said the guy who would get hurt on the job while high on drugs and sue the company for not stepping in and trying to help

There are lots of people who do recreational drugs and don’t come to work high just as there’s lots of people who get hammered on the weekend and don’t come to work drunk. Nichushkin obviously has a problem and is a different situation, but drug tests for basic hiring is pretty ridiculous in most work environments

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad