Speculation: Laine to the Habs via Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corky

Mar 21, 2008
Singapore
What ever makes bergevin very uncomfortable in not wanting to do the trade is what it will take

Unless there is some issues with Laine and WPG is willing to take much less than what people are expecting, which is the only way this trade happens.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Habs have a lot to offer...but I think it would take a core piece (Domi, Gallagher) plus a top prospect (Suzuki, Poehling), plus a 1st to even get the conversation started.

I could see Gallagher, as he's under cost control for longer. Jets have cap issues, and if Domi has another strong season he's going to want as much as Laine is likely to get. As a result, requiring a core piece isn't necessarily going to be the case. The Jets also have to try and balance the "win now" with the restocking of the prospect pool. They're not a young team, and they've spent assets to try and push the current group over the top. Montreal has a lot of top end prospects taken in the last 3 drafts that could be used in an offer for one of the top flight RFAs still on the board.

montreal25m

Jun 5, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Losing Romanov would hurt a lot. He's a blue chip LHD. You'd love him if ya knew about him.

I think it is very hard to evaluate the value of Laine because of his terrible year last year and the rumoured turmoil he has with the team. Just too much risk from both parties to make that trade. Is Laine a franchise player or is he just a real solid top 6 winger?

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
I think it is very hard to evaluate the value of Laine because of his terrible year last year and the rumoured turmoil he has with the team. Just too much risk from both parties to make that trade. Is Laine a franchise player or is he just a real solid top 6 winger?

Maybe somewhere in the middle? Probably returns to being great but there's a very real possibility it turns out he's just a "very good" Winger. Just like it might be for Brock Boeser.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think both the Habs and Laine would benefit from it. It sounds like he's slightly at odds with the top players in Winnipeg, and he's getting wasted in a way by not being in the 1st line. Part of it is that they do have other good 1st line wingers to compete with Laine, whereas Montreal doesn't.

If you want to use a sniper correctly, you need to pair them with top passers that can feed them. I'm sure Laine would have had 10 - 15 more goals last season if he had been played in the 1st line all season. And it's not just that the goal is to get him goals. If you score enough goals, it acts as a demotivator for the opposing team. For example St Louis after Laine scored 5 goals. It's a tough spot to turn around.

If he had a year he had last year he'd get ...... by the media in Montreal.
& You know Julien is the coach there?

Hah, if the most prolific teenage scorer in a generation becomes available, every team in the league will line up for him. I love some of these offers, and people saying the return on him would be awful. He's 21 years old and already has 110 goals, the price is going to hurt badly if you want him.

Quite a bit depends on the money/term he's after.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Hah, if the most prolific teenage scorer in a generation becomes available, every team in the league will line up for him. I love some of these offers, and people saying the return on him would be awful. He's 21 years old and already has 110 goals, the price is going to hurt badly if you want him.
This.
Jets aren't giving him away for spare parts that some of these Habs proposals contain.
If someone wants him you're looking at multiple great pieces, not 31 year old Jeff Petry and a protected 1st round pick.
Also, as good as Kotkaniemi could become one day, I bet 31 GMs trade him for Laine in a second.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If the Habs want Laine, it is pretty simple. Just offer sheet at the 4 1st round pick compensation level. 4 unprotected 1sts is the point Chevy likely lets him go. If that is too much there is no reason Chevy needs to trade him.

Reactions: Snowman

RyderRocks73

Jul 1, 2015
Moncton, NB
Habs have a lot to offer...but I think it would take a core piece (Domi, Gallagher) plus a top prospect (Suzuki, Poehling), plus a 1st to even get the conversation started.
I think you're wrong. Probably one of those and then a lesser piece. Even the Jets know this. Don't want him unless he's gifted to us and comes with little term.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
Seeing/hearing there has been some discussions between the Habs & Jets regarding a trade for Laine. I'm not necessarily advocating the trade, but it is a interesting idea. I'm listing this thread as speculation bc I haven't personally seen any major insiders saying this is a real rumour to-date. If you have more links feel free to share them regarding trade rumours for Laine to the Habs.

The Montreal Canadiens should try to acquire Patrik Laine via trade

HockeyBuzz.com - Brandon Smillie - Acquiring Laine Would Exceptional... But At What Cost?

Thoughts?

Keep it respectful people, it's just summer chat/speculation none of us GM's or can influence a trade.

I think this would be a huge mistake for the Habs. Laine isn't they type of player that fits their mold. But if it were to happen, I think it would have to start with Mete.

RyderRocks73

Jul 1, 2015
Moncton, NB
I don't know if you're trolling Jets fans or not but imo, I think Laine holds more value then that. I get that he's still pretty raw and weak defensively, but he's a #2 pick only 21 years old.

Jets wouldn't give him away for Petry (31 years old, 2 years left), Poehling [1 NHL game (albeit a helluva game against Leafs)] and a TOP-3 protected pick.

Laine is still growing and learning the game. #2 overall pick. He's a 6'5" right winger with a dynamic scoring touch and immense offensive awareness. 184 points (110 goals) in 237 games is nothing to scoff at. He also suffered a concussion early in his career courtesy of Jake McCabe.

How can a #2 overall pick with 3 years of NHL experience not fetch a premium asset? But then a top-3 protected pick (4-31) could become that?

Anyway, like others have said, this is pretty much no deal from both sides. Winnipeg would guaranteed ask Kotka+, Habs would hang up because they can't afford to trade a cost-controlled, up and coming top-6 centre. They are already just getting by on C, if that.
If that's on offer then the Jets should take it. They just shed 3 roster players on defence, two of them Top 4 RHD. Poehling and Roslovic could make up your middle-six centers moving forward and then you pick up what's likely to be a mid-round pick.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Realistically, if Winnipeg trades Laine, they won't be getting a premium asset in return. At this stage of their respective careers, Montreal probably wouldn't even trade Kotkaniemi straight up; let alone use him as a centerpiece in a package.

If Montreal trades for him, I'd expect the offer to be something along the lines of Ryan Poehling, Jeff Petry, and Montreal's 2020 1st (top-3 protected). It doesn't contain a premium asset, but it contains a bonafide top-4 RHD and a center with top-6 potential - two huge needs for Winnipeg - as well as a pick that could become a premium asset down the road.

I really can’t see Montreal letting go of Poehling. The management team value him very high and last year they refused to have him as a center piece to a ROR deal, one of the best two-way C. Suzuki might be what Montreal puts on the table.

Kotkaniemi, Suzuki and an unprotected 1st.

You’re not getting Kotkaniemi. Not even on a one for one trade. There’s just nothing on your team that gets Kotkaniemi.

I don't know if you're trolling Jets fans or not but imo, I think Laine holds more value then that. I get that he's still pretty raw and weak defensively, but he's a #2 pick only 21 years old.

Jets wouldn't give him away for Petry (31 years old, 2 years left), Poehling [1 NHL game (albeit a helluva game against Leafs)] and a TOP-3 protected pick.

Laine is still growing and learning the game. #2 overall pick. He's a 6'5" right winger with a dynamic scoring touch and immense offensive awareness. 184 points (110 goals) in 237 games is nothing to scoff at. He also suffered a concussion early in his career courtesy of Jake McCabe.

How can a #2 overall pick with 3 years of NHL experience not fetch a premium asset? But then a top-3 protected pick (4-31) could become that?

Anyway, like others have said, this is pretty much no deal from both sides. Winnipeg would guaranteed ask Kotka+, Habs would hang up because they can't afford to trade a cost-controlled, up and coming top-6 centre. They are already just getting by on C, if that.

Doesn’t matter where he was drafted. He’s had a hell of a first year (and second) but rumours seems to say that there’s something off in Winnipeg with Laine.

Like it or not, but if Poehling isn’t a premium asset to you, I don’t know what is. 6”2 200+ lbs pure two-way Center, recent WJC MVP and scored 4 goals in his first NHL game. I mean, last year, people were bragging about the Thomas, Borgstrom, Vilardi or Roslovic of this world and pretty much called them as untouchable as it could ever gets. Now that Montreal has one who’s clearly at that level or better, he’s not even a premium asset? I don’t get it.

Kotkaniemi + Petry + 1st for Laine + Kulikov

There’s just no way you are getting Kotkaniemi in a trade. Just none. Nothing on your team is gets him

I’m confused by this thought. Do Hab fans not remember that Laine paced for more goals in his rookie season than Kotkaniemi had points?

Positional need and the fact that one was 200+ While the other one was ~180 and younger when he joined the league. Long-term they might have very similar production. Also, one still have two years of ELC and growth before we can compare both of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad