Laine-Sheifele-Ehlers best line in NHL?

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Not even close. Maybe in 3-5 years. Plenty of better lines - Kane line, Bergeron line etc. Even Minnesota's Nino-Staal-Coyle line has been better when you look at 5v5. I'd say they have the potential to be a dominant unit, but can't hold on the puck long enough yet. Theoretically though, this should be a dominant unit down the line - you have the do-no-wrong C in Scheifele, the sniper in Laine and the playmaker in Ehlers.

Lol. Scheifele is 4th in even strenght points, Ehlers is tied at 5th and Laine 13th.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
And yet they are still at the bottom of the standings with more games played than most.

Babcock is supposed to be the best coach in the NHL but has the worst record by far over the past two seasons. Why do you think that is?

Jets and Leafs are playing a ton of young players, and the Jets season has been complicated by a ton of injuries to core vets. Do you think that might influence team results?

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Babcock is supposed to be the best coach in the NHL but has the worst record by far over the past two seasons. Why do you think that is?

Jets and Leafs are playing a ton of young players, and the Jets season has been complicated by a ton of injuries to core vets. Do you think that might influence team results?

Well have you seen the leafs roster last year? this year being above .500 isnt terrible either for a team that just bottomed out dead last.

Nov 24, 2006
I don't think they are the top line TBH, but they are good and likely to be better next year as they mature. Each of the three are unique in their styles, and it just seems to work. When they are "on", they are dynamite, but they are also inconsistent. Scheifele in particular seems to be much less dominant than he was before he was injured. He was driving that line, but now it seems to be Ehlers doing most of the work.

FWIW, this guy thinks they are near the top.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/jets-top-line-one-of-the-best-in-the-nhl~1019305

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Best line in the NHL?

Two way play? No, but wouldn't expect that with three very young players.

One of the top offensive/exciting lines? Yes, absolutely

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Well have you seen the leafs roster last year? this year being above .500 isnt terrible either for a team that just bottomed out dead last.

I fully understand why the Leafs are where they are and think they have a very bright future. I was commenting on the stupidity and irony of assessing these young rosters based purely on standings, which a few Leafs fans like to do.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

They had a horrible team last year. Don't think anyone says otherwise. They are 19th in point % this year, which is far better than expected.

On the other hand some jets fans are proclaiming they are one of the best teams in the league...

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I fully understand why the Leafs are where they are and think they have a very bright future. I was commenting on the stupidity and irony of assessing these young rosters based purely on standings, which a few Leafs fans like to do.

Did you see the post I was replying to?

Nov 24, 2006
They had a horrible team last year. Don't think anyone says otherwise. They are 19th in point % this year, which is far better than expected.

On the other hand some jets fans are proclaiming they are one of the best teams in the league...

No realistic or even somewhat sane Jets fan believes this.

Why the never ending bickering between these two teams fans? Seems stupid to me. They are #21 and #22 in the league. Neither of these two teams are one of the best. In fact, they are two of the worst. They both have some good young players, that's about it.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka

Where? That can't be right if we look at to the real hockey and real team stats. It's true that Jets have had serious issues with injuries and that combined with schedule no doubt have some part to that, no doubt (=forcing to tinker with lineups to some degree). Luckily situation is better now.

What comes to the Line, I think almost everything really relevant is said about it already. Good one but far from perfect. Entertaining to watch, but also inconsistent. Scoring a lot, yeah, but little bit too inconsistently for their role within the team. There are chemistry within the line, and they are good complementary pieces for each others. PK and PP sucks too much. Defense isn't top notch. They have very good potential to grow up to be real badass line (of course only if kept together).

But the best line?!! No. Not at least yet. It would require more balanced overall performance. IMO.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Why the never ending bickering between these two teams fans? Seems stupid to me. They are #21 and #22 in the league. Neither of these two teams are one of the best. In fact, they are two of the worst. They both have some good young players, that's about it.

Because the Leafs fans are forced to witness all the bad & false illusion in terms of how they judged Laine from the get go, and that indeed is a tough pill to swallow. Of all the things they proclaimed after the lottery around 99,9% turned out inaccurate and I guess it's tough watching Laine leading most of the rookie charts, all the while having the best run for Calder and showing the world why he thought he was the best choice being the first man on the podium. This bickering will never end, no worries there! In the meanwhile, the rest of us can rejoice how the last year's draft turned out like. :popcorn:

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
By the end of the year I'd think so, but I think as of right now it's too early to say so.

I expect that line to be better next season.

chauron

Jan 5, 2014
Let me ask you, which is the best line if not this. Not a Crosby as individual please, THE BEST COMBINATION.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Let me ask you, which is the best line if not this. Not a Crosby as individual please, THE BEST COMBINATION.

I'd like to know as well and I mean it sincerely. Some people in here are laughing at the notion of them being the best line, but no one is saying x or y is better. Who would be considered the top three lines in hockey right now outside the Jets line.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

I call BS on that statement, I've never seen a single Jets fan say we are or were going to be a top team last year or this year.

Let's not make stuff up now.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
We've had this topic before and yes, they are pretty good unit. If Ehlers knew how to shoot they might compete for the being the best title. I still remember watching Selänne - Kariya duo and damn it was such a treat, both of them really able to wind it up. Ehlers does has his advantages though and compliments the other two well. I just get really frustrated at times when Laine or whoever sends him on a breakaway and he just never buries it.

Watch some Ehlers goals - he's been snakebitten a lot recently but has a great shot sometimes and can handle breakaways

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I spend too much time on the Jets board and I have not heard anyone say the Jets are one of the best teams in the NHL currently? Now I am not saying it hasn't been said but we are talking extreme outliers.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
I spend too much time on the Jets board and I have not heard anyone say the Jets are one of the best teams in the NHL currently? Now I am not saying it hasn't been said but we are talking extreme outliers.

Me neither, though it's possible that out-of-context reading habits combined with colored non-jets fan glasses could cause honest misinterpretation by some random comment where a jets fan declare the Jets is the best team because of his own dedication to the team and because it's his/hers home team that fan would love and support no matter what, in which case 'Best' should read like a child's "Mom! You're the Best!"

About that best line. I would go search it first from the Pittsburgh.

ThatSaid

May 31, 2015
Glendale Heights, IL
They'll be a great line for sure. Best right now? No.

Panarin-Anisimov-Kane say hi with a combined 96 points and combined +/- of 31. +/- of the Winnipeg trio is 13.

Someone else can do the advanced stats thing and compare the two lines if they want. But to my eye, there isn't a better line in hockey than Panarin-Anisimov-Kane.

I'm admittedly biased, but in this case I think I'm correct.

DarylO

Jun 16, 2011
Lindsay, ON
"Do we really need another Matthews thread?" - Mod in another thread.

Can we please apply the same reasoning to the overabundance of Laine / Jets threads?
It's just as annoying as the stupid Leaf / Matthews threads, so lets treat them all the same and close them up or at least collapse them to single threads.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
"Do we really need another Matthews thread?" - Mod in another thread.

Can we please apply the same reasoning to the overabundance of Laine / Jets threads?
It's just as annoying as the stupid Leaf / Matthews threads, so lets treat them all the same and close them up or at least collapse them to single threads.

That is excellent idea, but all attempts to make it happen aren't somehow ok.

I have at least half dozen comments concerning this (and it's variations) on my post account that got deleted without any kind explanations.

Good reasons enough for such temporary arrangement are:

1. New Laine and Matthews threads aren't going to end to pop up continuously in a foreseeable future
2. The task of moderation would be considerably easier with such kind dedicated threads
3. Less off-topic noise in other threads
4. It's annoying also from AM, PL, Leafs and Jets fans perspective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad