Sportsnet: Laine says contract talks are quiet, unsure about future in Winnipeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I wonder if in the next CBA we see RFAs be immediately eligible for arbitration.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Jesus. These young Fins are making some noise this summer. Somewhere Teemu Selanne must be shaking his head.

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
I would like if the league had more traitors and team switchers, seeing the same guy in the same jersey isn't such a novelty anymore, it's a given if you get drafted and you're 1C caliber good you're supposed to stay to play for that org 'til you stop playing :(

Maybe the WWE is a better fit for you then. There's traitors and team switchers and all kinds of fun stuff. :thumbu:

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Soooo then the leafs just wait it out and the entire league sits?

Sure.
Or the converse, everyone signs and the Leafs have Marner not start the season. It's not hard to see happening when you don't specifically go out of your way to be obtuse.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
If these RFAs are not signed soon, (with bonus money and minimum salaries) and the NHL or NHLPA opt out of the CBA, then how do these players get paid for not playing hockey?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Or the converse, everyone signs and the Leafs have Marner not start the season. It's not hard to see happening when you don't specifically go out of your way to be obtuse.

Huh? If everyone is waiting on Marner. And Marner signs at 430 on December 1. Then what happens?

Or the idea that professionals who are at risk of injury (valimaki/cousins) would Be incredibly dumb to wait on 1 player?

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Not really a surprise, I've long thought this will be the most difficult RFA contract to iron out. Laine likely wants to get paid for his superstar goal totals and the Jets want to temper this especially in light of last season. Plus I get a Seguin in Boston vibe from the Laine and the Jets, I just don't feel like they love his play style, but I don't think they'll make the mistake of letting him go. Likely a bridge, although of all the potential offer sheet targets I'm surprised Laine has rarely been discussed.

Having said that, my God! can someone just sign already?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Laine doesn't do the usual hockey player PR talk. He is just acknowledging what everyone already knows. Its a business and **** happens.

It does seem like everyone is waiting for Marner - but there are holes in the logic of that. The Leafs don't have the cap space to pay him really big money, even with the LTIR room they have. They might have to do something really strange, like 1 yr x 9 mil and do this all over again next year. Can they even squeeze out 9 mil?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Another question I have is, how far into the season can the Jets let him hold out without the cap hit impacting them badly? Like how Nylanders got pro rated to 10M or whatever?

Let's say he gets 10M, does that prorate to 15M on Dec 1? Is there a soft deadline where if he holds out he is out the year unless traded / they trade someone else?

Reactions: JamesFord

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Laine doesn't do the usual hockey player PR talk. He is just acknowledging what everyone already knows. Its a business and **** happens.

It does seem like everyone is waiting for Marner - but there are holes in the logic of that. The Leafs don't have the cap space to pay him really big money, even with the LTIR room they have. They might have to do something really strange, like 1 yr x 9 mil and do this all over again next year. Can they even squeeze out 9 mil?

I would bring this to the Marner thread as to not derail this one into more bickering over that contract.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I would bring this to the Marner thread as to not derail this one into more bickering over that contract.
But it's a relevant point. If everyone is waiting for Marner, and Tor is planning to do the LTIR trick on the first day of season, it's a very difficult equation.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
But it's a relevant point. If everyone is waiting for Marner, and Tor is planning to do the LTIR trick on the first day of season, it's a very difficult equation.

It's been answered adnasium in the Marner thread. Leafs have about 10.5 in cap space for Marner. I am not a MOD, so I won't try and tell people what to post, but I was hoping to keep this thread about Laine and not Toronto's cap troubles.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Well, it seems like every 3rd poster feels the need to state that everything is waiting on Marner. That is presumed to be the reason that it is so quiet.

All Laine said was that it is very quiet and he doesn't know what that means, if anything. So it kind of ties in, directly.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
It's been answered adnasium in the Marner thread. Leafs have about 10.5 in cap space for Marner. I am not a MOD, so I won't try and tell people what to post, but I was hoping to keep this thread about Laine and not Toronto's cap troubles.

I have zero interest reading the Marner threadS, but am still somewhat intrigued of the general RFA market happenstances. If there is a definite-ish answer, it can be quickly mentioned in this thread too.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Well, it seems like every 3rd poster feels the need to state that everything is waiting on Marner. That is presumed to be the reason that it is so quiet.

All Laine said was that it is very quiet and he doesn't know what that means, if anything. So it kind of ties in, directly.

I don't really see why though. Laine isn't nearly as good as Marner is. It's like Kapanen holding out to see what Rantanen gets.

HugoLalumiere

May 20, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Why wouldn't they?
A GM that gets taken to the cleaners, is the best way to show that you're worth more money.

The reason that Aho didn't set the bar, he signed too much of a fair deal.

Yeah, fair deals are terrible! Someone HAS to get fleeced somewhere otherwise you might get ideal conditions...

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Another question I have is, how far into the season can the Jets let him hold out without the cap hit impacting them badly? Like how Nylanders got pro rated to 10M or whatever?

Let's say he gets 10M, does that prorate to 15M on Dec 1? Is there a soft deadline where if he holds out he is out the year unless traded / they trade someone else?

Having both Laine and Connor to deal with, I don't think the Jets can afford it going into the season at all. JMO but they haven't taken steps to free up any wiggle room.

rosscow

Apr 5, 2015
I really wish Mitch Marner would've said this.

The melt down would be wildly entertaining.

There are lots of fans in Toronto that are ready to trade Marner. Marner is basically saying he doesn't want to be here if he won't sign for under 11.5mil

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Having both Laine and Connor to deal with, I don't think the Jets can afford it going into the season at all. JMO but they haven't taken steps to free up any wiggle room.

I don't think Connor is going anywhere. I see him signing in training camp for around Nylander money. I was just wondering, they have ~17M in cap space per cap friendly.

Let's say Connor gets 6.5 which would be a steal IMO, that leaves about 11M in space for Laine. Unless he gets a bridge deal, that number has to be over 8. 10M is likely where he is aiming. But let's say he gets 8.5, how long until they run out of space?

December 1st is too long, has to be November 1st?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad