Sportsnet: Laine says contract talks are quiet, unsure about future in Winnipeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
An article in the Athletic (read it in the app, so I don't have a link) casually dropped a suggestion that the NHLPA wants all the RFAs dragged out as long as possible and to extract as much money as possible.

Good news for lockout fans!

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
The only way this league-wide Mexican standoff could be any better is if Marner & the Leafs have had a handshake deal in place to be signed Oct 2nd this whole time.

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
I don't think it has anything to do with anyone waiting on Marner. One guy doesn't set market.

Every indication is the GMs are slow playing these deals to try and gain back some of the RFA leverage that they seemed to lose in the Eichel, Nylander, and Matthews deals.

Players maximum leverage would have come on July 1st with potential offer sheets. As the season approaches leverage swings back to the GMs as the players feel pressure not to hold out without a contract.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I don't like to hear Laine talk like that, makes me feel like he's not keen to stay on the Jets.

That being said, I could see this being a very contentious contract, Cheveldayoff has some strong statistical data as to why Laine isn't in the top tier of RFAs, especially looking at controlling the play, while everyone knows Laine could very well put up 50 goals next year.

Which is why he likely stays, Chevy might get a king's ransom for him but you are not going to get a potential 50 goal guy back. I hope they lock him up long term and don't bother with a bridge deal.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
I would like if the league had more traitors and team switchers, seeing the same guy in the same jersey isn't such a novelty anymore, it's a given if you get drafted and you're 1C caliber good you're supposed to stay to play for that org 'til you stop playing :(

Reactions: TCNorthstars

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
quiet of coarse its quiet chevy doesn't do anything till September anyways. same with every other gm in this league. but of course you know that patrik. go talk to your good buddy in Denver. same thing with him waiting for a contract. what do you pay someone who scored 12 goals in 5 out of 6 months last year. take a bridge deal prove everybody wrong and then cash out on a big contract in 2 years. otherwise call pool party up and try playing with him this year.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
This is virtually exactly what he said after the season ended.......almost direct quote. So nothing has changed. Agents are waiting on the Leafs & Marner to set a new standard and then the rest of the RFA’s will all fall in line after that......as much of the media has said. NHL is a deadline league there isn’t any pressure to get these things done at this point so no hurry by anyone.....first deadline will be training camp, then season starting.....until then no news just boring summer days.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
This is virtually exactly what he said after the season ended.......almost direct quote. So nothing has changed. Agents are waiting on the Leafs & Marner to set a new standard and then the rest of the RFA’s will all fall in line after that......as much of the media has said. NHL is a deadline league there isn’t any pressure to get these things done at this point so no hurry by anyone.....first deadline will be training camp, then season starting.....until then no news just boring summer days.

You rarely hear a player talk the way Laine did. Even Marner says his goal is to be in Toronto in training camp. Laine's comments come off as he doesn't have any attachment to the Jets, pay him or someone else will.

And he also did another interview in Finnish where he talks about not being in a hurry and "Fall is pretty in Finland" meaning he is willing to go to Dec 1 like Nylander last year.

This is more complicated than waiting on Marner, which feels like it has become a cop out excuse for every other fan base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad