Laine or Matthews for a playoff run this year?

Who would you choose?

• Total voters

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
Matthews rather easily. He is the better all around player and better goal scorer

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
matthews is a landslide. all things being equal, edge goes to the C

so far Am34 has 4g/6pts though while Laine has 1g/2pts..so its not equal

Yeah but this is a playoffs question and in the playoffs Laine has 12 in 17 and Matthews only has 7 in 13.

goblin3

Mar 23, 2014
Both off to a great start.

Even though it's just 2 games for the Jets I was surprised to see Laine leading them in most of the advanced stats over the likes of Scheifele and Wheeler.

cf.jpg icf.jpg ixgf.jpg xgf.jpg
Screenshots are 5v5.

Hope both can keep it up and have a good race in the playoffs.

Reactions: PhilJets

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I thought Mark Scheifele is why Winnipeg made the Conference Finals, where as Laine was just along for the ride.

Our boy Scheifele did great.... was gunning for that goals record.

Laine though wasnt just along for the ride.

His first playoff goal. Was ice on his veins.
Removed the playoff choker synonimous to Winnipeg Jets name.
His pass to Buff to put the Jet ahead in that miracle come back vs. The preds was sick.

Stastny was credited with a critical goal in one of the late games in the Preds series when it glance off him but Laine was going top shelf.

Nashville and Vegas series.
Jets power play. Laine you can see have a shadow. Stastny Scheifele was fiesting on Wheelers pass.

Vegas series, Fleury was in god mode.
Only Scheifele and Laine beat him wìth more than 1 goal.

Laine didnt do too bad. Not as good as the great Matthews :) but he did well for his first playoff year.

Though you can see his foot speed, accelaration wasnt there compared to his rookie year. He took a shot off his ankle late in the season.
But he looks really fast this first 2 games.

Danny1237

Jun 12, 2016
I guess it would depend on what else you have on your team as to how close a decision it is.

I would probably say Matthews. He has been the better 5 on 5 goal scorer, which I think matters in the playoffs, and while neither has been a stellar play driver as of yet, Matthews seems to push the play more than Laine, and can likely have a bigger impact on it as a center.

Both players are great, and may be the two guys fighting for Richard awards for many years to come, but given they are both primarily goal scorers, and they seem to be relatively even in that category overally, I will take the center who has more of a knack for 5 on 5 scoring.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
While i agree that Matthews is better are you really using a sample size of 3 games to prove your point?
People love using 7 game samples for Matthews playoff issues last year but draw the line at 3 games being sample size...lmfao the irony

Albz

Jun 30, 2018
Depends. If my team already had a solid top 5 center in the league than Laine, if my team already had a winger but lack on C than Matthews. If my team already had a top C and top winger, than I’d take Matthews! Center depth is never a bad thing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad