Laine or Matthews for a playoff run this year?

Who would you choose?

• Total voters

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Say your team clinched a playoff spot and you could choose b/w these 2 to have on your team, who are you choosing?

I'd say it's pretty close. Couldn't go wrong with either option

Last edited:

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
It depends does Laine have two of the best playmakers and two or three other good ones in the top 6.

If I’m starting a team from scratch to go into the playoffs and get the choice of one of these two it’s matthews without a second thought.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Jets fan voting Matthews. I know people like to talk how he didn't have a good playoff (altho he was good in 16-17) but to me he's still a guy who you love to have for those heavier games down the stretch. Especially being a center it's important to match other heavyweights down the middle.

Scheifele-Matthews would beat Johansen-Turris or Karlsson-Stastny or Couture-Pavs/Jumbo etc any day.

Laine can be a great momentum changer if he has that flow going with his shot when it feels like everything is going in but that type of confidence is tough to get in the playoffs. He'd have to have last years Ovechkin-like efficiency before i take him over Matthews and Ovi has only had couple runs like that in his entire career.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Jets fan voting Matthews. I know people like to talk how he didn't have a good playoff (altho he was good in 16-17) but to me he's still a guy who you love to have for those heavier games down the stretch. Especially being a center it's important to match other heavyweights down the middle.

Scheifele-Matthews would beat Johansen-Turris or Karlsson-Stastny or Couture-Pavs/Jumbo etc any day.

Laine can be a great momentum changer if he has that flow going with his shot when it feels like everything is going in but that type of confidence is tough to get in the playoffs. He'd have to have last years Ovechkin-like efficiency before i take him over Matthews and Ovi has only had couple runs like that in his entire career.

Matthews-Scheifele, you mean.

Reactions: 4uston Matthews

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Flip a coin. Two very good young players. But I’d probably take Matthews. He was disappointing last year in the playoffs but it’s a small sample size and at least he tried to push back and be physical unlike Nylander. I admired that. Matthews as a center brings that extra dimension imo so slight edge to him

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Flip a coin. Two very good young players. But I’d probably take Matthews. He was disappointing last year in the playoffs but it’s a small sample size and at least he tried to push back and be physical unlike Nylander. I admired that. Matthews as a center brings that extra dimension imo so slight edge to him
There is also the sample size when Matthews had 4 goals and 1 assist in the six games against Washington in 2017. Thought I mention it since others only want to mention his performance against the Bruins during his most recent playoff stretch of games.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
matthews is a landslide. all things being equal, edge goes to the C

so far Am34 has 4g/6pts though while Laine has 1g/2pts..so its not equal

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think Matthews' style is more suited to playoff success, largely because a lot of what he does is similar to what Crosby does well (ie. puck protection down low and nifty hands around the net).

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
matthews is a landslide. all things being equal, edge goes to the C

so far Am34 has 4g/6pts though while Laine has 1g/2pts..so its not equal

While i agree that Matthews is better are you really using a sample size of 3 games to prove your point?

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Matthews. He struggled in the 2018 playoffs but was excellent in the 2017 playoffs. Laine struggles too but Schiefele went beast mode and got them to the WCF.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Please by all means make more threads and polls about Matthews it's so exciting.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Well alright.

You know you don't actually need to enter these threads, scroll to the bottom, write some salty complaint and post it, right? You can just choose to ignore them, or even use the ignore thread option.

Even easier, just ignore varank :laugh:

Reactions: varank

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad