Laine or Matthews for a playoff run this year?

Who would you choose?

• Total voters

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Laine may have put up a decent amount of points in the playoffs last season, but it was mostly because he leached off linemates and was actually pretty terrible offensively (only positive was he wasn't a defensive liability) .

Pretty sure both he and Matthews played injured because neither were even a quarter the player they were in the regular season. None the less, I pick Matthews in this poll, but have very high hopes for Laine, too.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Laine + Mcdavid would be by far the best duo in the league....

Or put him with playoff Drai, jeeezz

I mean Matthews is just as good if not better of a scorer and gives you so much more. Still makes sense to take Matthews and put him with McDavid like at the worlds where they dominated.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I mean Matthews is just as good if not better of a scorer and gives you so much more. Still makes sense to take Matthews and put him with McDavid like at the worlds where they dominated.
True, although what really made me choose Laine was that he's a righty. Mcdavid can feed Laine one-ts on the pp all day long whereas with Matthews one of them would be off handed

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I like centers so I'll go with Matthews. I don't think Laine has shown a level like Patrick Kane or Alexander Ovechkin where I'd maybe take them over a center of similar skill.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
This is obviously Matthews.

Laine is great and up there in terms of goalscoring, but Matthews can dominate games in a completely different way.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
And yeah this really comes down to team need. If you already have 2 elite centers, then you can plug in Laine and reap the reward. If you're like 75% of the teams in the league that don't have an elite 1C, you go Matthews.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
What? That's not even a sample size? That's just age difference. What?
It was my attempt at a sarcastic reply because during their rookie seasons I always read the excuse from Jets fans how Laine was better since he was 7 months younger, even though that sample size did not mean anything.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
And yeah this really comes down to team need. If you already have 2 elite centers, then you can plug in Laine and reap the reward. If you're like 75% of the teams in the league that don't have an elite 1C, you go Matthews.
Or you can pick Matthews and play him on wing... Or as the 1C since he is probably better than both of your elite centers...

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
Gotta take the guy who's proven he can take his team to the Conference Finals. AM is great but keeps getting bounced in the first round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->