Laine is not that good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Agreed. The best part about Laine imo is he doesn't even need to be good to have an impact on the scoresheet thanks to that shot of his. Not many players have a tool that can break a game open in an instant like that with any sort of regularity

Pretty much. The fact that he can get on the scoresheet this often, without actually being an impact player on the ice most of the time, is pretty telling of what makes him so dangerous.

We've seen what he can do when his physique and skating is on par with other players on the ice, whether it was 2nd half of the season in Liiga or WJC's (yes it's a junior tournament but he wasn't even 18 so he was still going up against older players), Kid can do incredible things out there.

Now it's just about waiting for him to get on par with NHL players which is always the biggest jump, and while we're waiting, i don't mind seeing him score every other game :laugh:

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Agreed. The best part about Laine imo is he doesn't even need to be good to have an impact on the scoresheet thanks to that shot of his. Not many players have a tool that can break a game open in an instant like that with any sort of regularity
You hit the nail on the head. Laine is a very special player, but his game does need work. I think his confidence isn't where it needs to be. I would have loved to see him with Stamkos or Tavares, not that it will ever happen. Though with Yzerman at the wheel in Tampa, he'll trade Yanni Gourde for Laine, and convince the Jets they won the trade....

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Why are you bringing up Matthews in a Laine thread?

Insecurity much?
How funny and ironic this comment is coming from a Leaf fan especially like you. :D Dissing Laine in every possible thread, even if it hasn’t really had to do with Laine. Oh, and in case you are lacking some reading comprehension, I have to probably explain that I brought up Matthews missing and Toronto winning more when he is missing than when he is playing, just as an example of how it is a team sport and one player by himself can’t change much after all. Matthews himself was practically irrelevant. The situation was the point, if your comprehension was not enough for realizing it by now...

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
How funny and ironic this comment is coming from a Leaf fan especially like you. :D Dissing Laine in every possible thread, even if it hasn’t really had to do with Laine. Oh, and in case you are lacking some reading comprehension, I have to probably explain that I brought up Matthews missing and Toronto winning more when he is missing than when he is playing, just as an example of how it is a team sport and one player by himself can’t change much after all. Matthews himself was practically irrelevant. The situation was the point, if your comprehension was not enough for realizing it by now...

I'm trying to bring objective discussion to the table regarding Laine's worrisome production away from Scheifele and you're off on a tangent about Auston Matthews. Do you not have enough confidence in your boy?

These aren't "disses", they're very real and provable facts.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
They are addicted to Laine.

They keep talking about him in their own boards, in public boars, Instagram, facebook etc.

They talk about more than they do talk about most of their own players.

He is more hyped in Toronto than Finland.

Who would've guessed?

Lmao not even close. Laine is rarely brought up on the Leafs board, and I never see him mentioned by Leaf fans anywhere else.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
I'm trying to bring objective discussion to the table regarding Laine's worrisome production away from Scheifele and you're off on a tangent about Auston Matthews. Do you not have enough confidence in your boy?

No they were not. Everyone knows your agenda and hatred against Laine. Go troll under a bridge or wherever your school day starts.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Because the only non-Jets fans in this thread are Leaf fans... I and like many others don't think that is simply a coincidence... I mean the op is a Leafs fan.... I mean the fact you and the other guys are here shouts insecurity in itself, do Oiler fans hound all the Eichel Threads???
Are you delusional? Like when you created a second account Martha? Busquets is a finn, who likes Puljujarvi, and is far from a Leafs fan, but I guess its just easy to blame us for anything you don't like. I have no problem with people blaming Leafs fans for things they actually did, but you've built up such a ridiculous siege mentality that you are blaming Leafs fans for things that they haven't even done.

McCullogh

Feb 4, 2006
Paris
Wow, that this thread even exist. Laine is amazing and will even be more amazing as he will only get better. He could still play in the JWC god dang it.
36 goals as a rookie (in a none playoff team) and 9 goals in 16 games this season is nothing short of superb. I think as he gains more experiense his two-way game and other aspects will improve while he will still score goals at the same impressive rate.

The only bad thing about Laine is that he wasnt born on the other side of the Baltic Ocean so he would playing for Sweden so I could cheer more for him. :)

ijuka

May 14, 2016
What would be funny is is Laine scores 50 goals in 95 total career games or less. It'd be fun just to see how no one will even mention or consider that a worthy accomplishment at all despite having such headlines when Matthews did it in 96 games(Laine now has scored 45 goals in his first 89 NHL games).

Well it's unfortunate the kind of an effect Laine has on Bryan Little. Guy gets paid 5mil a year and has only scored 1 goal. Laine should probably try to help him a little with his playmaking as that should be his job on the line, I guess. But if you do actually believe it's Laine's fault Little only has 6 points thus far, it's a shame that a veteran like him cannot score even at a third liner's rate in spite of having a dead weight player like Laine on his line. Ehler's production also fell off a cliff the moment he was put with the Little+Laine duo.

Now, I assume you think it too is only because of Laine but try thinking about it from the perspective of Little just perhaps not being a good fit with Laine.

Reactions: illone84

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
As far as I am concerned The Jets won the lottery this draft. They were not even that bad a team but jumped from 7 to 2 to steal what would be a 1st OA pick in some year's drafts.

This is why it's hard to take you serious a lot of the times because you speak in extremes and don't really look at the big picture overall.

The way that particular draft was, there were winners and losers.

Yes, the Jets jumped up a lot of spots to grab a fantastic player, that made them A winner. The Leafs badly needed a franchise center, and no other pick came(or comes close today) filled that need for them. The Leafs not falling back, despite having an over 90% chance to fall back on that FINAL lottery ball, makes them A winner as well. Where would the Leafs be without Matthews?

Then you have the losers, that dropped back etc.

Each draft is different, but it is obvious that both the Leafs and Jets were clear winners on that day.

There are layers to this.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
This is why it's hard to take you serious a lot of the times because you speak in extremes and don't really look at the big picture overall.

The way that particular draft was, there were winners and losers.

Yes, the Jets jumped up a lot of spots to grab a fantastic player, that made them A winner. The Leafs badly needed a franchise center, and no other pick came(or comes close today) filled that need for them. The Leafs not falling back, despite having an over 90% chance to fall back on that FINAL lottery ball, makes them A winner as well. Where would the Leafs be without Matthews?

Then you have the losers, that dropped back etc.

Each draft is different, but it is obvious that both the Leafs and Jets were clear winners on that day.

There are layers to this.
At worst, the Leafs would have picked 2nd. At worst, the Jets could have picked 8th. There is not much doubt that the Jets were the big winners on draft day, and I don't think for one second that's even debatable. Either way, the Leafs were getting one of Matthews or Laine.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
At worst, the Leafs would have picked 2nd. At worst, the Jets could have picked 8th. There is not much doubt that the Jets were the big winners on draft day, and I don't think for one second that's even debatable. Either way, the Leafs were getting one of Matthews or Laine.

Leafs could have actually dropped to the 4th pick as 2016 was the first draft with the 3 lotteries.

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016

At worst Leafs could have dropped to 4th so you're pretty off here.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Leafs could have actually dropped to the 4th pick as 2016 was the first draft with the 3 lotteries.

So, if we're going by "worst case" scenario it's Pulju vs. Alex Nylander? Or would it have been possible for the Leafs to go with someone else than Pulju at #4?

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Because the only non-Jets fans in this thread are Leaf fans... I and like many others don't think that is simply a coincidence... I mean the op is a Leafs fan.... I mean the fact you and the other guys are here shouts insecurity in itself, do Oiler fans hound all the Eichel Threads???

Who do you think started comparing the number 1pick to the number 2 pick? Only one side stands to gain.

Either way I cant believe were still doing this, Laine is fine, some crazed lunatics had him scoring 60 this year and are now concerned, end of the non-story.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

It's funny, you make it seem like the Leafs weren't big winners, but they finished ahead of the Jets last year and made the playoffs, and they're doing better this year too, all despite the fact the Jets were supposedly years ahead in their rebuild according to the experts here.

If the Leafs had picked 2nd or lower they would have missed the playoffs last year, probably not been able to sign Marleau and Hainsey, and who knows where they'd be this year but probably also out of a playoff spot given how much Matthews carried the team up until he got injured.

Reactions: TDK88

Carson22

Oct 9, 2017
It's funny, you make it seem like the Leafs weren't big winners, but they finished ahead of the Jets last year and made the playoffs, and they're doing better this year too, all despite the fact the Jets were supposedly years ahead in their rebuild according to the experts here.

If the Leafs had picked 2nd or lower they would have missed the playoffs last year, probably not been able to sign Marleau and Hainsey, and who knows where they'd be this year but probably also out of a playoff spot given how much Matthews carried the team up until he got injured.
When you say “doing better this year too” are you thinking 7 losses are better than 4 losses? I take it you are still living in the race for last place in the league mode still. If that is the case...you are way better.

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016

IPS and objective discussion regarding Laine do not go together. Sorry not sorry.

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
When you say “doing better this year too” are you thinking 7 losses are better than 4 losses? I take it you are still living in the race for last place in the league mode still. If that is the case...you are way better.

Weird response considering the Leafs have more points than the Jets right now. Games in hand aren't guaranteed points y'know...

Shayne Corsi

Oct 17, 2017
I wasn't around last season, but I can see why Laine fans get such a bad rap. You're way more crazed than even McDavid fans, who are starting to look modest and temperate by comparison. Laine is a huge talent, but he's not yet the reason the Jets are even good again. Slow down, everyone expects him to be a big time player, but the dismissiveness regarding any even intimated weaknesses in his game is too much.

Reactions: bobermay
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad