Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
7b5a5b3c936f0070329f4fcf200f9428.gif
Off topic a bit but did anyone see that Mark Walburg is doing a movie remake of the 6 million dollar man but it's called the 6 billion dollar man ? Inflation is a bitch man . :laugh:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
This seems the most sensible solution...and they couldn't possibly make Laine any less fleet of foot than he already is....... :sarcasm:

Brenden Dillon, who leads the Stars in blocked shots, wears foot protectors. His cover three-quarters of the skate, and he said they don't hinder his movement.
"I think of them as bullet-proof," Dillon said. "I feel 100 per cent confident wearing them. Before I was trying to get my stick in the way or my glove in the way. I would suggest more guys should wear them."

Bad puck luck: Nobody wants a broken foot, but skate protectors can be tough sell for players | The Hockey News
The shot that hit Laine looked like it was above his skate...so would a skate protector even have made a difference?

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
The shot that hit Laine looked like it was above his skate...so would a skate protector even have made a difference?
Not sure about this specific instance, but statistically, a lot of foot fractures occur in the area protected by them.
Above the foot, I wonder whether teaching young players not to turn away from the shot might prevent exposure of the ankle and allow shin protectors to do their work. Laine, as an example, tends to turn his body at an odd angle when he anticipates contact (including in the corners).

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Not sure about this specific instance, but statistically, a lot of foot fractures occur in the area protected by them.
Above the foot, I wonder whether teaching young players not to turn away from the shot might prevent exposure of the ankle and allow shin protectors to do their work. Laine, as an example, tends to turn his body at an odd angle when he anticipates contact (including in the corners).
Coach always said to us that there's no point in turning your back to a shot when all your protection is in the front. But it can be difficult to fight against that natural instinct.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018

You are right, it hit him in the shin area, probably bruising his calf. The calf is so thick it almost certainly wouldn't affect the bone. Here's a screen grab - I highlighted the puck (the dark blob) on impact.

Dr. Tommigun.

Attachments

• LainePuck.png
    LainePuck.png
    503.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Reactions: Guyantics

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Coach always said to us that there's no point in turning your back to a shot when all your protection is in the front. But it can be difficult to fight against that natural instinct.

Hockey parents should address this at an early age. Strap the kid to a tree in full gear and blast pucks at him for hours. Eventually, Pavlovian conditioning takes hold and the natural instinct will be to face the shot head on.

See, maybe I should have had kids. :nod:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I still don't know what some of you who keep saying guys like Laine "shouldn't be blocking shots" are really talking about. I mean it's an easy thing to say, but what specifically should Laine be doing instead of what he did on that play? Should he have been standing at the blue line waiting for one of his team mates to get the puck and pass it to him? He was in the shooting lane and a guy took a shot. He's not going to Ole right? He's not going to dive out of the way to avoid getting hit...should he have stood differently? I don't know...I guess maybe. I don't think there's any specific way he can stand there that assures he won't get hurt. The puck can always find a soft spot somewhere...
In general, I think that the defending players should get out of the way and allow the goalie a clear view. Just a gut feeling, but I believe that more goals are caused by accidental screening / deflections by the defending player than are prevented by blocking the shots. Add the injury concerns and it really isn't a very close decision in my eyes.

Of course, if a defender just gets out of the way this can be abused by the opposing player taking advantage of the space generated. I guess making the correct decision would come down to hockey IQ and experience.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Any info yet on the injury yet? 11 pages of discussion and speculation.

Jets were off yesterday. Expect an update shortly from Maurice.

Prediction: day to day with LBI won't play tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad