Injury Report: Laine injury PANIC! PANIC! OH GOD PANIC! thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I don't think these are mutually exclusive.

As far as our sniper goes, back a few years in my hockey league I took a shot right off the side of the foot and I was 100% sure it was broken. Went to the hospital and nurse was like "it's not broken suck it up". Those shot blocks can hurt like hell. I couldn't walk on it but within a few days it was better.

Certainly, didn't mean to imply that they were. I was just saying that I wasn't built for contact sports, and that I didn't want to damage one of the few things on me that worked well by having my head slammed by people much larger and stronger than I could ever be.

SirKlaus

Nov 8, 2017
As far as our sniper goes, back a few years in my hockey league I took a shot right off the side of the foot and I was 100% sure it was broken. Went to the hospital and nurse was like "it's not broken suck it up". Those shot blocks can hurt like hell. I couldn't walk on it but within a few days it was better.

Lol nurse tells you to suck it up - hockey mama perhaps?

tenor.gif

Reactions: Howard Chuck

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Of course any Winnipeg fan welcomes blocked shots by any player as it contributes in winning games big time but it isn't good if Laine or Wheeler have these values higher than some players like Little and Armia whose roles are defense first.
we don't welcome blocked shots.
blocking shots is a last resort that, as posted numerous times here and elsewhere, cover up d zone breakdowns. if you're good at protecting your D zone, you will limit shot attempts.
so it's chicken vs egg regarding shot blocks. for Laine being as high as you claim he is, it may just be a sign that he isn't where he should be re: d zone coverage. one can argue the same for Wheeler, but, as others said, his penalty kill time may skew that statistic. the fact that Little and Armia aren't blocking enough shots to satisfy you may actually be an expression of them doing more to protect the D zone that there isn't a need to block shots because there are fewer shot attempts.

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
I love when an internet commentator can come on here and tell me I'm entitled to my opinion. Tell me something I don't already know. As for playing hockey, damn right I didn't. Same with football. I was always more brain than brawn, and I felt it best to keep it that way.

My point is when you're playing none of that matters, you're trying to win the game. I think it would be tough for a young player to just step aside and say "here you go just shoot around me, I don't want to get hurt because I'm a star", not only would his coach be furious, but for me it would be pretty hard to look my teammates in the eyes who lay their body on the line every night.

Reactions: LAINEC

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
My point is when you're playing none of that matters, you're trying to win the game. I think it would be tough for a young player to just step aside and say "here you go just shoot around me, I don't want to get hurt because I'm a star", not only would his coach be furious, but for me it would be pretty hard to look my teammates in the eyes who lay their body on the line every night.

Yeah I can't believe the sentiment that stars shouldn't be blocking shots. Of course they should, this isn't the 80s anymore. Sometimes they get hurt, it's part of the game.

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
Yeah I can't believe the sentiment that stars shouldn't be blocking shots. Of course they should, this isn't the 80s anymore. Sometimes they get hurt, it's part of the game.

What bothers me is when people watch the game on their tv and have no idea how fast the game is or what it takes to win. You can't sit there and think hmmm should I block this shot? Laine is filling out his lane but turns at the last minute, if he doesn't turn he's probably fine.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Laine shouldn't be blocking low percentage shots or punching helmets or doing any grunt work that may injure him and stop him from playing games. It may cost the team the occasional fluke goal from a perimeter shot, but Laine more than compensates that easily by staying healthy and scoring tons of goals (and creating space for others to do so as well). Maurice should tell Laine to be the smart player in games like these, and leave the shot blocking to other guys like Tanev. It's a different situation of course when it is a game or period that really matters. In those cases he'll likely go all in anyway, since his compete level is off the charts in important games like the play offs.

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
Laine shouldn't be blocking low percentage shots or punching helmets or doing any grunt work that may injure him and stop him from playing games. It may cost the team the occasional fluke goal from a perimeter shot, but Laine more than compensates that easily by staying healthy and scoring tons of goals (and creating space for others to do so as well). Maurice should tell Laine to be the smart player in games like these, and leave the shot blocking to other guys like Tanev. It's a different situation of course when it is a game or period that really matters. In those cases he'll likely go all in anyway, since his compete level is off the charts in important games like the play offs.

Ya try telling the players which period matters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Both of you have a point. But I don't think a player should ever be blamed for doing good things for the team. It's part of the game, like it or not. There's always a risk for injury if we look at every single play in slow motion.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think people are expecting players to play the game at that speed with way too much thought.

Most of what you do in the game is muscle memory or almost instinctual, you do it so much. It's about your passion, spirit and what you are taught to do, not thinking about every play before you do it. If you are doing that you are behind the play the entire game.

Reactions: Monkey D Luffy

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Can't they just amputate it and replace with an even better biomechanical one before next game?

They were going to do that but then they noticed a genetic oddity with Laine: his nose runs and his feet smell. They're trying to locate a prosthetic foot with nostrils.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I still don't know what some of you who keep saying guys like Laine "shouldn't be blocking shots" are really talking about. I mean it's an easy thing to say, but what specifically should Laine be doing instead of what he did on that play? Should he have been standing at the blue line waiting for one of his team mates to get the puck and pass it to him? He was in the shooting lane and a guy took a shot. He's not going to Ole right? He's not going to dive out of the way to avoid getting hit...should he have stood differently? I don't know...I guess maybe. I don't think there's any specific way he can stand there that assures he won't get hurt. The puck can always find a soft spot somewhere...

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
I still don't know what some of you who keep saying guys like Laine "shouldn't be blocking shots" are really talking about. I mean it's an easy thing to say, but what specifically should Laine be doing instead of what he did on that play? Should he have been standing at the blue line waiting for one of his team mates to get the puck and pass it to him? He was in the shooting lane and a guy took a shot. He's not going to Ole right? He's not going to dive out of the way to avoid getting hit...should he have stood differently? I don't know...I guess maybe. I don't think there's any specific way he can stand there that assures he won't get hurt. The puck can always find a soft spot somewhere...

I like the "they have other guys who should be blocking shots" line...Those other guys aren't on the ice, hard to block the shot from the bench.

Laine did the right thing but had bad luck, that's all there is to it really.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I like the "they have other guys who should be blocking shots" line...Those other guys aren't on the ice, hard to block the shot from the bench.

Laine did the right thing but had bad luck, that's all there is to it really.

Yeah, can you say over-analysing :D It was bad luck, nothing more. It can happen on every single play, there's always an injury risk. It's part of the game.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
This seems the most sensible solution...and they couldn't possibly make Laine any less fleet of foot than he already is....... :sarcasm:

Brenden Dillon, who leads the Stars in blocked shots, wears foot protectors. His cover three-quarters of the skate, and he said they don't hinder his movement.
"I think of them as bullet-proof," Dillon said. "I feel 100 per cent confident wearing them. Before I was trying to get my stick in the way or my glove in the way. I would suggest more guys should wear them."

Bad puck luck: Nobody wants a broken foot, but skate protectors can be tough sell for players | The Hockey News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad